Home Technical Talk

Can I edit a model with a rig? And can I add face Blendshapes to it too?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
I have a rig made for my models body, but I want to use Blend shapes for the face, I also want to add a few more detailed parts to the model ( outer eye level and a few bits that did'nt stick right) 

Can anyone send me in the right direction here?

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    It would help if you told us which software you're using. I'm assuming Maya since you mention blendshapes. Are you trying to preserve the weighting you've already done, while making changes and additions?
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    It would help if you told us which software you're using. I'm assuming Maya since you mention blendshapes. Are you trying to preserve the weighting you've already done, while making changes and additions?
    Exactly!!!! :D And yeah, I got Maya.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Save a version of your old model + weighting. In another scene make the changes you need, then reference in the old scene using the reference editor. Copy the weights from your old model to the updated one. I usually find that setting copy weights to "one to one" and "closest point on surface" does the best job. Leave the other fields switched to "none" and make sure that "normalize" is ticked.

You'll probably need to do a little cleanup, but that should get you most of the way there.

Worth mentioning is the amazing script "Dora Skin Weights", which gives you even more options for saving weights and copying across meshes. Get it here :
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/dora-skinweight-import-export