Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Chained One

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Mordragos polycounter lvl 8

Final Submission
I just wanna say thanks to everyone for this contest It's been a great learning experience both in terms of learning new skills and polishing old ones and also as a way to discover many great artists I did not know about!

I had a different story planned originally but it ended up being too long and I don't have the time to fix him up  :/  so here's shorter one!

Backstory

Her face, as he pulled the chains he thought of her face, and regret, it almost made him regret laying eyes upon her face as she picked roses in his forest clearing, oh how he regretted now, the talks they had, the love they nourished, and most of all, her face as the knights torn her from his embrace, as they beat him and threw him in the cage, he regretted seeing her face as the inquisitors dragged them into different cells and as they realized it could be the last time they would see each other. He thought of her face as he pulled one last time on the chains.

Beauty Shots

Wireframe

the chains in the pedestal ended up having a few extra polys but I hope I can compensate it with the spare tris I have from the beast itself :p

Textures

bonus sketchfab! though I wish I knew how to export my background from substance painter.
model

And here's an artstation post with a few extra shots!
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JbNRZ

---------OLD POST---------------------

Greetings everyone! Hope I'm not to late to the party.

I´ll work on the backstory as I go, for now the idea would be something along the lines of him being a run down noble cursed after trying to trick a demon into restoring his fortune to save his marriage???

Anyway heres my concept:

Replies

• KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    I like how it actually looks Beast like and not a demon or monster.
  • Mordragos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i'ts going to be a hard mix! the idea is to make him look cursed, so he has to look beastly while retaining some humanity!

btw here's todays update

• Mordragos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been polishing up his torso and thinking about the story and decided he'd spent some time in a dungeon so I gave him some lashes
  • Mordragos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decided to dump torso clothing in favor of chains and added some new kinds of scars.

I'm trying to decided what kind of pants I want to give him, ripped shorts are a classic but I'm thinking about giving him some full blown medieval legwear to nail down a time period.

• Pixelgorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    This looks really great!

I think this guy could go without pants and have some fur like you have around his neck covering up his business down there. Design wise I'd see how far you can go with the chain and shackle theme. Maybe leg shackles with more chains connecting.

My 2 cents. :)
  • Mordragos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really great!

I think this guy could go without pants and have some fur like you have around his neck covering up his business down there. Design wise I'd see how far you can go with the chain and shackle theme. Maybe leg shackles with more chains connecting.

My 2 cents. :)
    Yeah I thought about the fur but I was planning on making it with hair planes so I wanted to limit it as much as possible and ALso I wanted ihm to have some semblance of civility so in the end I gave found this thing that looks like what I would expect a guy who cant wear normal pants but can steal a piece of cloth to wear

here are some screenshots of the new hair plane "fur"

• Pixelgorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • llRobinll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    llRobinll polycounter lvl 5
    Nice man, I think it would be cool if his hands were a bit more beastly though. 
    Looking forward to see how the fur turns out 
  • Mordragos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

llRobinll said:
    Nice man, I think it would be cool if his hands were a bit more beastly though. 
    Looking forward to see how the fur turns out 
    Originally the hands were going to be more humanlike for story purpouses (I thought about making him a "cursed painter") but in the end I ended up simplifying the story so yeah,  I should have given him biger claws :/

A quick update, trying to get the textures done fast (and failing thanks to my pc dying on me everytime I try to work on anything above 2k in res) so I can get on with the rigging, the pedestal and maybe polish up the hair!

• Pixelgorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mordragos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mordragos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im trying to get some final renders done in substance painter's Iray but the alpha shader is giving me some weird white border around the alphas =/
  • Mordragos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Final Submission

I had a different story planned originally but it ended up being too long and I don't have the time to fix him up  :/  so here's shorter one!

Backstory

Her face, as he pulled the chains he thought of her face, and regret, it almost made him regret laying eyes upon her face as she picked roses in his forest clearing, oh how he regretted now, the talks they had, the love they nourished, and most of all, her face as the knights torn her from his embrace, as they beat him and threw him in the cage, he regretted seeing her face as the inquisitors dragged them into different cells and as they realized it could be the last time they would see each other. He thought of her face as he pulled one last time on the chains.

Beauty Shots

Wireframe

the chains in the pedestal ended up having a few extra polys but I hope I can compensate it with the spare tris I have from the beast itself :p

Textures

bonus sketchfab! though I wish I knew how to export my background from substance painter.
    model
    And here's an artstation post with a few extra shots!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JbNRZ

Well, I just wanna say thanks to everyone for this great contest It's been a great learning experience both in terms of learning new/ polishing my skills and also as a way to discover many great artists I did not know about!