Home General Discussion

Open to critique; XCOM Developers embraces mod

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
i was really pleasantly suprised when i read this gamasutra article
i thought it was really refreshing to see this kind of open mindset from the developers. they acknowledge that the mod team improved the game, without any ego very common with these types of things. i think there is a lot to learn from this, especially when it comes to handle critique on something you made. a notable quote;

“It’s in your best interest to simply absorb the information without any sort of judgment and be able to say, ‘That’s better.' All I want as a designer is to make the best game possible, so I don’t care who came up with the idea, I don’t care if they insulted my mother as they delivered the idea to me, I don’t care because I’m more interested in ‘that’s a better idea.'"

around here sometimes heated discussions arise because of problems of handling critique. i think a mindset like the above is vastly superior and will lead to improvment for your self and healthier community discussions. next time someone gets a comment they disagree with here, i wish they would think of the above before replying.