Home Unreal Engine

Lighting issue in UE4, possibly lightmap issue

Tzur_H
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I have this level I'm building as part of uni project, it's due next week so I'd really appreciate any help!

I'm having an issue of different lighting, or seams between floor pieces

Here are pics to better explain what's going on

I made a second UV channel for each of the pieces, the small tiles have resolution of 64, the big ones have 128.  Also, for the material I'm using WorldAlignedTexture, if that matters.

Please help!

Replies

• Obscura
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, I did some Google search prior to posting here, and I've read that whole thread.  I thought I set up my UVs correctly for lightmaps in Modo, but I was wrong. I didn't set up the grid spacing and snapping correctly.  Thanks, I've solved it now.  I gotta say, this is quite a painful process.

Got one question though, for lightmap UVs, should I follow same principles as of UVing for textures just with the addition of snapping the edges to grid lines based on target resolution and to leave more padding between each shell?  Things like, even texel density across shells, relaxes as much as possible etc. ?
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    If you want to avoid any problems like that you'll have to make it one mesh and one uv shell. Then it will process it at the same time and there's no bleeding happening. Problem gets less apparent if you bake with higher quality.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Cay said:
    If you want to avoid any problems like that you'll have to make it one mesh and one uv shell. Then it will process it at the same time and there's no bleeding happening. Problem gets less apparent if you bake with higher quality.
    How would you go about laying out the patterns on the floor if you do it as 1 mesh?
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I've merged all of the floor pieces into one as @CAY suggested, and it fixed the issue.
    As you can see in the image below, it's quite large, and I had to crank up the lightmap res to 512 in order to get decent shadows.  But, I wanted to ask. Is this the best way to go about this optimization wise?  It also seems to defeat the purpose of modular construction for me but hey I dunno, I'm new to all of this :D

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Wouldn't it be easier to use a decal to place that round circle thing, and just have a normal floor below it?