[The Beast] - [Jackie Estacado - The darkness]

tobeeffle
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
tobeeffle polycounter lvl 5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAST UPDATE - To see all the final entry, check last page ;) : 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Polycount,

After reading the contest rules and theme, I told myself "i'm in!". It sounds really exciting and i can't wait to see all the good stuff created by polycounters.

Yesterday, I was looking for a great idea of a beast... This exercice is not simple, there are so much awesome existing beasts. Which type of beast fits with my needs and why? 

I defined three big families of beast : 

- The human like beast: 
As the name say, they're looking like human, as Dracula, jack the reaper, ... The idea is to keep a human looking style to underline their real cruelty. 

( The human reconstructed, but their is (in my mind) two families ) 

- The anthropomorph : 

Easy to recognise, they are fascinating... There is a lot of possibilities : Chtulhu, The pirate poulp in Disney movie (the caribean pirates), Werewolves, etc.

- The genetically modified : 

They're ugly, they look like zombies. Normaly, they use to change their apparences to be more efficient / powerfull, or maybe to get an ability ... I don't know, but i'm sure they're strong and scary.

These three families of beast are so cool, their is so much to do... I really like the Human look, to me it's important to keep a part of human to get the perfect beast but the Anthropo are so badass, more "creative". It announces a cool challenge in zbrush. Also, Gen-Modified are great. I can't imagine all the possibilities and it will be a real challenge for the substance flesh render.

I considered that all of these beasts can be attached to a human being (wife, daughter, the little boy always beaten by his alcoholic stepfather, etc.) which has a terrifying and cruel death experience. That's why our protagonist change and pratice experiences on himself. So we can say that's a beast, isn't it?

A night past, but i was not sure. A Cthulhu Human Prince, or Le German Scientist with his Big Mouth Devorating Soul...
I knew something more. I don't want a realistic rendering reference. With all the voluntees i have, i will never product the same quality as Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean.
I took the problem with a different angle. I asked myself : what characters i like?, which one of them is a beast?. I finally target  these non-realistic characters : Spawn and The Darkness.

They shared a bad end story of love, relativily. Spawn has a lot of representation in 3D contrary to Darkness. It's a good point but Darkness is too clean in those comics illustration. Of course,  I'm talking about the skin / appareance.  
However, if i represent my Beast during the transformation, "He" should keep a part of human and a demon one.

Ok, so now i have to decide how to represent this transformation. One of my best reference is Venom's one. It's really organic (more like a welding feeling) and painful during the process.

Too long to read ? Here's a resume :) :  
- Part of human look like (to illustrate love and humanity)
- Part of demon (for the badass beast side)
- An organic merging (to feel the pain and consumption)

That's how i found my theme character. Let me introduce to you Jackie Estacado, also known as The Darkness, during his transformation process!

Jacky's story : (from wiki indeed)

Jackie Anthony Estacado was born October 29, 1981 in New York City. He has Italian and Spanish heritage. Jackie joined the Mafia at 6, after being adopted by Mafia don Frankie Franchetti, who was told by a mysterious stranger named Sonatine that Jackie's presence in his mob would make Frankie powerful. Jackie came to the Mafia life easily, losing his virginity to a female officer during interrogation at age 14,and making his first hit at 16. He matured very quickly, and soon enjoyed the life of sex and violence. His actions within the mob caused Franchetti to become the most powerful don in the city, fulfilling Sonatine's prophecy.

However, when he turned 21, his dark powers awakened and he learned of his evil heritage. Jackie spent much of his time escaping from or fighting the Angelus and Sonatine and his Brotherhood of the Darkness. Eventually, Jackie chose to quit the mob and turned on his adoptive uncle, Don Frankie Franchetti, to get a clean slate and exit from his life of crime after a meeting with Batman.(This is not interesting).

However, Frankie kidnapped Jenny, a childhood friend of Jackie's, killed her and sent a videotape to Jackie in revenge. Jackie could not take this and called out Franchetti's mob, leading them to an abandoned warehouse covered in gasoline. When the crew arrived to kill Estacado, Jackie and the Darklings threw down their lighters and blew the place and all its occupants to bits, killing Frankie and burning Jackie alive. Over the course of this series, Jackie has made uneasy and often flirtatious alliances with Sara Pezzini, the current user of the Witchblade.

Jackie spent two days afterward wandering around Hell while searching for Jenny until Tom Judge came and gave him hope, a gift that allows men to exit Hell. Jackie's body was then reconstructed by the Darkness.

Replies