Home Technical Talk

Skylight Issue - Blowing Out the Lighting (Indoor scene)

Garasin
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Garasin polycounter lvl 10

Hey everyone,

I'm having a little trouble filling my scene with some ambient lighting. I'm using a skylight but the issue is it seems to totally blow out the lighting in the scene and coat everything in this weird blue hue even when I bring the intensity down to 0.1.

The lighting is fine when just using a point light the issue is it's not replicating the natural ambient lighting that I'd get from a skylight.

Any ideas what could be causing this? 

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The skylight is replicating the natural light, that's the issue. You're picking up the exterior lighting and trying to use it in an interior. 

A couple of things you can try:
     - Use multiple Static point lights to increase brightness where needed(static so they don't provide any specularity)
    - Adjust your baked lighting settings so you get more bounces
    - Place cubemap probes around the interior to pick up the lighting(the static lights won't be picked up in the cubemap though, but it can help bounce around the dominant light you have from the windows)
    - Adjust your exposure and values in a post-process volume

I'd probably do a combination of these, but it also depends on if you're even baking your lights. If not, you can look into some of the real-time GI features in UE4. 
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Garasin polycounter lvl 10
    Ahhh! That makes sense. I thought because it was indoors it wouldn't pick up much of the exterior (after having read a little more on skylights I now see it doesn't matter where they actually are placed in the scene).

Thanks for the reply and for offering some alternative approaches, I'll get on them right away!