Home General Discussion

Deadpool (The Movie)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
I couldn't find a past discussion, for this movie, this movie was fucking epic. If you were hesitant to see this movie, get over it, stop reading this post, and go see it. Unless you hate sex, vulgar jokes, and and gratuitous violence... then this movie may not be for you.

I won't spoil anything, for the intro post, but this movie is everything Deadpool should be. The storyline/villains are a bit bland, but watching Deadpool, was enough entertainment that I didn't care if there even was a villain. I could have just watched him hang around town being himself.

My two favorite moments... the zamboni and the little hand. Those who saw it, know what I mean

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I big hand of applause to Ryan Reynolds and the writers/directors of this film. They delivered a herculean effort on a troubled project. They have actually taken one of the most difficult comics to adapt to cinema and delivered in an extremely satisfying fashion.

Deadpool is not a great movie. But it is one of the most consistently entertaining films I've seen in years. While not every aspect of the film shines, even the more flawed elements dish up heaping helpings of guffaws. It is subversive to its own genre, medium and industry, while still managing to deliver a solid film. I am somewhat reminded of the Lego Movie. Obviously not in the subject matter, but in the manic energy, the subversive tone, and the gleeful fun that suffuses the entire experience.

Definitely worth a watch. I highly recommend this film.
  • Kamul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamul polycounter lvl 4
    Really good movie, and one of the made me laugh the most from start to finish, but the only problem for me was that I was soooo much more hyped to what the movie would deliver (because of the trailers and friends that watched before me reapeating over and over about how awesome it was) that at the end it didn't really pay off totally to me.

...well, that always happens when we have so much expectations for something ( like games too), right ?

But I would tottally recomend to anyone, it's really fun and Ryan Reynolds matches perfectly as Deadpool
  • IceCubeCat101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was a really REALLY good movie. One of the few that was funny all of the way. It was a little over hyped, but it mostly lived up to it. My favorite part was the zamboni. (I could have crawled faster, just saying.)
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Just saw it yesterday. Worth a watch for sure... the end... well... kinda jumps the shark. Doesn't really matter though, nobody's watching it for the brilliant plot :) "A-" for those looking for a good laugh and a lot of action. "F" if you're looking for a cohesive story that stays with you for all eternity.

Spoiler
    I mean, come on - the bad guy SAYS his plan is to turn him into something that can't regenerate... which apparently meant bringing 6 guys with guns and two axes to the top of a construction site... as opposed to... I don't know... missiles? C4? an inferno? ANY TRAP AT ALL?

Hurumph.

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Will be interesting to see what impact this has on other movies being greenlit. This thing made a shitload of money despite being R-Rated, based on a relatively obscure character and having very good odds of being very, very bad.

Best case - it leads to less movies being mashed awkwardly into PG13 level ratings and some more interesting mature and obscure comic movies. Worst case we get a bunch of other crass superhero movies trying to be Deadpool and catastrophically missing the mark.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I do fear that the industry will start pumping out 'shock' movies, and doing them poorly. What they don't get is this movie isn't about the shock value, but instead, about staying true to the source material.

The hype didn't get to me, because I was intentionally avoiding trailers, interviews, and reviews. I'm doing the same with Batman v Superman. I saw enough, in the first trailer, to determine I wanted to see it.

The other fun outcome, from this movie, is seeing the ignorant parents, commenting on taking their kids. I think it was very well published that this movie was pushing the limits of the R rating, and was NOT meant for kids. Parents are so damn stupid/naive these days.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Enjoyed it very much 
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, there's always a danger in over-hyping something. I personally find that I need to take a few hours after watching a movie at least before I start seriously commenting on it. It lets the hype from the experience settle down and I can be a little more objective.

Objectively, Deadpool is a really solid, well-made, well-written, well-acted movie. It's not transcendental. It's not going to blow your socks off, or fundamentally change how you think about the medium. But it is very well made, and very, very entertaining. It is a good movie. Perhaps not a great movie, but a very good one. For anyone with the stomach for a bit more of a hard-R rating, this is an easy recommendation. The chances of you enjoying yourself immensely while watching it are very high.

The entire time I was watching the opening credits, I was stifling my laughter, and settling with giggling manically in my seat. If I had laughed as I wanted to, it would probably have disturbed some of the other moviegoers. I heartily look forward to picking this one up on home video.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    was a lot of fun! Loved all the cracks at Fox and X-Men :)
    /brace for DC's answer to Deadpool with Lobo in 2017/2018

• TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Will be interesting to see what impact this has on other movies being greenlit. This thing made a shitload of money despite being R-Rated, based on a relatively obscure character and having very good odds of being very, very bad.

Best case - it leads to less movies being mashed awkwardly into PG13 level ratings and some more interesting mature and obscure comic movies. Worst case we get a bunch of other crass superhero movies trying to be Deadpool and catastrophically missing the mark.
    Interesting enough, it appears that the new Wolverine movie will be rated R now. I wonder how much Deadpool had to do with that. 
  • Kn5743
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kn5743 polycounter lvl 8

Interesting enough, it appears that the new Wolverine movie will be rated R now. I wonder how much Deadpool had to do with that. 
    That's great news.  The fight scenes in the previous Wolverine movies always felt weak because of the PG-13 restrictions.  I'm hoping we get something like the fight scenes from the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game in the new movie.  

http://www.youtube.com/embed/7EocXtLAAAc
  • Sastrei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sastrei polycounter lvl 11
    Who made the original test footage? I was really impressed that when it came time for the studio to make the movie proper, not only did they manage to use quite a bit of the test reel (so to speak, obviously much higher fidelity assets, etc) but that they managed to hang about 2/3 of the movie on that sequence.

I think it was one of Blur's artists, right (though I suppose it could a whole mob of people)? That person + Ryan Reynolds are basically who it seems people should thank for getting Deadpool made. And the artist deserves a bigger spot in the limelight, haha!
  • Kn5743
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kn5743 polycounter lvl 8
    Sastrei said:
    Who made the original test footage? I was really impressed that when it came time for the studio to make the movie proper, not only did they manage to use quite a bit of the test reel (so to speak, obviously much higher fidelity assets, etc) but that they managed to hang about 2/3 of the movie on that sequence.

I think it was one of Blur's artists, right (though I suppose it could a whole mob of people)? That person + Ryan Reynolds are basically who it seems people should thank for getting Deadpool made. And the artist deserves a bigger spot in the limelight, haha!
    The director of the movie is one of the founders of Blur.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Yup, Directed by a Blur guy, who has never directed a feature film before. 

Pretty amazing movie. The humour was spot on. Loved even just the opening credits, where they filled in names with a hilarious description of that person instead. So well done.
  • CGXel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGXel polycounter lvl 3
    I just saw it today, it was really entertaining, although I was expecting an inner voice like in the game, anyways, really good film!

• Mary_Marinez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As one critic very rightly put it: 'Superhero movies have long needed a character as twisted as Deadpool.'