Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

P1 Psylocke - Development Thread

Hey Everyone!

I started this project about 2 weeks ago and I just remembered that I haven't been sharing the updates over on the forums.  So here is a rough cut of development as it sits currently. 
I----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
In excitement of the upcoming movie, I decided to make my own iteration of one of my favorite x-men characters: Psylocke
Notes/intentions: 
  • Pay homage to my favorite iteration of the character, Capcom's old sprite work.
  • adding a little bit of design uniqueness via, my favorite elements from Psylocke's history. The Katana Shirayuki, and her armored costume.
  • Create a model within the styling of SFIV/ SFV's character direction. It is an art direction that I have become quite infatuated with.
  • get back into character modelling by taking a mandated approach to increasing my skill level by spending time on the craft. 
Phase 1 Conception -
Below you can see the design concepts/plans.

I adapted the idea of the armor to supplement the ninja costume, as its more iconic and frankly.. more appealing. I also got a little out there design wise with the concept of the Katana/scabbard. But I used it as a way to create some asymmetry in the design/silhouette, as well as bring my own unique stamp to the character.

Phase 2 Production

With the design set, I began the High Poly modelling. (Base mesh taken from 3DsMax, organic surfaces sculpted in ZBrush, and hardsurfaces modelling in 3DsMax)

First thing I got to modelling is the head, the base mesh for the hair was a tesselated plane, which was then shaped in Zbrush. (Bottom lip needs to be reshaped.. Will fix later, its on my list.)

After that I began sculpting a body. Keeping the art directio nin mind I seeked to create a strong, feminine shape in line with comic book heroines.

Here we have some re shaping of the elements and some play with MatCaps.

A closer look at some leg wips showcasing the proportion/style

Currently, I have (GREATLY) decimated hi-poly models and moved it back to 3Ds max as a reference for some of the hard surface modelling. Not to worry the detailed sculpt will become a normal map, but on a proper lowpoly mesh, not the decimated one you can see here.

I also played with some basic 3Dsmax materials to better allude to the end goal.

And that is where we are with P1 Psylocke.
Comments and crits are welcome and if you want to check out more media from the development, you can find it on my social media pages.

Replies