Home Technical Talk

NonPlanar in Max

CreativeSheep
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
Can a Max user take the following OBJ file and using all non-planar tools to which you have installed on your machine make the OBJ file completely non-planar. I want to understand how Max handles such a situation.

Replies

• seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    to make it completely non-planar you have to move only to vertices...easy enough in maya as well. i dont think max has specific "make non-planar" tools. ;)
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SEB3D is the OBJ file you attached completely non-planar in Max, because it's still non-planar in Maya; if so there is a difference ?
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why does Maya have the option to toggle non-planar if you can't remove non-planar without major frustrations.  I tried blenders, remove non-planar brought the mesh into Maya, the non-planar polygons did not disappear.  

Which is why I want a Max user to try methods, besides moving vertices to see if there is a fast solution that Max may have.  
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    It works fine in Blender, it just needs a lot of iterations. Try around 1000 iterations and Maya will show it as being planar. Not that it actually matters, of course. In a real-world situation you will almost never need polygons to be as planar as Maya needs them to be to call them planar.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you change the iterations in Blender; while I post I'll dig around.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found the option in blender, although when mesh clean up in blender is applied to the mesh and brought into Maya, they continued to be non-planar.  In all honestly I wish I could remove that button from the Maya interface because it's nothing more then could make you clinically insane as you'll never make polygons planar how Maya calculates planar polygons.  

If you know how I can remove this toggle, please let me know; I'll be much happier. :)