Home Marmoset

Am I doing something wrong with textures?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pixel_Fire polycounter lvl 4
Hey Everyone,

I am pretty new to using marmoset (pretty new to 3D in general), so I only kinda know what I am doing. My problem is that my Substance model looks the way I want it to, but when exporting the maps to be put into Marmoset, the quality is lowered significantly. Perhaps this is just what Marmoset does because it replicates a game engine? I also have an issue when exporting a viewer from Marmoset, everything turns.. weird. Pretty sure it has something to do with reflectivity, but then again, I only kinda know what I am doing. 

Pictures below of Substance>Marmoset>Marmoset Viewer

Any help would be much appreciated :)

The Substance Model

The Marmoset Model

The Marmoset Viewer Model

Maps that I am using

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firstly, the difference between the first Substance image and the Marmoset Toolbag 2 image looks to be differences in lighting more than anything. I would suggest experimenting with different Sky Light presets. To do this, click the Sky object and go to presets, you'll find a library of different lighting environments there. You can click on Sky Light Editor add directional lights. Hold shift and drag in the viewport to rotate the Sky Light.

I would suggest experimenting with adding manually placed dynamic lights as well, you can add a new light by hitting ctrl+l, or going to Scene -> new light. Click on the light object to change light type, currently we support omni (point), spot, and directional lights.  You can adjust the width settings in the light properties, a higher width setting gives you a bigger, more diffused light source with softer shadows. However, omni lights and light width settings are not supported in Marmoset Viewer.

You can balance the lighting in your scene by adjusting the Sky Light brightness, you may want to make the Sky lighting darker if you're using dynamic lights. When using dynamic lights, the ambient sky lighting essentially controls the color and brightness of the shadows.

Differences between Substance and Toolbag are likely exacerbated further by post effect settings. It looks like the screenshot from Substance has some sharpening applied, you can adjust post effects like brightness, contrast, sharpen, etc in the Camera properties.

Now, to your issue with Marmoset Viewer. It looks like you've disabled the Reflection slot, try setting that to Blinn-Phong or GGX and see if that improves the results in Marmoset Viewer.