Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Little Beast W.I.P

First time posting here in polycount (though not first time visiting the forums)...so hi!

Thinking in using a character concept i did some years ago for a 2d competition at conceptart.org:

The theme was "personal gremlin" and i always played with the idea of doing the 3d version, so i almost feel like i "must" do him for this contest.

I'm always very interested in hearing comments so be my guest.

Replies

• Legendarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Link does not work )
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Link works for me :) so is he Tiny or is the Pen gigantic?
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is a little gremlin in that version, but i guess i can use an artistic license and make him bigger (human size or more). Mostly because i'm not sure that a gremlin of 15 cm could be considered a beast in the way is supposed for this challenge.

Any thoughts on that?
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking with zspheres....

• TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, 

So this is the process and what i have so far.

After some considerations it wont be a "little beast" as the title of the thread says, later i'll show some models for reference of scale but he will be bigger than humans. 

• TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Departing more and more from the little gremlin to fit better the beast aspect. Added a little human figure for size reference. Zbrush sculpting is adictive!!

Any feedback would be great at this point.

Cheers!

• Sandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting concept  
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sandy!

Breaking simetry and beastializing him a little more.

I have to think in some props and cloth for him, and the story behind him. I have some ideas but nothing final yet.

Any comment about this so far?

Thanks!

• TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update for today, i'm not sure if i should be worried for the lack of feedback or if is just that there are too many threads that makes dificult to reply.

If the design, concept or modeling is not looking so good please let me know!

• TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Massive changes since i think as a beast it was lacking the dangerous (or potentialy) factor.

• RakibHasan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RakibHasan polycounter lvl 5
    concept art looks too good 
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! what about the last 3d version....?
  • luxxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi Challenger. I like this one, but I think his fingers are too short. It's hard to imagine that he would use them to grab something. You could focus on  his palms and feet now as these parts seem to be unevenly developed. I don't like the idea of a beast with this Wacom pen (I do love their products though, lol). The proportions of this last figure are incorrect. I get the impression that it has been "overdesigned" if You know what I mean :).
    So first idea, in my opinion, is the best.
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaks a lot for the feedback Luxxo!! Yes i probably over designed it as you said, i'm just trying to get more interesting shapes, but i think the version you say has more "charm" and is not as stylized. Now i'm working in one that is very "gorilish" but i'm not sure about that either. Is great to know what other eyes are seeing to help define the concept. Hands and feet are very schematic now but yes the fingers will be larger eventually. About the wacom pen that wont be part of the design at all. The concept is for a little gremlin i did for another competition and im just using it as an starting point.

Eventualy i may start from scratch with a new design but i probably play a little more with this to see if i can make something from it.

Thanks, please stay tuned!

Cheers.
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about this....i'm thinking that this beast could be the broken link between whales and gorilas....and for him what could be more beauty and out of reach than some good looking mermaid right?

• Goolbegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goolbegg polycounter lvl 3
    Nice work. I really like the last "whale-gorilla" sculpt. I think it has got really good balance.
    I am looking forward to se how you progress.
  • Z_pix_bro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z_pix_bro polycounter lvl 6
    uuuffff nice love it

• TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the feedback!

goolbeg, cool that you say that about the balance because i realy tried to make it work.

z_pix_bro great to hear that!

• octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    Love the new proportions, I'm always a fan of little legs and big arms haha. Looking good so far!
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks octokitty!

update

• Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Great work! You have some interesting shapes happening here. I had fun looking at how your concept has evolved so far :)

Personally I liked the weight the shoulders/pauldrons had in your last post from Feb 8th. If you pushed the body shape towards triangular it would compliment his giant claw hands and look really cool.

• TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much Sebeuroc for the feedback and taking the time to post that image, very usefull
    I completly agree about complimenting the claws by adjusting the body to a more triangular shape, it was worrying me a little the fact that the body it was looking too uniform (like rectangle shape of the example)

I was also having the feeling that previous version (8 feb) was better than last one in terms of overall design, i'll  see if i can do all this things in the new version without having to go back directly to that previous version.

One thing i'm thinking is to change his relative size to be a lot bigger....almos like a big whale...but the drawback of that is that working the texture for that will be like impossible to handle.....

Cheers!
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More experimentations!

Here i'm going for a more definite whale looking head, and a more clean outline since maybe was to bussy before ( not sure is helping the design or not :(.

Also i followed the Sebeuroc's suggestion about making the body more triangular which i think is helping.

None details or asymmetry yet.
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giving him a less "good guy" expression and reworking his proportions a little....

And testing his swiming capacities....

i think that for the swiming function, i will need to add some kind of supporting membrane in the side that would be retractable and not seen when standing but showing when he has his arms up or swiming.

For that i have two ideas (though i may not go with any of them if i see this will complicate too much the model presentation later)
    Oh and i have his name "Wholatt"
  • nightwoodwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nightwoodwolf polycounter lvl 9
    i like how you are focusing on the proportions and forms first while designing ... keep it up mate, good stuff 
  • TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support Nightwoodwolf!

I'm starting to regret not having simplified the process and have chosen an already functional concept. I feel i can keep tweaking this model for years until i realy like it. 

Anyway here is the last one

• TheChallenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i'm changing so much the concept that i'm thinking about starting a whole new thread.

For the other hand, keeping posting here could be best to follow the progress since i'm not starting from scratch, but reworking the same model.

I left the previous design behind for several reasons:

-not being able to pull of a good and distinctive silhoutte (one that i liked at least)
    -If i won't win, at least i have to consider to end up with a piece for the portfolio that matches current threads at some extent. And i'm not sure the whale concept has potential for that.
    -I'd like to show and practice more about anatomy, and the whale wasn't best for this.
    -Finally, not sure it was bringing the "beast" concept too well. It was looking more like a friendly beast or something like that.

So well, your opinion about this new directions is crucial for me now, i'd like to know your opinion.

The new concept is "the animal's avenger", or the human hunter

Short story:
    Humans kills thousands of animals everyday, and this is the creature that avenges them.

Any c&c, and suggestions highly appreciated!

Option a

Option B