Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Edwardian Interior

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
Most recent update:

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in my last semester of college trying to push through to the end. I have seen a few really awesome "cutout" environments, showcasing a corner of an environment which I've been very interested in trying. I was inspired by this mini environment by Scott Homer I saw:

I'm going to be going for a more classic style house, sorta like in the picture below.

These are some of the assets I've been working on for it:

I also want to add a few more props like these: 

I'm going to be starting to work on the lighting/setup tomorrow and would love some feedback on what I've got so far, or if you have references that you'd like to share that relate that would be great too! Thanks :) 

Replies

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a bit of an update. I've been working on finishing the sculpt of the chair (which I'll show later) and I textured the piano. I'd love some critique on it. Is it worn enough? Thanks!

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I quickly fixed the wood grain based on some feedback I just got. Thoughts?
  • KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good! I can't really say if it's worn enough or not, though, since it's not in a scene yet. In and of itself, it looks great - although, nowhere near as ornate as the rest of your references?

Two things that stand out to me:
    The wood underneath of the keyboard looks too repeated, like a printed piece of laminate material rather than a natural piece of wood.

The wood grain on the beveled panels above the keyboard - wood is always, always, cut along the grain. Not against/across. If that were carved from one giant piece of wood, the grain pattern you have would be fine - except on the panel around the beveled panels, it looks like the grain is going vertical? Likewise on the bottom panel edges, indicating this would be made out of multiple pieces of wood.

For example:

In the first example, the grain flows across the inner most bevel, as a solid piece that was carved out. The trims, however, are cut along the grain and then tacked on. Most wooden furniture is made up of many smaller pieces, like the second example. (I guess because bigger pieces of wood are harder to find, and more expensive, since large trees can take hundreds of years to reach the size that would be needed, thus very impractical - not to mention the logistics of moving/transporting/storing/etc)

Now days, even if something IS carved out of one giant piece of wood, we're so subconsciously used to seeing wood cut up and rotated that one solid overlaying grain pattern just looks inherently wrong.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! That was super helpful. Does this look better do you think? I think I addressed the problems that you were talking about and it looks more natural to me now.

As for how ornate it is, this is one of the fancier pianos I was able to find. They don't seem to make them with the same level of carved in detail that the rest of the furniture has. I'm hoping it will still fit in the piece. I'm going to be going for something SLIGHTLY less fancy than that exact interior reference.

I'm still back and forth on what material to make the chair frame. I'm between a wood to match this, or a gold painted wood of sorts, closer to what is in the pictures. Any thoughts on that?

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on piano textures. I'm going to move back to the chair this week and get that done too hopefully. I'd love some feedback on where it's at now. Thanks :)

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along great. One thing I noticed with the cushioned chair is the fabric buttons don't seem to be affecting the fabric around them. Some reference for example. https://www.google.com/search?q=upholstery+button&tbm=isch
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good! It might benefit the chair to go back over some of the edges of the wood. It's looking a little doughy, but adding in some sharp contrast to the smooth/polished wood would help sell the construction more. Keep it up!
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the feedback!
    So for the cushion of the chair, I was originally going off of a chair concept where the buttons were purely aesthetic on the cushion but I keep getting people making the comment about the buttons not looking right so I'm definitely going to switch them over to be more utilitarian.
    I'll also be going over the edges of the high poly of the chair tomorrow before I start in on the low poly so I'll try and focus on the edges a lot then.

I think I want to go for something like this as far as the materials go:

I'd love some feedback on peoples opinion on the materials though. And if anyone has any other reference they think would be worth sharing that'd be greatly appreciated too. :)
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thoughts on the cushion? And on the slight update to the frame sculpt?

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The buttons and tucking look great now, good job!

Seat cushion seems too small. It should come out further (flush with armrest) but maybe could be less tall. Certainly feels too tall in the back. Compare with your reference.

The wood curlicue carvings seem rushed, the sculpting is not as precise as it probably should be. Texturing can hide a lot of this, but if you want to show the highpoly untextured it won't look all that great. Take a look at @scotthomer 's sculpts for an example of the crispness/precision I'm talking about.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/122749/ce3-scotthomers-destruction-dioramas

Also check out @sarah190016 's models
    http://polycount.com/discussion/165385/ue4-victorian-room-scene-and-props
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit more of a chair update. What do you all think of the added sculpting? I still have a little more work I want to do with it and cleaning up around some edges, but I think it's looking better.
    Thank you for the references Eric, those were very helpful. I forgot to adjust the seat cushion but I will do that for the next update.

• Drgreenethumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drgreenethumb polycounter lvl 9
    I really like how the cushions came out. I feel like the only thing really is the frame. I feel like your need sort of crisper edges. Its kind of blooby and i would expect crisper curves for something made of wood. But i really love the design of the frame.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback DRGREENETHUMB! I tried to go back into the sculpt and harden up some of the edges and I think it helped a lot.
    So I made the low poly for the chair and I started texturing.  I think I like where the materials for the frame are right now, I didn't want to do just gold and I think what I have is helping define the forms of the sculpt more as well, by giving more clear separation. I haven't done any work on the cushion parts yet, they just have the bakes on them currently. That'll be tomorrow probably. I'd love to get some feedback on where it's at now though and hear some more opinions! Thanks :)

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I toned down the gold a bit and now I really think the frame's material is starting to pop out a lot more. I also just added some cloth noise to the normals to start to get that underway.
    What do you think of the chair textures so far? Do you think it's working? Should I keep the chair cushions close to this color or do something more drastic?

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also trying out a piano bench. Thoughts? It's using the same material as the piano is currently.

• KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    That update to the wood grain looks great!

Regarding the chair - was the chair intended to go at the piano, or are they separate props that just happen to be under development at the same time? The chair is looking awesome, but I think the bench definitely looks more natural at the piano. Without having an establishing environment, it's hard to compare the two, as each work perfectly independently.

That being said, however, the piano/bench combo seem woefully boring in comparison to the design of the chair. Perhaps the piano could use some more gold trimmings? Or you could even put a gold band around the top of the bench and add a tufted white leather cushion to match the chair! Or not - I feel that classical/ornate styling can become overbearing rather quickly, so the simple look of the piano/bench may be a nice grounding element once a scene with decor is in place. There are so many options at this point!

I really like the white color of the chair in combination with the gold as it is, but I would try out a few different colors, just because you never know what you will like the most until you see it.  :)
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KRISLW Thanks for the feedback! So the intent is that the chair and piano are both meant to be in the same room but not that the chair is meant to be the bench for the piano. They're both individual parts of the room. I'll definitely try around with multiple colors for the chair cushion especially. And see if there are any places that gold could naturally go onto the piano/piano bench. That's a great idea :) I would've already started blocking out the rest of the scene/lighting it already but I really wanted to get these two pieces done and in my portfolio for GDC next week at least by themselves to give it a bit more variety but after GDC I'll definitely be putting the scene together and setting up some lighting to really get a feel for the space and I think that'll inform some of my texturing choices as well.

@RICHAPOCALYPSE By second piece, which do you mean? My chair? Either way, thank you! :D Dishonored is a great game haha
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly it isn't mine :( but hopefully by the time I finish this project I'll have something as good as that!
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again! I'm working on trying to finish this chair up this weekend. I'm planning on adding a few more things like some edge wear and such. I'd love some feedback on what you think about the cushion material and how it's working with the chair's frame right now! And anything else you'd like to comment on.

I'm super pumped for GDC, I'll be headed out to Cali Tuesday morning, I hope to see people there! I'll definitely be at the Polycount party :)

• KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    The red really pops! Objectively, it looks wonderful - although that shade of red far exceeds the visual intensity of everything else, I comparatively struggle to even notice the pretty gold frame. Subjectively, I prefer the white, but to each their own :smiley:  The red and gold is certainly closer to the references you posted.

Two things I'm noticing: the red appears to have a bit of a texture to it, but it's not particularly distinguishable as to what it's suppose to be. I want to think it's leather, but it almost reads as something more along the lines of plaster or stucco when I really look at it. Did the white chair have that texture, too? Second, at the edge of the bottom right arm (right arm of the chair, left arm looking at it in the picture) - where it meets with the red fabric under the cushion - there is a weird crease/shadow/artifact happening. (It's probably happening on both sides?) I only see it on the red chair, though... it looks fine on the white version?
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KrisLW Thanks! The white chair didn't have any design or texture on it, no. I added that when I added the red. I had originally had the red very toned down but it was looking quite odd so I made it much more saturated. I can always see what it looks like, both red and white, once I get it into a scene with lighting after GDC. The texture is supposed to be velvet. Also, I'll definitely look at the crease, I think that is happening in the AO. 

I'm also going to make the gold material slightly more orange and maybe make the red slightly cooler, I think that will help. Thanks for the feedback :) 
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, so I spent a couple hours starting to put these pieces into a scene together. I put in a few lights to start and still have a lot of work to do but I figured I'd at least put up what I've worked on to see if anyone has any feedback on how it's looking, composition, ideas for things to add? References would be great if you have something in mind. :)

Here's a screenshot of what I have, the wall colors aren't final at all, it's just a base color to lighten up the room to get a better sense for lighting, and also the curtains are currently just planes to start working on the base material for them to see how it looks with lighting. Also, the second image is of a "collage" I did on top, of a few of the things I'm thinking of adding. Oh and I want to add a rug too, I just didn't put that in the image.

Thank you in advance for any tips or critique you have!

• Paradoxidia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paradoxidia triangle
    Hey man!

Even with props added in over top, I think you're still having some composition problems. The eye never travels to the far corners of the pieces, and the left especially is a dead zone. I think Josh gave you better lighting crit than I ever could. I think a nice rug would really help, and maybe some wall lamps? 
    kinda like these?
    The space doesn't feel lived-in yet, either, and I would check out some references of victorian music rooms to get some inspiration on next steps. Here are a few that might help you out, hope they're useful!

Right now your individual pieces are looking fantastic, they're just not being shown off properly in your scene yet. Keep pushing, though, and you'll get there! You have some awesome work, and I know you can make it really shine!
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Emma! I've been trying to address a lot of the problems I was having with the composition now and I think it's on its way.

Here's a bit of an update. Mostly was working on the wall textures for this one, and I started modeling a side table for next to the chair. I'm planning on adding some lights and a picture above the piano where the BSP is and the curtains are going to get completely redone. Oh and the pot for the plant is going to get worked on soon too.

I'd love feedback on what I've done with the wall and how it's looking overall now. I also am curious if anyone has suggestions on how to fill the space on the left of the piano? It's feeling empty right now to me but I'm not sure what to do with it. Also, what do you all think of a circular rug instead of a rectangular one? Someone suggested it but I'm not sure if it makes sense in this space or not. Thanks in advance for any critique/advice you may have :)

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again. So I made a new "level" in UE4 and tried some new lighting and I'd like to know if you think it's better or not? Thanks in advance :)

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new shot makes it more obvious that the piano bench is not being lit by the window correctly. The bench has a hard shadow, but it should be in shadow because the sunlight is masked by the drapery. 

For a more realistic light, it should cast a very soft shadow because it would be lit indirect by the window, which would act like an area light. Also it would get some upwards bounce light from the sun patch on the floor.

This is coming along great!
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Eric! Always appreciated :) I think I fixed the issue that you brought up? What do you think now?

Also, I started sculpting a picture frame, thoughts? Not sure what picture to put in it yet...

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better. The SSAO is too strong though, it's creating black outlines around the curtains and the gold chair.

Paint a nice landscape to put in the picture frame. Take a look at the Hudson River School of painters, or a Winslow Homer -esque seascape.

Better yet, think about who owns this room, and theme it all based on their history. The best environment art tells a story about the inhabitants.
  • KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    I agree with the SSAO being up too high - there are also shadows from the bench appearing on the piano that almost makes it look like someone went drop-shadow happy in Photoshop. :/

In regards to the lighting, I personally would say that you need to be somewhere in the middle of your last two screenshots. The window acts as a directional light source, so some directional shadows are needed rather than just the SSAO by itself. However, keeping in mind that the light isn't directly shining on the furniture, the shadows aren't going to be as crisp or strong as you originally had them. There is an option on light sources for "use area shadows for stationary shadows" that softens the shadows as they distance from the light, which may be something to play with?

I think the screenshot from the 27th has a nice shadow-to-floor ratio as far as contrast, aside from the floor/rug being nearly white. (If I'm making any sense! )

It's nice to see the entire scene starting to fall into place! The main thing with the walls that stands out to me is that the two lower inset rectangles are obviously repeating. Also, the color of the crown molding doesn't seem to match anything. Not to say that someone is going to match their molding to their piano in real life, but you have a lot of different shadows of brown going on.

The picture frame is looking good! I think it will be a perfect match to the style of the chair, but yeah, you just have to decide what kind of painting to put in it! I actually think it would be a good fit for a mirror, but the Hudson River School style is also stereotypically perfect. :)
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm still working on the low poly for the picture frame but I did a bit of lighting work I'd like to get some feedback on. I tried to take into account what you both said. I definitely think it helped.
    Also I really like the Hudson River School paintings,I'll probably go with something like that. :)

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you all like the picture frame? Also I made the scene a little bit darker overall, does that help? Or make it worse?
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put a pot in for my plant. Do you like it? Does the texture on it fit in the scene? I think so but I'd love some other opinions. :)

• KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    The shadows definitely look better - but I feel they are reversed. I would think that the window frame shadow on the floor should be sharp, since it's the only one being cast by direct light, and all of the furniture shadows should be soft, since they are indirect. I know nothing about interior lighting for a scene light this, though. I don't have the slightest clue how to change that :/ 

Also, back to the chair - the texture is looking like there are some stains on the seat, or that the seat is wet.

I like the slightly darker scene - it's just subtle enough that I really have to look for the difference, but it makes it feel more authentic like the room is only being lit by the one window so there are no "mystery lights" that we can't see.

I do like the plant pot texture! I'm glad that you went with a blueish color, it adds a nice "something different" to the scene!
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I decided to change the light angle based on some feedback from one of my teachers. Do you think this is a strong lighting composition? I got the suggestion to add another light source in here too so I think I'm going to do that somewhere as well. I also added in the sconces (they still need the candles though) but I think they came out alright. I'd like to know what you all think of them :)

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the side table and started to mess with the curtains a bit more. Also continuously working with Post Processing and lighting. I want to add a mimosa glass or something similar to that on the side table and maybe a book too to start telling a bit more of a story.  I want to readdress the rug a bit too and add a bit more detailing to the wall sections.

Would love some C&C :) Do you all like the new lighting and side table? 

• KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    I like the update to the light direction! It's more interesting when light falls across objects rather than just pooling on the middle of the floor.

With the table, it's nice in and of itself - and it matches the chair really well - but, between the two, there is a lot going on compared to the plain piano and bench. My eyes start at the left sconce and instantly fall down/right and lock on the end table. It seems kind of unbalanced? Also, what's the camera angle? The perspective in the corner with the table seems kind of strange...?

I like the rug - I think it's subtle enough to not distract, but it fills in some otherwise empty space. Although since you've mentioned it, now I am wondering what it would look like if you maybe brought in some of the blue from the flowerpot and added it to the rug? I dunno, just kind of thinking out loud.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along great!

I think it would help a lot to add more details in the scene. Things are looking a bit empty. Reference is key.
    https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&q=victorian+piano+parlor

Look at photos of real spaces. Things are stored on top of the piano, photos, lamps, vases, etc. The side table would also have things on it, and also on the shelf below. How about some sheet music on the piano?

Chair could use a throw pillow or two.

The drapes are not hung properly, looks like the pole is just interpenetrated. Drapes have stitched holes along the top, or strips of fabric making loops around the pole. 

Another reference.
    http://c8.alamy.com/comp/EAN14E/willis-and-co-montreal-upright-1905-piano-in-a-parlor-room-of-an-old-EAN14E.jpg

I would spend a little time making the room look more lived-in. That means more things added. Candelabras, photos in table-top frames, etc.

Think about the little things someone would have left behind, as if they just walked out of the room. Cigarette in one of those long holders, glass with sherry in it and lipstick smudges, a pair of white gloves a lady just took off her hands.

Just a few ideas. Beware about using museum rooms as reference though, they look more artificially arranged and less lived-in.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's a lot of great feedback! Thank you both :) I've been working this morning to add things like the candle sticks, the wine glass and cheese plate, and some detail onto the lower parts of the walls. Do you think these changes work?
    I hadn't really thought about adding anything on top of the piano but now that you mention it I may add some frames and other bits on top I think that'll help bring the balance back towards the center like you mentioned Kris. Thank you for the references :)
    By the camera angle Kris, do you mean the depth of field? I'm going to readdress the curtains first, and then add some more humanizing bits and add some more blues into the scene.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Kris is saying there is a lot of perspective distortion on the table.

This image might help explain things, it shows how circles are distorted with linear perspective (which CG cameras usually use). More here http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Concept_Fundamentals#Perspective

If you reduce the FOV and move the camera further back, this will reduce the distortion.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the FOV a bit and I think it's looking better, much less distortion. :) As for things to put on top of the piano I'm also going to put a clock and more pictures and I started a metronome.

• billakosama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting looks a little weird to me. I know that objects that are not directly lit dont cast hard shadows but I think they should still cast some more shadow than this. For example I would bet that the wall behind the piano would be a little darker (compare the wall to the back side of the piano which is actually dark). And the table seems to be directly hit by sunlight but I see no shadow on the floor or my eyes are playing tricks on me...
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Billakosama for pointing that out, I hadn't even noticed it. I think I fixed the issue with the shadows. When I bake on higher quality they should look much nicer. I also added some more contrast with PP.
    Is the addition of the pictures, clock and metronome on the top helping it feel more lived in/humanized? Should I add more?
    Obviously the pictures are going to change, that's just the material that got automatically applied so I left it for now haha I also added another plant on the left. I definitely need to work on the curtains next, and then mess with post processing a bit more so I'm not getting such harsh darks like on the left side of the piano, underneath the bench and on the trim on the floor by the window. 
    Done for the day but I'll be working on it again tomorrow so I'd ove some more feedback it's been very helpful :) 
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been working for a bit today. I've got the pictures in, the curtains, and a glass of white wine now ;) I'd love some feedback on the piece as a whole. I want to call it done soon but I know there is always room to help improve it. Thanks! :)

• angeloperson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The curtains look much better! Did you switch the material from subsurface to default lit? The addition on the top works well. I'd say that it seems like the gold pattern on the curtains seems a bit tiled, maybe something a bit more subtle?

Additionally, the new additions on the sides seem a bit strange, it looks flat and cut on the edge. If it's folded over itself, like I'm seeing in a lot of references, it might help to have some sort of border along the bottom so we can clearly see where it is folding. Something similar to this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e0/a2/fd/e0a2fd9b852350ea28551093b2f5c7da.jpg

I love the additions to the top of the piano, it definitely makes it a more believable space. Still not too sure how I feel about the white space in the pictures, especially the one on the right. The left one doesn't bother me.

The cheese plate looks great! The heavier shadows look much better, too, although might be a tad heavy behind the right side of the main curtain. This scene's coming along really nicely! 
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I switched it to default lit and it seems to be doing a bit better. The trim could help a lot, I'll have to work with it a bit. I tried making the picture larger and it just looked a bit odd to me.