Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

Demon Monkey King

Submission entry

Backstory:
Wukong had picked up the scent of the demons who had kidnapped his master, Tang Suanzeng. He had also found his master's Buddhist crown along the way. The kidnappers came from the demon's nest at the base of Jagged Teeth Cliffs. These treacherous rocks rose from within the depths of Hell to touch the highest clouds. No diety ever treaded these cliffs as its demonic nature stirred the blood. Despite all his prowess, Wukong found his own blood reacting and the demonic transformation starting. As Wukong leapt from rock to rock, he prayed all was not too late.

character: 90,100 tris
predestal: 2056 tris

Beauty render

Closeup render

Wires

4 x 4096 texture sets (body, head, props1, props2), 1 x 2048 texture set for the pedestal

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    you can never go wrong with sun wukong!
  • phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, worked on pose/composition and a base mesh...still exploring facial designs. Nothing final. C&C welcome.

• phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update: outfit block out, hair placeholder, reworked pose/composition for more motion. Gonna rework the arms a little bigger and also not really feeling the shin guards. Hope to pull off the energy in the pose, nothing final. C&C welcome, cheers !

• phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to get in some work for an update each week, still slowly progressing through look dev. Thinking a more primal feel would fit the contest theme better. Still missing a key piece of the story which is Tang suanzang's head gear. Cheers!

• phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buddhist priest head gear wip

• phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mid-res character pose. Right hand to wield his staff and his master's crown in the other. Will use separate hand and feet rig in final. C&C welcome.

• phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Test renders of the low poly eyeless furless monkey. :)

• phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After doing all the texturing in SP 1.7, now I find out there's SP 2 and the workflow is different. wth... T.T

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Th workflow should be very similar in SP2, what is the difference that bothers you?
  • phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    Th workflow should be very similar in SP2, what is the difference that bothers you?

In 1.7, I was able to export pbr spec gloss while working in metallic flow. I can't do that in 2.0. My options are to rework all the texturing to spec/gloss with the new pbr-spec-gloss shader (for some reason, existing layers doesn't auto update when i add in specular channels) or retool my shader nodes in blender to accommodate metallic maps. The only plus is due to time constraint of this contest, I went with minor modifications of smart materials instead of manually making each material (Its still a half day loss tho). I don't know what I would have done if my material stack was 40 layers. :(

Hope it helps.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can copy the export preset for Spec Gloss conversion from the SP 1.7 shelf to the SP2 shelf, it will work the same way and you can keep working in Metal/Rough and export in Spec/Gloss

You can find it in C:\Users\...\Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\allegorithmic\export-presets
  • phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    You can copy the export preset for Spec Gloss conversion from the SP 1.7 shelf to the SP2 shelf, it will work the same way and you can keep working in Metal/Rough and export in Spec/Gloss

You can find it in C:\Users\...\Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\allegorithmic\export-presets
    Thank you for the fast reply and quick support ! :) I did a fast check with the gold armor smart mat and it seems like the SP2 specular channel gives a different map compared to my 1.7 maps. Now sure which is correct so I went ahead and did a quick retool on my shader nodes in blender to accommodate metallic instead. Below is sample test pic, top is SP2, bot is blender viewport preview render with cycles engine. All 4k maps. My low poly isnt great, cos of the tri limits, had to cut corners, pls ignore.

• phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Putting it all together. I'm left with fur, tweaks, lighting, composition, renders and some post....no pressure.

Not happy with the hair cards, but meh...best I could do for now, no time left. :(
  • phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Submission entry

Backstory:
    Wukong had picked up the scent of the demons who had kidnapped his master, Tang Suanzeng. He had also found his master's Buddhist crown along the way. The kidnappers came from the demon's nest at the base of Jagged Teeth Cliffs. These treacherous rocks rose from within the depths of Hell to touch the highest clouds. No diety ever treaded these cliffs as its demonic nature stirred the blood. Despite all his prowess, Wukong found his own blood reacting and the demonic transformation starting. As Wukong leapt from rock to rock, he prayed all was not too late.

character: 90,100 tris
    predestal: 2056 tris

Beauty render

Closeup render

Wires

4 x 4096 texture sets (body, head, props1, props2), 1 x 2048 texture set for the pedestal

• phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sincere thanks to the organizers for hosting the contest. It was a great practice run and a chance to hone rusty skillsets. Thanks to all who dropped by or gave comments. Cheers and good luck to all ! :)
  • phaselock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet said:
    you can never go wrong with sun wukong!
    I hope it didn't go wrong, cheers ! :)
  • Pixelgorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    Looks great man! Good luck!
  • razzman