Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Ootrick - Ship Lounge

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
Latest: 

I've been wanting to update this for a while but have been quite busy. 
Rough lighting updates to improve focal point/composition. (sorry for the low quality builds/shots for now, still working up the lights) 

Previous "Final" 

Started working on a fly through! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNhyvZFaCt0
Stills from the fly through: 

Hey hey, It's been a while, found this concept and wanted to give it a go in unreal.                        

Concept from Oleg Danilenko -https://www.artstation.com/artist/olegdanilenko 

Started to block in the scene, I went right to final models as I didn't need to bake/retopo because I was going to use tiling textures made in substance.

Worked on the skybox when I felt inspired, added it to the bounce light. 

http://alexcpeterson.com/spacescape/  awesome piece of software that generates a procedural cube map of SPACE. I'm going to keep playing with this, it's FREE too. 

Not feeling the lighting yet, lots of models to go, I need to get the bedrooms and Facilities completed now.  let me know what you think! 

Replies

• Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Man! that looks gorgeous!
    At this stage I don't have too many critiques, I would say that you have a lot of sofas there,  and they look exactly the same. You can easily add colour variation to both the pillows and the sofas, or just to one of them. Play with that :D
    How did you do the skybox? It looks like Spacescape!
    Ootrick said:
    See what I did there?

• Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @n4uj  Thanks man! sorry I edited out some garbage I was blathering on about, appreciate the crit! Like the idea of giving the chair/couche materials some variance. 
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Had some more time to progress with the lights, fx, added the planet and starting some more props! 
  • Johan26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johan26 polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work indeed  :o  I like the architecture made for that view.

I believe your lamps are too bright and visually speaking i am not a fan of your floor, I would stick with the initial design by getting much less colors variation or even none, and a uniform pattern instead.
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking great! I really like the concept you chose. The only thing thats a little weird to me, and its partially the concept, is the chairs in the middle. In the concept they pass because they are more narrow and look like slightly private/single person spaces like you might see in an airport (or hotel in this case) but in your scene they read as "love-seat" width which makes them strangely "spectative?" Like those loveseats you'd see in movie theaters? Which leads my mind to wonder if we're all pointed at and watching something, why isn;t it that *awesome* skybox? Personally I'd either shrink them back down in width, or disregard the concept and play with the orientation to make them a more social space.

Loving the lighting fixtures, but as others have said, a tad too bright. I think the blue/orange is going to look wonderful down the road. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing more!
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johan26 said:
    Nice work indeed  :o  I like the architecture made for that view.

I believe your lamps are too bright and visually speaking i am not a fan of your floor, I would stick with the initial design by getting much less colors variation or even none, and a uniform pattern instead.
    Thaaanks. I totally agree, the pattern should be uniform I do like the color variation I'm somewhat attached to it right now, I'm going to change the pattern up and check it out thanks again! 
    Edit: You were so right, I made the pattern uniform and desaturated the base color a bit and it looks great, thanks!   

hmm_rock said:
    This is looking great! I really like the concept you chose. The only thing thats a little weird to me, and its partially the concept, is the chairs in the middle. In the concept they pass because they are more narrow and look like slightly private/single person spaces like you might see in an airport (or hotel in this case) but in your scene they read as "love-seat" width which makes them strangely "spectative?" Like those loveseats you'd see in movie theaters? Which leads my mind to wonder if we're all pointed at and watching something, why isn;t it that *awesome* skybox? Personally I'd either shrink them back down in width, or disregard the concept and play with the orientation to make them a more social space.

Loving the lighting fixtures, but as others have said, a tad too bright. I think the blue/orange is going to look wonderful down the road. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing more!
    This is what I needed to hear :) I'm having a bit of a hard time with the purpose/story and that gives me a step in the right direction, much appreciated! 

MUCH TO DO. BRB

• Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    I like the idea that there are candles and a tile floor in space. It's not very practical in terms of how we see space, but In the far future, they are going to want to take some of their home and life with them into space. Not everything is going to be a plastic/steel tech-fest. 
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Very nice project :)
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TEA MONSTER
    That's what I thought too, infarct when I was making the textures I had stated making the tiles as a synthetic, looking at fake tiles and so on. I'll post some of the textures shortly. 

@CRAZY_PIZEL
    Thanks a lot, it's been fun so far. Oleg has some really cool concepts. 

• jonnydjango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnydjango polycounter lvl 2

Wow! Looks fantastic. An unusual aproach on a space scene. I could be also a cruise ship. I absolutly love the lighting.

Great Space also! Maybe i should give spacescape another try...

• purplekami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    Loving the contrast of the warm inside lighting versus the cold exterior, really gives the scene a nice cozy feeling to it, I also love the work you did on the materials! My favorite part has to be the overhead light bulbs, the format is so bubbly and satisfying. My only nit picky detail would be that some of the chairs in the back don't look very practical to sit in, but again that's a pretty minor detail.
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    Hey @Ootrick !
    You're environment is coming along well man! I super dig it so far! I'm not sure if you're calling it done yet? but I think you can really push this piece some more. I think your environment could benefit from adding in a clear focal point, some contrast, and a higher range of values.

I made a sheet that makes it easier to see these points. When you see your piece as it is at the moment compared to the original concept you can see the differences between them. I'm not going to get into extreme detail and pick at everything  and point out what are some things that should be changed. I'll just keep this broad to make sure this post is concise.

Make your focal point clear by making it either the highest or lowest value within the scene and then putting it next to something that highly contrasts it. At the moment your focal point for your piece is the lights on the ceiling because they are the object where the human eye will naturally gravitate towards due to being the highest value and next to something that contrasts it. The original concept focal point is outer space because it's so bright and sitting next to contrasting elements. Don't be afraid to add in a bright directional light that will beam through the window. It can add in some great highlights and some of those moody shadows. 

Overall your stuff is solid and the composition is already there. If you just light it up to have the viewers eye gravitate towards the window and make that the focal point then I think you'll push this piece further.

Cheers,

• Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Wow! Looks fantastic. An unusual aproach on a space scene. I could be also a cruise ship. I absolutly love the lighting.

Great Space also! Maybe i should give spacescape another try...

Thanks, I had the same thoughts on the scene, I really wanted to push the lighting. 

Loving the contrast of the warm inside lighting versus the cold exterior, really gives the scene a nice cozy feeling to it, I also love the work you did on the materials! My favorite part has to be the overhead light bulbs, the format is so bubbly and satisfying. My only nit picky detail would be that some of the chairs in the back don't look very practical to sit in, but again that's a pretty minor detail.
    I'm not happy with the surrounding seats either, I think they need to be lower to the ground and have less length in the seat. Thanks for the kind words :) 

Synyster said:
    Hey @Ootrick !
    You're environment is coming along well man! I super dig it so far! I'm not sure if you're calling it done yet? but I think you can really push this piece some more. I think your environment could benefit from adding in a clear focal point, some contrast, and a higher range of values.

I made a sheet that makes it easier to see these points. When you see your piece as it is at the moment compared to the original concept you can see the differences between them. I'm not going to get into extreme detail and pick at everything  and point out what are some things that should be changed. I'll just keep this broad to make sure this post is concise.

Make your focal point clear by making it either the highest or lowest value within the scene and then putting it next to something that highly contrasts it. At the moment your focal point for your piece is the lights on the ceiling because they are the object where the human eye will naturally gravitate towards due to being the highest value and next to something that contrasts it. The original concept focal point is outer space because it's so bright and sitting next to contrasting elements. Don't be afraid to add in a bright directional light that will beam through the window. It can add in some great highlights and some of those moody shadows. 

Overall your stuff is solid and the composition is already there. If you just light it up to have the viewers eye gravitate towards the window and make that the focal point then I think you'll push this piece further.

Cheers,

Holy shit.
    Thank you for taking the time to help me push this! I'm not by any means calling it done yet. This is why I'm here, hoping to get feedback like this!
    Much appreciated, I was kind of stuck on getting the focal point really pop. This should be perfect! Thanks again! 

• Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    Anytime man! I look forward to seeing your next update :smiley: 

• Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster said:
    Anytime man! I look forward to seeing your next update :smiley: 

@Synyster
    Getting there! I've got some more time on my hands now and I've been excited to start with the updates. Again thanks a ton for the help! Here's the first pass for the lighting improvement (low quality grabs - See first post)