Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

sltrOlsson learning Substance [Sketch book]

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
I thought that I'd put up a thread where I can show of my journey of learning and mastering Substance Designer. Seeing the community adapting it have been very inspirational and so I felt it was time for me to pick it up as well! I got super excited watching tutorials from @Bugo and @Rogelio , realizing how flexible and fluent it could be, and realizing how many of my Photoshop and Zbrush workflows I could bring over!

So after a boring ground tile (from the first Weekly Substance Challenge), a rock attempt that disappeared with Substance crashing on me and some random fucking around, I have my first substance that I feel I have some sort of control over! I sat out to reverse engineer Brad's amazing red cliff substance to better understand what's going on there! So this first texture is basically a total rip off! All credit goes to @bradhb3d ! Even though it's not even close to the original, I'm happy how much the process gave me.

Right now I'm trying to stay away from staying for to long on the same material to get some momentum and to let my self get inspired to new solutions. 

but please! Give me feedback! All of it! 

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Incredible first try man, I'd say you should try getting more variation or more mask variation so you can play with the albedo, roughness, etc. Still, really ncie to see your stuff here.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks @bugo! Other then adding moss/lichen and so on, I'd like to extract more shape based masks. I can definitely to more with generic cloud stuff too! 

I decided to move on from the rock and do some dirt textures, and I thought it would be great to start off with a nice pebble generator. Used the radial splatter to create the inner shape and then subtract the outer shape with an other radial. Idea taken from @rogelio pebble tutorial.. I would have liked it to be more solid random settings in there and I feel like I can do a bunch of good stuff with FX-maps, but that is still a bit daunting. Super inspiring to watch your tutorial though @bugo ! Didn't seem to hard!