Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
badger5 polycounter lvl 7
Hello I am working on a UDK Environment and wanted to get feedback and critiques, I had a few questions what would be a good replacement to the archway I have? I was thinking of going with a limestone archway that was toppled over and if anyone knew a good tutorial for UDK 4 to make mist under the waterfall? Thank you for your time.

Replies

• badger5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • badger5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Your archway seems pretty new. Maybe give it some destruction? Keep working it looks nice :) 
  • badger5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the idea, I think I will include some of the parts toppled over or broken
  • badger5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had some questions for rocks what should the poly count be?I see what I can do for  textures with them. I did 1024 but I will optimize them better. I can get the rocks to a higher polly easily.I can make the grass closer in color to the ground texture
    . Does the gate need to be fixed texture wise?I packed that texture well.Thank you for the crit.
  • badger5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updates to the environment, I am working on a next part that will be a outside of a temple and interior. I plan to have the outside be a similar style to the entryway or use some of same assets. Thank you.
  • badger5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A update to the level
  • KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    (Sidenote - You're using UE4, not UDK. UDK was the free version of UE3. ;)

The biggest thing that stands out to me would be the consistency of the textures scene. I'm seeing a myriad of different textures and colors that don't seem to go together.  Like, that archway is made out of stone, but the actual stones in the area are using different colored textures. Likewise, the posts for the rope bridge just look like tree trunks, versus the wood on the little arched bridge that actually looks like processed wood, versus the wood on the planks of the rope bridge that is, again, completely different. Not saying that you should plaster the same texture on everything. It gives the appearance of just finding a bunch of textures randomly and trying to throw them all together.

The second thing is that you should rebuild your lighting when showing off the scene, so that we actually know what the scene looks like. Once the lighting has been rebuilt consistently, I'm sure that the texture variation I just mentioned will neutralized quite a bit. :smile: (Also, note that you can hide all of the viewport sprites for emitters and such by going into "Game Mode" (pressing G), and you can also deselect whatever is selected by pressing Esc so that you can get cleaner screenshots.

As for building a waterfall with particles, I'm dealing with the same thing. I've been tearing apart sample Particle Effects demo and learning a lot from that. My workflow was that I created a rather generic "flowing water" particle for the bulk of the water, then another texture that like droplets flowing down over the base water particle. (I'm also considering adding a layer that looks like a wave of water crashing down.) I then placed and scaled a few different instances of it to make it look more natural. I then have separate particle systems for the splash of the water crashing into the main water below, a particle mesh emitter for the water ripples, another splash for water bouncing off of surrounding rocks, an emitter for cloud-like mist, and lastly an emitter that just creates some drops of water falling off of the surrounding rocks from the mist condensing.

Also, don't forget foliage variation! Grass won't be evenly covering everything 100%, nor will all of the grass be the same color or type, and for anything that is supposed to be in a natural environment, there will be lots of different plants, flowers, and weeds growing in various locations.
  • badger5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for the help and I will make the changes to improve my art =D
  • badger5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • badger5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a small cave interior for the level and wanted to show that as well  http://puu.sh/ofUq7/8df10d7402.jpg   and http://puu.sh/ofUzf/0dd3e2d0b8.jpg