Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Guilty Gear Fan art development

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
shayleen_hulbert interpolator
LATEST:

I've loved this character design for a long time and i am so stocked to begin work on remaking the character Elphelt from Guilty Gear. 

I started by breaking down the proportions they have in game and trying to have a solid base to work from.

From this I have made a sculpt base of the character

And a paintover of what i think i need to be working on

I thinking about lengthing the torso and softening the face to help with the harsh lines i have between the nose and the cheek. 

I'm hoping to collect some advice and crits on this before moving on with the body. I really want a solid body sculpt under the clothes so i'm not hiding any poor anatomy choices under the layers of cloth. 

Will anyone be able to give me any advice or ref for what i am missing or should be addressing? 

Thank you!

You can see more of my work here:
https://www.artstation.com/artist/shayleenhulbert

Replies

• karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Nice start! I agree with your changes in the paint over. I cant wait too see more of it =D
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    Get that arm kink in there, it will help sell her femininity a truck load. 
    I like the direction of your paintover, if you can implement these changes you will be much better off.
    Definitely need to soften out the nose bridge, I also think you could make her chin a little sharper to match the design better.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Pretty nice figure! Your approach to nailing the figure first is spot on.
    The musculature is not right on the legs. The leg back inner knee, thigh and calf are not strong volumes. The back upper arm deltoid, tri and bicept plus elbow are not right yet. The character sketch has better and more characteristic volumes atm. Second figure on the right  has a weak lower leg on the inside and the ankles look wrong.

Just my thoughts. Once again pretty good model man.
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since getting some feedback on the anatomy and face for Elphelt i have spent the past couple of days giving her a big update.

Next up will be fleshing out more of the boots and then the face, maybe some hair too! I'm so syked!
    I feel like her upper lip is too harsh and thing. So i'm going to plum them up a little and making them a lot softer. I will have to seperate the legs a little to allow some room for the boot cuffs to turn over.
    Also, i am thinking about rebuilding a lot of the underwear and clothing in MD so they look more natural and soft. The Materials are so thin, i'm struggling to make them look delicate in zbrush.

More to come soon!
    If anyone has any critques or tips feel free to let me know.

Thanks for looking!
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep working it. Those breasts are insane, I think they need to have a bit more gravity in them. Her shoulder/clavicle region needs a lot of love, 
    It feels like the size of the chest + the height of the bust is cramping everything up and not allowing space for all the subtle connections to exist.

Check out some of Haz's work https://www.artstation.com/artist/hazardous and see how he handles these things.

• jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep working it. Those breasts are insane, I think they need to have a bit more gravity in them. Her shoulder/clavicle region needs a lot of love, 
    It feels like the size of the chest + the height of the bust is cramping everything up and not allowing space for all the subtle connections to exist.

Check out some of Haz's work https://www.artstation.com/artist/hazardous and see how he handles these things.

• shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been spending the day blocking out some of the key features of the costume to gage how all of the poportions are going to look as a whole.
    I've done some more work on the face and i'm really liking how its looking at the moment. The eyes need closing a little more so she doesn't look so shocked; but i'm closer to the final look for the face.

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far.

I agree with you about adding gravity to her chest Jacob, but i feel like the size add a lot to her character in the game and the ref I have been using.
    Maybe once moving them down I'll change my mind though :)
    I'll also try to see where in the shoulders i can improve.

Thank you for looking!
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    Hey Shay, really good progress! The face is looking really cute, but I did some tweaks to what I personally think might improve the look. I think the under eye hollows are too prominent and high up atm, and the other big thing that stuck out to me was the hollows on the top lip, under the nostril. I think you could go down a few subdivisions and fill that in so its a smoother transition into the lips. Also, I feel like the bottom lip should blend in a bit more and not create such a strong shadow outlining it, as well as some overall smoothing will really help I think. Personally I feel like the neck is a bit long, and I would reduce the intensity of the collarbone and neck detail and just hint at it instead so its super subtle. I did a quick paintover to show what I mean.

On your full body, I think the hips should be a bit wider to compensate for the shoulders, you could achieve this by adding more of a space between her thighs or adding some volume to the hips.
    Also agree with Jacob about the boobs, I see you're trying to match the ref but with the style change I think it sticks out as a bit odd, more of a natural curve would work well I think to get some gravity in there, maybe something like this? 
    http://myfigurecollection.net/picture/472545&ref=item:112251

• shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your feedback! I'm currently working on fixing up the shoulders, breasts and clavicle area. 
    I didn't notice the hips but I agree that they should be wider.

I'm going to make the breasts a little smaller and add some gravity, along with hips and lips fixes. More updates to come soon. 
    I'm so jazzed about this project, i'm looking forward to sharing more stuff.

Thanks!!
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A big update for Elphelt this week!
    I've worked on a lot of the anatomy and face feeback i got over the past two weeks and i have also begun blocking out the clothing.

I'm going to be continuing on blocking out the clothing, and then painting over the creases for the clothing.
    I feel like the belts and buckles are going to be the more challenging pieces right now, for a can't seem to find any clear reference on how they all fit together.

Feedback is always welcome.
    Thank you for taking a look!

• shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I've been away from this thread for a while, and thought that i would update on the progress! Looking back on the submissions from February i think she has really come a long way, but there is still lots more to do. 

I am currently in the process of retopoing the Elphelt bust and building her pistol. The final sculpt is available to see as a marmoset viewer on Artstation. 

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/zKXR2
    Working on the project has been quite the thrilling battle for me. I have been redoing things again and again, getting a lot of amazing feedback, redoing things again and learning lots of new techniques and workflows when building realistic characters. 

A small paintover of the weapon so far.

The next fight for me is texturing! I think my texturing can be my weakest skill and i really want to push myself to improve! 

Thank you for taking a look and feedback is always appreciated :) 
    Shay
  • shayleen_hulbert
  • shayleen_hulbert
  • sefice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    The face is looking better! I'd throw in a rough polypaint and see how it will look. This usually helps visualize the face even more.
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OOOOH good idea Sefice! I will definitely do that this weekend!

I want to soften the chin and define the shapes in the eyes a little more too.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looking forward to this
  • Leinadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    I think I saw you stream this on twitch at some point, you banned me for not approving of those ears.  =)
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I did a quick polypaint and made some placeholder eyelashes and eyebrows so i could fix up the face a little more. I keep forgetting just how helpful polypainting can be with pointing out some mistakes in the sculpt. 

I made her a little softer and reduced the chin.
    I'm currently working on the weapon during my down time too. 

Thanks for looking!
    Shay
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on the gun for a little bit today, I don't particularly do hard surface work so its been fun to do so far ( i am waiting for the moment the hard surface dread sets in.. Any.. Day.. Now..).
    I'm just trying to think through some of the shapes and details of the piece to make them more interesting, without breaking away too far from the original design. 

I am trying to learn more about guns but i'm still a bit of a gun baby, so if anything screams out at you don't hesitate to say.
    Thanks!

• shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the weapon! I had lots of fun learning and using Quixel for the first time. 
    Let me know what you think! 

Thank you for stopping by!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Looking great!
    Love the style and the screenshots looks pretty fancy
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits said:
    Looking great!
    Love the style and the screenshots looks pretty fancy
    Thanks! I really appreciate it :) 
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while since i updated! But I've baked Elphelt and I am now starting a texture pass. I've blocked in all the clothing materials but i'm still unsure on what materials i want to use. I was going to make a type of pearlescent cotton but i have just fallen in love with the latex material. > w < 

I've been working up the face mainly (as i think once the face is done, everything else will start to fall into place):

Using scanned photos and almost jigsawing her face together. 

I also got an awesome paintover from @future-fiction so i'm looking forward to implementing a softer look. 

Thanks for stopping by!
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my gosh i haven't posted here in a while and it shows. Elphelt has changed a lot since i last updated and she is about 95% done. Its that last 5% that i really want to push. So any advice or critiques please let me know. Here are some quick WIP shots from Marmo3. 

I also need to switch her eyelashes from dither to cutout as you can't see them from this far. Its a shame really. 

To remove the veil i had to remove the shirt to, that's why you can see her back. I could separate them.

I can't wait to have her posed up so i can better hide her body stump XD

Thanks for looking!
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really good, I like the hair :)
    You mentioned that you stitched her face together using photos - where dou you get these photos from?
    I am finding it very hard to find good source images to work with when texturing skin, especially for areas other than the face..
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon said:
    Looks really good, I like the hair :)
    You mentioned that you stitched her face together using photos - where dou you get these photos from?
    I am finding it very hard to find good source images to work with when texturing skin, especially for areas other than the face..
    Hey @Shyralon i got the textures from the 3DScan store. http://www.3dscanstore.com/ I just bought a cleaned head mesh and a body scan pack and then cleaned them up and pieced it all together. It starts like a dull 8k texture, then i just use puppet warp and some images from the internet to piece in anything that is distorted. 

• shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got some really good Critiques over on facebook so i reworked her face a little and softened up the hair ect. 

I made a quick gif of the changes i was going to make to the face. A softer but more structured jawline, larger and closer eyes, some highlights under the eyes and more contour makeup. 
    I also looked up some more makeup tutorials so i could fix up her eyemakeup and brows a little more. 

These are the changes that were applied. 
    I never realised how far apart and small her eyes were until someone pointed it out. She really went from a 7 to a 9 once i fixed it up. I might try to touch up the brow a little more as it still looks like a block of colour. I do want it to look like she has filled them in, but not so much that it doesn't have any depth. 

Another before and after shot

So now i think i'm done. 
    I'm going to pose her up and make her flower bouquet (just as a fun side prop).

• shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been working on making a simple rig so i can pose up Elphelt. 

Its been fun to learn how to rig up something a little more complex than i'm used to. I didn't end up using some of the controllers as they didn't give me the desired effect i thought they would, but i'll be able to get it next time. 

There are some tweaks i have to do to the mesh by hand to clean up some pieces (like the elbows and gloves) but overall i'm pretty happy with how the pose has turned out. I'm going to try and do some simpler ones so i can have a few different render poses. But i only think i have a couple more weeks left on this now. CRAZY.

Here is a test render of the new pose and lighting.

Like i said, there are some mesh issues and i want to rotate he left hand so the top of it faces us more (as it looks a bit wash boardy).
    Most likely i'll be switching from embers to rose petals so its going to be fun to sim some rose petals flying about in Maya (or i could be lazy and do it by hand).
  • shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the final renders!
    I had a lot of fun and now its time to send her off into the big bad world. 
    See more on my artstation!: http://tinyurl.com/h9u2tgw

Thank you!
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Been Lurking on this project. I am really glad that you finished it. Looks great and I love that you did Elphelt. 
  • Enalya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohooo so good =D I can't thank you enough for sharing the full process of your works!
  • Fweddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fweddy vertex
    Amazing, love seeing how everything game together!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Turned out great!
    Congrats on finishing this :)
  • andrelopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andrelopes polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing work! Congrats :smiley: