Home Technical Talk

what are your opinions on zmodeller?

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
just been mucking around with it and for adding simple edge loops its fine, but it seems a bit flakey overall. it would be good if you could stop it acccidentally selecting polygons when you are trying to work on edges for one thing. trying to terminate an edge loop is a real pain too.  maybe I am not doing it right:/

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You'll probably get 2 kinds of answers to that :

- One by Zbrushwizards who mostly sculpt, who will claim that it is totally awesome and that everything can be modelled with it (if one has the patience to sit through the backwards workflow) ;

- The other by production artists who are requested to create both reusable highpoly meshes and their corresponding lowpoly models, who've tried the tool but quickly saw that they've been able to do almost everything it can in their modeling application of choice for years, and therefore don't bother using it because their is no point for them to use it in the first place.

The problem is that while both answers are correct, the two kind of artists tend to somehow get in heated debates about it for some reason. Maybe because of a confusion between "detail" and "accuracy".

Personally my experience seems to align with yours. Some interesting concepts and some neat hidden features (like the way it can be used to populate chainmail using micromesh), but besides that I don't really see the point of it. Maybe for improv models/"3d concepts" ? But 3d improv is almost never needed in actual asset production ...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the other irksome thing is that if you add edge loops to an existing model that has uv's then they get totally messed up ie
    it does no kind of interpolation, just randomly messes up your uv's .
    re creasing its not proper creases just creates a really hard edge with no options. its still better to build in edge loops
    manually for that extra control.
    I mean yoU can build good stuff in it, looking at some of the tutOrials and there are some good features, but i really doubt
    at this stage I coould use it for any kind of production work as you say PIOR
    i think  have to look more in depth at it before I make an informed opinion, because it might turn out to be great
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I tried watching some videos to see if it was something that would actually be useful to me, but they always wound up taking like half an hour to make something that would take me 5 minutes in a normal modeling program, and it usually had a tell-tale blocky structure that 99% of ZModeler designs end up with.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I use it as a modification tool more than a modeller.

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I think it's going to be an amazing tool a couple versions from now.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    wake me up when it allows one to work on pre-existing subdivision levels/layers. then it could be invaluable to alter sculpt topology as production needs change without having to reproject. as it is now i do not see it as very useful for anybody who is already familiar with a traditional modelling app.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I actually love Zmodeler. and I would say im the midlle of @pior two extreme examples. Its a big part of my workflow, but I would never do production lowpoly modeling with it.

its great for just fixing a quick hard surface thing when your sculpting and dont want to switch programs. its also really great for just modifying and fixing things here and there, and the selection tool where you can hold down [alt] is something I use every day. I hate having to switch/open up Modo just to make a properly beveled cylinder and then re-import that to zbrush, it breaks the flow.

zmodeler is awesome, I really dont get all the hate for it.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

I tried it out. These models were done in ZB using modeller and brushes. I am definitely no wizard but I was just curious if I could make something with the modeller and how the integration is with keyshot. I think for product presentation the combo is quite powerful. It a little longer to model in the beginning but in ZBrush foe me its about producing a base, and then using the crazy sculpt tools to further develop the form. Its personal but there are things ZBrush is excellent at and other things I just do in Max. The nondestructive smooth is incredibly useful for things like flowing panels.

Here is a block in I am busy with. There is stuff I wouldn't bother to model in ZB and the other way around. However these are just doodles to explore what the modelling brush can do, they arnt production assets. So far the brush  is proving to be very good. I actually dont want zmodeller to do the same that my standard apps do, I see it as an expansion and not a replacement.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lotet said:
    I actually love Zmodeler. and I would say im the midlle of @pior two extreme examples. Its a big part of my workflow, but I would never do production lowpoly modeling with it.

its great for just fixing a quick hard surface thing when your sculpting and dont want to switch programs. its also really great for just modifying and fixing things here and there, and the selection tool where you can hold down [alt] is something I use every day. I hate having to switch/open up Modo just to make a properly beveled cylinder and then re-import that to zbrush, it breaks the flow.

zmodeler is awesome, I really dont get all the hate for it.
    That sounds interesting, can you explain your workflow further? I mean I get how it could be useful to tweak stuff but at what point in the pipeline would you do that? is it just before you export your highpoly to be baked? or is it at the beginning when you are blocking in shapes? I do my blocking in of shapes in maya and use zbrush to sculpt and refine organics but dont ever edit hard surface stuff in it as I thought zmodeller was too messy and unpredictable.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looking really nice kanga
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Ged said:
    That sounds interesting, can you explain your workflow further? I mean I get how it could be useful to tweak stuff but at what point in the pipeline would you do that? is it just before you export your highpoly to be baked? or is it at the beginning when you are blocking in shapes? I do my blocking in of shapes in maya and use zbrush to sculpt and refine organics but dont ever edit hard surface stuff in it as I thought zmodeller was too messy and unpredictable.
    Sure!
     ive actually recently started to record my process for "the beast" challenge. its just timelapses with some notes here and there, but it might help getting an idea on how it can be used. I think its power is best used combined with all the other zbrush tools.

look at it this way, its really not fair comparing a brush in zbrush with a complete stand alone program. Zmodeler is great, but in the end, its just a brush among a wide range of other tools.

if you dont wanna watch he whole thing, here are some time stamps:
    at 3:00 I use it to make a cloth seam, and at 7:10 I use it to convert zremeshed blob to a belt and clean up some other stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZLZKdDb2EM
    This one is pretty much Zmodeler with zremesher all the way through. (from 2:00-10:00)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7-mR50qhQ
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    So I guess for me right now Zmodeller is one of those things that I can't come up with a good reason to really learn and get good at. There's a whole list of things that I think would make me a better artist, and learning another piece of software (or in this case a feature) that has a similar feature set to another piece of software (Maya/Max) doesn't really seem worth it right now.

If they introduce something really revolutionary for modelling with Zmodeller, than yea I'll definitely give it a shot/try to work it into my pipeline.
  • Noobdief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to bother you since this is totally unrelated, but in 2008 or 2009 you commented on a post by Junkie_XL on a 3D model of a leader class megatron he made. Would you have any idea on if the 3D model can be found somewhere?