Home Unreal Engine

Should I not be importing my complex objects as a grouped object?

zombiexm
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
zombiexm polycounter lvl 3
I am just trying to figure out if this is true, after reading around a few things. For example if I make a light fixture that hangs from the ceiling, do I need to combine the whole mesh into a single mesh?, or if I import the object as a group does the light channel UV all have to not be touching I.E. every object in that group, not just within the item inside the group?
I swear I confused myself greatly with this.

Replies

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Ok, this depends. If you're importing them as a single static mesh, the entire group will need to have a 100% unique light map UV channel. If you're going to import them as separate pieces and then put them together inside a blueprint object, you can have each object have it's own light map UV channel. But, if it's going to be one "static mesh" it needs a unique channel.
  • zombiexm
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP said:
    Ok, this depends. If you're importing them as a single static mesh, the entire group will need to have a 100% unique light map UV channel. If you're going to import them as separate pieces and then put them together inside a blueprint object, you can have each object have it's own light map UV channel. But, if it's going to be one "static mesh" it needs a unique channel.
    So Basically in  max I make all separate "pieces" then group them to "Light 1" all have their own unwrap in channel 1 and 2. You are saying the light map has to be "Unique" as in everything in piece one of the group  cannot be touching anything in piece two of the model in that group in the light map channel ?  Since from what I can tell the defuse channel does not matter , or at least it looks like it does not since the textures display correctly.  I'm sorry , the classes I took never really covered the light mapping channels and all that stuff. They just went over basic blocking out with bsp, and importing stuff (back in the UDK days) =| 
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    When I say unique, what I mean is, for the "static mesh" actor inside Unreal, it's gotta have a UV unwrap where nothing overlaps at all.
  • zombiexm
    Offline / Send Message
    So I was correct,  the  texture uv map can be what ever, while the light map uv channel you have to take in account every object inside of that grouped object. as in the image, this happens.   Is there a easier way to make a object with different parts like a desk, and import it without having to rebuild it in blue prints  or what ever you said?