Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Destiny Fan Art - Bad Juju

IsparticusI
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
Hey Polycount folks. Haven't posted in here for a while. Been working on some Destiny fan art recently. I'm obsessed with the art in this game, and the game in general so I figured i'll take a stab at one of my favorite guns in the game (play and art wise).

Grabbed as many references as I could online, but for this one, they are hard to come by. I took another Assault rifle that I found online in the game for multiple angles so I can get a sense of overall shape besides just side views. 

I did the high poly in Max and Zbrush. Here are a couple wires and regular renders

Brought it into Keyshot and messed around with some materials real quick

Just recently got done making the low and am currently in the process of doing some texture work in Substance Painter. I was having some weird baking issues in SP, I believe just due to my graphics card, but I am going to have to seperately texture the back skeleton, and then combine the textures in photoshop for when i render it out in Marmoset. Here's the bake..

And then, I guess SP doesn't have a wireframe mode right now, so I had to bring in a UV Map and put it on a layer to show the wireframe. I apologize, its kind of hard to see, but hopefully you get the idea. 

I'm currently working on the texture. I will post some more pics along the way. Hope you enjoy! Cheers!

Replies

• Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice! How did you do the grip (the part with the small dots towards the middle)? Was it a brush in zbrush or did you use Max?
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheez - thanks!

Theonewhoknocks - btw, great name. I can't get enough Breaking Bad ;) The dots are just done in Max. Just simple floaters along the grip, with a bend modifier thrown on top.

Still getting used to Substance Painter, literally have 28 days left on the trial, but it looks like there was a wire frame mode in the viewer settings that I didn't see, so here is the actual wire frame for anyone thats interested.

Started gettin a good base of material definition yesterday. 

From here i'm going to fine tweak the material definition, and mask out the rest of some colors on certain objects. Then start working on the details of the scratches/wear and tear, and small amounts of dust and grunge. Overall, weapons in Destiny are very clean, so I want to keep that art style through out my piece too. 
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So finally got around some time to virtually finish this thing. Finished it up in substance painter and brought it into marmoset. Probably going to be throwing it into unreal 4 just to see what it looks like in there soon. But here is the final product. 

• Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I'm personally not a huge fan of the material definition, it all has the same kind of glossiness to it, be it metal(or gun metal), painted, leather straps.. I think by spending some more time on it you could push it a lot further.
    It looks very solid up to this point, don't rush it!
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    so awesome! I have had my eyes on this weapon for a long time, I am glad to see someone actually made it! 
    It is very solid! i love the details you have put into it, i agree with @Cay though your material definition needs to be pushed, everything is that same nice new shiny look, i see you have painted some scratches and scuffs, tie those into your spec, roughness and metal maps and i think you really started to push this piece. 
    Oh are you going to add the really cool green glow when your take it to UE4??

• IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, great feedback thanks. Yea, taking a couple days off and coming back to it, i see that there's a few material tweaks that i can do to really make it stand out. I'm going to go back in to Substance and do those. I'm also going to use this opportunity to go back in and tweak some of the bakes. Not overly fond of the way the straps came out. They look a little wonky at points, and i can definitely make them better. I'll be updating soon. Again, thanks for the extra eyes and feedback!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the model looks spot on very Destiny. I agree the material definition does not look quite right I would spend a bit more time on that because its looking awesome so far and deserves to look the best it can :) Really like the iron site and ammo count display too!

I would look again at the Bungie version yours is very close just needs that extra push.  
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after a couple months of learning substance a little more, I came back to it and decided to give the model and textures another pass. Quite a bit happier this time around. Here are the new screen shots. Hope you like :)
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason, the images didn't come through as large as I wanted them to. Larger images are on my artstation.. 
    www.artstation.com/artist/mikejohnfrank86