Home Unreal Engine

Ideal Texel Density for UE4

arybak89
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
arybak89 polycounter lvl 3

I am currently working on a project and had a question about texel density. I'm using a MEL script for Maya (link here) and it asks for both Texel Density and Texture Resolution. While I'm assuming the Texture Density is the size of whatever texture I made (in this case 2048), but am not sure what to put for Texel Density. I've tried playing around with numbers but am not coming up with anything good. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction and possible even explain texel density a bit more. I've done some research online, but am always eager to learn more. I'm not really sure what unit of measurement texel density is measured in or how that should ideally relate to the texture resolution. 

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Texel density is basically a way of ensuring a consistent texture res across all assets. Once you set a baseline for yourself , i.e: 1024x1024 =2m2 you can go from there. So if you create a plane 2m2 and apply a brick wall texture  you can size the bricks to a base human model and derive the scale. Then use this as the starting point to base all your Texel density off. I don't know how the script derives the Texel density numerically but if you set up the example scene I described above you can test it out.