Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rigged Low Poly Bird Improvement

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mwallace polycounter lvl 4
I'd like to share a personal project I started recently.

I haven't done much animation before, especially skin deformations, so I figured I would use this thread to explain my thought process, ask questions, and hopefully get feedback. 

I wanted to model a bird, with enough geometry to allow for extreme deformations ( folding wings ), but simple enough to be used in a mobile game.

Okay so my biggest question was how to approach the feathers?

Model and rig each feather individually? This would allow for greater control during animation, but the rigging process is very tedious, and requires a lot of fine tuning.

This method seemed a little too complicated for my needs, so I decided to model the whole wing as one object and use controls only on the most critical joints of the wing.

There is a drawback though I am really concerned about with this method: UV stretching.

WIP:

REFS:

To be continued...

Replies

• mwallace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again. I've put a little more work into the Shrike, so here's a quick update:

I think I've finally settled on a decent wing setup, using this 3dsMax tutorial for reference. Here's what it looks like:

NOTE: Since the wings are symmetrical, I wanted to animate both wings simultaneously by mirroring one side. This would have been pretty straight-forward had I used a CAT / Biped skeleton, but since I created my own rig, I had to either mirror the transformations manually or write a tool to do it. I was already comfortable with Max Creation Graph, so I decided to make a custom animation controller. On the left side, the 2 wing controls, and 9 feather bones are set to mirror the corresponding elements on the right. 

I've also made some adjustments to the folded-wing pose, unwrapped the model, and applied a checker texture to it so I could see just how much stretching there is. Here are the UVs.

• mwallace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a few more changes to the model and UVs, and I think its about time to start painting. Comments and criticism are most welcome.
  • mwallace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mwallace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a chance to play around with this project for a bit today.

model
  • ThatOtherGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatOtherGuy polycounter lvl 4
    Okay that is just simply adorable.

Like the clean rig and like the simple but pleasing aesthetics of the design. 

In regards to your animation the flying animation feels really stiff when it's wings are at it's fullest extent. Before they turn down they seem to "pop" and jerk down into the second half of the animation. In other words some of it feels a bit jerky.
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    le0tard polycounter lvl 9
    I like the model! There are still some awkward stops in the animation, but this looks really good so far.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome! I've been thinking about trying wings sometime too :) Great stuff.
  • mwallace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I really appreciate you guys for taking the time to give me a little feedback! Thank you all. I've made a few adjustments to the animation.

@ThatOtherGuy - What you said about the jerky transitions helped a lot, and I think(?) I've fixed most of the popping now.
    Also, I totally agree with what you said about the wings feeling "stiff" - still working on this..  I'll probably need an extra joint near the wing tip..