Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ryan Giles: 3d Art WIP Blog

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
RyanGiles94 polycounter lvl 2
As it says in the tittle, this will be a forum blog that I update on every Saturday and Wednesday. I will show the Work in progress renders and screen shots of my own personal projects, as well as projects that I am working on for University and if contract permits my freelancing work.

A little about me, I am a full time student, studying "Advanced Diploma of Screen & Media: 3D Animation & VFX for Film" at Academy of Interactive Entertainment which is an online course based in Australia. I an currently using Modo and Zbrush for all of my sculpting, modeling and rendering needs. I am also using, Substance Designer and Substance Painter for Texturing, although it is a bit unconventional, I want to continue using the substance pack to produce textures for my projects, as I love the workflow.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/freedom.gear.studio/

I am currently working on two projects, but this is due to change in the future, and this post will be updated with current screenshots and projects that I a working on when need arises.

Guardian of The Temple: (Personal)
Updated: 16 March 2016

Dragonfly and Robot : (Personal)
Updated: 26 March 2016

Past Projects:
I will only post the most recent and finished videos/renders within this Section

Dungeon Escape (AIE):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9nVzU7DYxg

The Psychotic Worm (Personal):

Thank you! Creative comments are welcome. I will happy take on board any advice and input someone has :)

Replies

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the delay, but due to recent computer malfunctions, not much progress has been made within past days, but i have had time to sculpt out a small candle for the pirate ship scene:

Original WIP:

Pirate Cabin (Personal):

Tiny Robot (Personal):

hopefully I will have more progress on Saturday :)
  • RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP Saturday: All of the UV's are finally complete for the pirate scene, so i will be able to start texturing any day now. I've been playing around with some of the lighting for the scene as well. I like the general concept of the lighting, but I will need to play around with it a lot more before i am happy.
    Before the weekend is over, hopefully I'll have some texturing done as well as the UV's completed for the Small robot.

Pirate Cabin (Personal):
  • RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started texturing this week, it is turning out to be difficult. I am trying to texture within Substance Painter, but I can't seem to replicate the textures within Modo. I am using Modo so I am unable to use the substance plug in for modo.

Pirate Cabin (Personal):

Tiny Robot (Personal):

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshot Saturday: A little work in progress render from my Pirate Cabin Scene. I'm currently working on the textures and lighting. Trying to replicate realistic textures from Substance Painter is harder than I thought. I am thinking of adding some god rays with post effects.

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP Wednesday: WIth university starting back up this week, I did not get a chance to publish a post yesterday.
    Here is a screenshot of some of the textures that I am currently working on within substance Painter. I'm still having trouble replicating them within Modo though, but i'll get there :)

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surprise!
    last weekend I decided to create a secret project, so that I will be able to learn Substance Painter
    Scuplted: zbrush
    Retopo/UV/Render: Modo
    Green Fog: Photoshop
    Textures: Substance Painter

I took inspiration from the digital tutors tutorial "Introduction to Substance painter' and  "Worms" The video game. Overall this project took one week.

Time to finish my other projects now!

CC welcome :)
  • RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robot and dragonfly (personal):
    Wip Wednesday: A little progress shot of my dragonfly for my robot and the dragonfly project. The sceenshots are taken within Substance Painter, I still have replicate them within Modo. I am in the progress of rigging the character before I start work on the environment.
  • RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robt and the Dragonfly (personal):
    For the past few days, I've been working sculpting the environment as well as texturing the environment and putting final touches on the dragonfly.
    The dragonfly is now fully rigged, as soon as I finish texturing the environment and the robot, I'll start animating :) 

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP Wednesday: This week, I decided that I would do something a little different and sculpt out my first Dragon :) It is still very much a work in progress and I am still learning about anatomy in general, the blocking out stage is progressing at a steady pace. After I finish the general shape of the character, i'll import it into Modo for re-topology before I start adding details like wrinkles and scales :)
    Guardian of The Temple: (Personal)

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshot Saturday:
    Project Name: Guardian of the Temple
    so it may look like that I haven't made much project in the past couple of days, but in reality I have, I've been working on the teeth, mouth and claws of the character this week. I still have to import it into modo and retopo before I start detailing.

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP Wednesday!
    It's been a busy week these past few days :) I've finally finished sculpting the base for the Guardian of the Temple project as well as finished the texturing for the Small Robot for the Dragonfly and Robot Project :)
    Now it is time to start animating the Dragonfly and The robot, as well as starting to texture the Dragon for the  Guardian of the Temple project! All other Alpha/skin detailing will be done while texturing :) I'm so excited!
    PS. If you can't see the detail on the dragon :) Please zoom in ^_^ thank you

Guardian of the Temple: (Personal)

Dragonfly and The Robot: (Personal)

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello There!
    So this week, I am trying something new :)
    I decided that I would come create 12 different colour schemes for my "Guardian of the Temple" Project. The colour schemes were creating by altering the hue and saturation within the first Colour Scheme which is called, "Original Colour".
    The rig within photoshop allows me to alter every part of the dragon, for example, I can turn the mouth brown, while turning the body and belly blue.
    NOW here is where you come in, I am looking for the top 3 favorite colour scheme, and from there I will further refine the colour scheme, by adding colour variation, patterns, ruins, etc within Substance Painter.
    Looking forward to seeing the results! if you have any suggested colour scheme ideas, please speak up :)

Thank you!

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easter Holidays :) A time for family, and Chocolate! I should of made time to create a small Easter project :) Oh well, next year :) but this time for Screenshot Saturday, I decided to post my progress on my Robot's textures. I am quite pleased with the overall look, maybe it needs a little more work, but I am dieing to start the retopo of my dragon as well starting to animate the characters!

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshot Saturday: something a little different this week :) With the start of the Term 2 for University in 2 weeks, I've been doing some preparation work for the up coming compositing assignment. I don't normally create silhouettes for my characters, but this has been a lot of fun :) So I decided to post a bit of Behind the Scenes Concepting, they still need a lot of work, but i am liking a couple of the designs thus far.

• 8th_Scepter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8th_Scepter polycounter lvl 6
    For the dragon I like the original low sat and the dark brown/black style.
  • RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the dragon I like the original low sat and the dark brown/black style.
    Thank you for the reply :)
    I have to admit, those are my favorites as well, so far they are the most popular :)
    Still going with the retopo for the dragon, but I should be able to start uving Within the next week or so.
  • RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshot Saturday!
    More Behind the scene screen shots of the Composite Project :) Enjoy!
    I was thinking about using Piano Tiles 2 as the game within the phone, but I am still going through my ideas list :) I'm pretty happy with my current idea though :) Just need to find someone who can do an epic voice over ;)

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for another Screen Shot Saturday! I've been working hard on the DJ robot this past week. First developing a block out for the character. In totally, I must of created 50 or more variations of different robot designs all together. This is my favorite by far, it looks completely different from the original silhouette but I made the right choice. I am going for more of a toy like quality for the overall design. I still have a long way to go for detailing this character, but I should be finished modeling him by Wednesday if all goes to plan :)

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP Wednesday!
    First time posting a WIP Wednesday for a couple of weeks :)
    This week, I just wanted to show the size comparison for the character against the iphone as well as some Colour concepting that I have been working on before I start to UV the character. I've also been trying my hand at some 3d tracking, but tracking the footage for the animation is difficult ^_^ so time to do some more research about 3d tracking and compositing!

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a month, we are back! So many things have been happening, and before I knew it, a month passed :(
    BUT good news :) This week I am bringing you a test preview of an upcoming short animation that I am working on for University. Still needs a lot of work, including animation and rendering. Trying to figure out why the character is jittering and shaking but it is looking a lot better now than a few days ago :)
    The character and rig is a custom design. I am animating rigging and modeling in Modo before exporting the animation into Maya for texturing and rendering.
    With any hope, I'll be bringing you an update sometime soon!
  • RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little update on the little robot :)
    The video that I uploaded to facebook was majorly compressed, and ended up looking horrible, so with this update, I decided just to link it from youtube :)
    With this update, I've added some secondary animation, as well as a more complex walk cycle which reduced the jitter in his walk by about 99.99%, I am hoping that by the end of the project, I can incorporate the jitter as part of the walk cycle.
    If you can't eliminate it, embrace it!

I still have to adjust the timing of the animations, but I am loving the overall look.
    The robot has been rigged, modeled and animated within Modo. The final result will be rendered using Maya and Renderman and composited with Nuke.

CC very welcome :)

• RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally making some progress after much frustration with Maya.
    Next stage is to finish animating the blue lights on the character and matching the grain/noise for the video. Hopefully ill be done tonight

Nuke: Composite
    Maya: RenderMan Render
    Modo: Model, UV, Rig, Animation

P.S. Who's ever heard of Maya crashing..... I've never heard of anything so ridicules in my life.
  • RyanGiles94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The little Robot Wall Bounce Animation is finally complete!
    10 points if anyone recognizes any sound from the video :)

After effects: Sounds
    Nuke: Composite
    Maya: Texture, Render
    Modo: Model, UV, Rig, Animate

CC Welcome :)