Home Adobe Substance

Exporting Substance Textures

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pixel_Fire polycounter lvl 4
Hello Everyone,

I want to understand how the channels in substance work. Like why a normal map goes in this sort of channel or why a metallic map goes in that sort of channel. I want to know the difference between a RGB, RGB+A, Grayscale, and all those other channels and why certain maps go where and what maps can go together and what maps should not got together. I want to learn this because I don't want to refer to a video every time I need to export. Hopefully I explained this well enough to be understood.

Is there a source/guide I can refer to to learn this sort of thing? Or perhaps this is not something you can just learn just on the fly because it's too in depth. I just want my Marmoset model to look somewhat as nice as my Substance model.

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Replies

• Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Pixel_fire,

It's not easy to explain all that, actually.

RGB: a full colour map like the base colour. This is being used when you need all three colour channels.
    RGB + A: used when you have an image with an alpha channel (4 channels).
    Grey scale: gre yscale images are the metallic map and roughness map, for instance.

Most presets you'll find in Substance Painter can be swapped out or changed.
    Theoretically you can combine all maps, but you shouldn't in some cases.
    For example: All the 'data maps' (Linear colour space) like the roughness or metallic map should not be mixed with the colour maps like the base colour.
    I also don't use the Alpha channel, because it can be quite expensive in the game engine.

I hope hope that helps a bit.

Best Regards
  • Pixel_Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixel_Fire polycounter lvl 4
    That actually does help me quite a bit. Thank you :)
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Hijacking this post:

Does someone have a way to export your diffuse layers in psd ..? I can't believe this isn't possible yet
  • Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Odow,

you're talking about a PSD-Export in Substance Painter? This isn't possible yet.

Best Regards
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    The idea behind Substance Painter I believe is to get rid of Photoshop entirely for texturing assets.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I wouldn't say that :-)
    But exporting to PSD is not the priority right now. If an interaction with Photoshop comes at some point, it will be more in the form of a live link or quick export/import of a single layer. The PSD export represents a lot of development time and we have to choose our battles.