Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

My first ever Demo Reel

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
Here is my first ever animation reel. I pretty much started with zero knowledge of animation and spent a few years practicing animation on my own and with iAnimate. I'm still at iA and I'm constantly learning new workflows and techniques so I still feel like there's a long way to go.

Hopefully, I'm somewhat close to a junior level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8XL9aromGU

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if the lack of replies is a good or bad sign. Hmm.... :)
  • Yoji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
     Sadly, I don't know if many people saw this post, youtube showed only 52 views with me included. I for one liked it, and think it's promising. I'd have to add a few things though, I think the guard that's being taken out turns his head or more like throws his head too soon when she grabs him to do the twist, like his head is already launching towards her twist without her input, and I was really eager to see the loop in the "press X repeatedly" scene to remove the knife but it was an instant pull. I also wanted to ask if you had a face rig or at least a more advanced one cause all of the characters have totally mild emotions on their face in every demo. 
     Putting that aside, I can't say I'm the best animator so don't take my word for it, hope the post gets bumped so you can get some more feedback ^^ 
    Keep up the good work :)
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. Only the skate girl and the guard have proper facial controls, the others don't. I thought I should focus more on mechanics since I really want to work in games. I still think I need an idle in there.

There is still stuff I would like to polish like extending the press x bit and cleaning some stuff up but I'm in my last game workshop at ianimate and thought I'd try sending this reel out to see what happens. So far, nothing, probably because I have zero experience.

Thanks again.
  • 13randO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    13randO polycounter lvl 3
    Some cool stuff in here for sure. Just a few things to look at:  The neck snap in your takedown scene is a tad too slow and floaty. I also found that some of the vertical translation on the skate boarder to feel a tad uneven. For instance, when she begins to change poses after she grabs the half pipe, I don't feel the weight in the action. I hope something from that was useful to you!
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback,  I definitely plan to go back to these shots to try to add some extra polish. I get what you're saying about the skater girl, I'll probably drop her cog quicker after she grabs the half pipe and add some overlap into the spine. Might even remove the skate shot altogether, since it might not be worth it to keep polishing the shot.
  • Gunoozer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very Very nice showreel my friend. Similar to what every one else have said, i could only notice some neck popping issues in the takedown animation and other issues people have already said. You have said you may need and idle and this is probably a good idea as all characters in games will need an idle animation so showing you can do that is probably a must :) but very good job