Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Patch of Heaven

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JensPatteeuw polycounter lvl 5
Hi!

This is a little project I started in which I will try to create a low poly, hand painted Patch of Heaven scene.
For this project I will try to learn and understand 3D Coat. Also I'll be working with 3Ds Max, Zbrush and Photoshop.

It is also the first time I am fully working on low poly meshes and starting with hand painted textures.
All feedback and comments are more then welcome!

To kick this thread of here are some of the first images:

Friendly greetings,
Jens Patteeuw

Replies

• Shiverspine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiverspine polycounter lvl 2
    Hey Jens! I love the sketches! They bring a lot of character and story to some simple black lines!

I think your scene or at least your tree looks a bit too smooth for this early blockout stage? 
    Added to that a lot of the charm should come from the low poly in combo with the handpainted textures!

Anyway im looking forward to the end result :)
  • JensPatteeuw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my Patch of Heaven project.

Started with a very early paint texture of the tree, stone lantern and pedestal.
    The tree and lantern texture were made in 3D Coat, which I am currently learning and really liking.

I am not sure if I'm going to keep the 天 symbol on my lantern. (Spoiler alert: It is Japanese for Heaven)
    I do was thinking about adding a little lit candle in there with some smoke coming out.

PS: Thanks for the comment Shiverspine, I am hoping to get the smoothness out of my model once the painted textures start to kick in heh.

• JensPatteeuw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

Started with adding vegetation to my scene. For now it is only ivy, but more vegetation is on the way!
    Also decided to remove the 天 symbol on my lantern. This way the scene feels more neutral in my opinion.
    Instead I added a burned out candle which adds more character to the lantern, this way I can also add some fun smoke effects.

Feedback/comments are of course more then welcome. All the painted texture up until now are still in a very early stage.
    So you can expect some updates on those as well.

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    put a pointlight into that lantern. Some warm lighting and some blueish moonlight from the other side would give great contrast and interesting lighting atmosphere.

The tree trunk texture looks a bit strange. But I like the leaves and overall shape of the tree and lantern.
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    I love this scene. The exposed section on the tree would be concave and callused around the edge where the bark started to creep over the wound . http://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/styling/deadwood Also the way it is orientated on the branch elbow is possibly wrong.  
  • JensPatteeuw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update on this project.

First of all I want to thank you guys for your comments.
    @Defragger: I am going for a day light scene, because in that way the overall textures will be more visible.
    Also i have also bin thinking about putting a light in the lantern. But I have decided for a while now that I will be adding smoke
    from the candel within the lantern. I think this will be really cool to make and add into my scene.
    @Cube Republic: Thanks for liking the scene heh, really means a lot! Also I have looked into what you said and I was going to try
    to add the concave and callused effect on the texture. This still has to be done. For the orientation on it, I have actually bin working on reference
    for the tree. And in the photo I am referring to it looks like that. But of course it still needs some more love.

I finally learned how to put multiple objects into 3D Coat, this way its a lot easier for matching the textures and colors with each other.
    Also this way I can paint some shadows on the pedestal on the correct places and so on. The only problem I am still having is that the export
    I am working with is an OBJ, because for some reason FBX messes up my positions.. and I've already tried a lot of different pivot point changes and
    reset Xform and so on heh.

But yhea, still really enjoying this project! This isn't a major update compared the previous ones, but I really wanted to share where I am at now.

C&C are welcome.

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Just wanted to point out that you are wasting some polys on some areas that could be used elsewhere. The lantern could use more triangles which could be taken away from the medium size rocks and top part of the tree. Also the groundplane could use some more edges.

• JensPatteeuw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last work in progress update.
    I will post the final renders, sketchfab link,... as soon as possible.

@Defragger Thanks for the comment. You are right about the poly distribution, but the main goal of this project was to learn and practice
    on hand painted textures. Also It's my first time creating a low poly environment, so I learned a lot.

In this last update:
    I added the smoke from the candle, created grass patches and worked on the general textures.
    Also I have worked on the stones, but that update isn't included in this image.

• JensPatteeuw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished this project.
    Had a blast working on it, learned a lot.

Thank you for following the progress and I hope to see you in the next project! :smile:
    model

Renders: