Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast thread - Kvir

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Zolizzo polycounter lvl 8
Hello pals!

I'm a bit of a scrub at this game art stuff, but I guess hopping into the deep end is as good a way to learn as any right? :) I'm about as proficient at 2D stuff as a flower pot is at stopping warheads, but I jotted down this concept sketch to show sort of what I'm going for with my beast.

Kvir is sort of a crow dude. His story is not entirely thought out yet, but he has a complicated relationship with a certain king's daughter. I'll update every now and then when I get to work on it :) 

Latest update: 

Thanks a lot for stopping by, please feel free to leave feedback! Peace!
-Z

Replies

• Zolizzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is as far as I'll take it today :) 

Didn't get around (hehe) to doing much on the back today, but we'll get there. 
    Thanks for taking a look at my stuff :)
  • Zolizzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! 

Starting to feel content with the body, probably going to work on his props and stuff next. Cuffs and the harness/loincloth thing.
    Thanks for stopping by! 

-Zol
  • Dickbutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, the combination of human and crow works surprisingly well. The arms look great, thighs may need some more work though (smoooooooooooooooooth), but overall it seems you're on the right road. What are your thoughts on the discrepancy of muscle mass between the arms/legs and torso/abdominal region? Idk if that's relevant, it looks good anyway. The real question I wanted to ask is this; sup with no dick
  • Oqtopus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wow i love it
  • Zolizzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Oqtopus - Thank you so much! Deeply appreciated :)

@Dickbutt - Thank you very much! I agree with the thigh area being too smooth, but I think I'll have to take a look at the bigger picture when I get his loincloth or waist binding thingie in there. as for the muscle mass, I haven't really thought all that deeply about it yet. I kinda just go for a silhouette that I like and work from there. 
    That being said tho, I am fully aware that I need to study anatomy more. Get a more cohesive feel on my muscle mass and such. 
    As for the dick lol - I know many artists actually like to sculpt in a representation of some kind of genitalia, but I just don't find it all that useful. besides there will be clothing there so it wouldn't show anyway. I guess it would also be a waste of tris, now that I think about it.
  • RakibHasan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RakibHasan polycounter lvl 5
    looking great. design is good too. may be you want to work on little stable pose. It will showcase your model in more proper way. (Just my thoughts ) :) looking forward for next progress. 
  • Zolizzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RakibHasan - Thanks a lot man, and I'm glad you like what I have so far! 
    You're definitely right about the pose. I'll take a closer look at the pose when I'm closer to the body shape I want to achieve. Thank you so much for taking the time to give feedback!

No significant progress today tho - been doing boring grown up stuff all day.
  • Zolizzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor update!

Just done some muscle stuff and other minor tweaks today. Put in bases for new cuffs and made a simple waistcloth too. Not sure what exactly I want to do with it yet. also opened his beak. I think the feet and hands need some work tomorrow. 
    Oh yeah and I made Low polys for a few props that I haven't put in ZBrush yet. Thanks for stopping by! 

-Zol
  • Goolbegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goolbegg polycounter lvl 3
  • Zolizzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Goolbegg - Thank you!

Update!

Not much changed on the backside, but got some work in on his head/hands/feet. Retopo and a bit of a pose coming up next I think. Feet look very chicken-like atm but I think they'll be fine when textures come in. I'll take a look with rested eyes when I wake up tomorrow.

• fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Looks nice man. Looking forward how you do the feathers. 
  • bejibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejibo greentooth
    sweet bird the head looks a little like a mask to me, still sweet  needs feathers 
  • Zolizzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update:

Started a new day job this week so I've been kinda consumed by that. Got the pose down, but need to clean it up and add some scars and other details. Been doing low polys for the props as well, but those aren't very interesting yet :) 
    edit: forgot to mention the floor is just a placeholder - wouldn't wanna be quite that uniform lol

@fantasymaster - Thanks dude, I'm pretty excited to see how I do it myself lol - never touched on feathers or fur before. But I guess some time has got to be the first haha

@bejibo - Thank you! Yes I agree the head doesn't quite blend in still, but I'm hoping the addition of feather stuff will help me out on that - Hoping to get a lot done this weekend!