Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yet another post-apocalyptic vehicle...

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6
Most Recent 9/28/16:

Hey hey hey!

So on and off over the course of the last month I've been working on a post-apocalyptic/Mad Max type vehicle. For the car base, I decided to use a late 70s Trans Am - Smokey and the Bandit style  :smile:  

Pretty much done with the HP in Maya for now. Want to take this into ZBrush next, but would love some feedback before I do so!

Thanks all

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    one minigun would look better and less silly, also maybe some wider fenders would look good. not sure about the chains holding the tanks, add maybe some crossing ropes from under the fenders or so, aside pretty nice. What about side exhausts ?
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    personally I would give this baby an exocage.

The miniguns on the roof and the front steel teeth look really heavy. Handling and performance is probably completely ruined. :D
    I suggest making the front plate a little bit thinner.

Edit: on a rear wheel drive car, the rear tires are much wider than the front. (25% on my car)
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Shrike said:
    one minigun would look better and less silly, also maybe some wider fenders would look good. not sure about the chains holding the tanks, add maybe some crossing ropes from under the fenders or so, aside pretty nice. What about side exhausts ?
    defragger said:
    personally I would give this baby an exocage.

The miniguns on the roof and the front steel teeth look really heavy. Handling and performance is probably completely ruined. :D
    I suggest making the front plate a little bit thinner.

Edit: on a rear wheel drive car, the rear tires are much wider than the front. (25% on my car)
    Thanks for the feedback!

@Shrike I had some side exhausts very similar to the Mad Max cars, but wanted to get a little less Mad Max, so I removed them. I'll look more into this. Re: the guns...yah you're right, they are a bit over the top...thought it would be cool to have 2 guns since the car has the classic T-Tops so two people could use the guns. It is a bit overkill though :smile: 

@defragger Exocage! Wider back wheels! Good call. Thanks :smile: 
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    or front wheels a bit more narrow. ;)

I like the Mad Max style and it looks cool already. Please keep us updated.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Here's an update! Got some time this past week to work some more on this.

Things I changed:
    - different, wider back tires
    - one gun instead of two
    - added some ammo boxes
    - added a spotlight
    - added some wraps around some metal and exhaust pipes (though these are placeholder until I can get them in zbrush)
    - added side step boards
    - worked a bit more on the gun detail - added nuts/bolts and some other details to match the references I was using
    - thinned out the front metal a good amount
    - some overall adjustments and tweaks all over

I realize the straps are a little thin, mainly for the back tanks. Already made a note to fix those.

hit me with some C&C! :smiley: 

• mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Update! Had some time recently to finish the low poly between other work. Here's what I have for now. Let me know what you guys think!

Here's some quick Marmo renders...
    Textured with Substance Painter and Designer

• amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looks great.
    I would love to see some damages and scratches
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    @amirabd2130 Thanks man! Good call on the dents and more scratches. I've added some dents to the sides and rear of the car as well as scratches to the side panels, hood and rear. It looks much better and breaks it up nicely B) . Also touched up a bit of the rust in places.

I didn't want to go too overboard with the dents since the sides of the cars UVs are stacked. Needed to stack them to make room for all the other components on the car I wanted to have in one map . I have the whole thing separated into 4 different texture sheets - car body and misc pieces (metal bumper, bear, chains, pipes, wraps, sideboards etc.), tires/rims, interior components,  and machine gun. I think it's just about done and ready to take into UE4 for final renders unless anyone else has some C&C?

updates:

• amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looks better :+1:
    maybe add more deeper scratches on the front