Home General Discussion

Student with life expectancy to around 25, Love to see inside a games studio, South UK, wheel chair

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Hi

There is a college student that has a progressive muscle disease (Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy) and is in wheel chair. The condition will lead to eventual paralysis and can lower his life expectancy to around 25. All the student would love to do is see inside a games studio 
and given a little tour, South of England - UK please, closer to London the better. Any help or leads would be much appreciated, feel free to PM me or post below.

Obviously wheel chair access will be needed, a tutor and health worker will be with him.

He loves Games Art and is trying his best to make a portfolio. 

Contact is Tom Barber <Tom.Barber@westherts.ac.uk>

Thanks again for reading.

Replies

• CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    might help to tell people a location
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Such a young age to die..this is depressing
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    My son has Duchenne as well. I would love to help with this, but I'm in the US. I hope someone steps forward to help him realize his dream.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Location and who do we contact?
  • Kobalt Kiwii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kobalt Kiwii polycounter lvl 6
    Shared this with a friend down south, hope something works out.
  • Jhburton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhburton polycounter lvl 7
    Hey LittleClaude. I'm James from White Paper Games. We're a studio in Manchester and although not the biggest, it might interest your friend to come around and check it out (we can show him all the stuff we do around here) - we might even be able to get him to take a look at a few other studios in the area if he's interested? If we can help you in getting him up here (ie - train tickets, etc) we're more than happy to! :)
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Sad to hear this. It would be awesome to make something happen for him :)
  • chris89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris89 polycounter lvl 10
    Hi LittleClaude,

Who do i contact in case we can help out? We are in the the south east, half an hour by train from London.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Hi 

Thank you for the input, really appreciate it. I will get back to you all by the end of the week. The closer to London the better as travel for the student and the carer is not easy.

Cheers, Neil
  • Macrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    Blond said:
    You can write about how depressing this is, or you can write something encouraging for the young man.  With news features like these, I always imagine what if the person was reading through these, what would you want them seeing?  I'd rather have them seeing something genuinely caring and uplifting.

Here's to a rich experience for this guy.  I wish well for him, and hope everything goes smoothly for those who step up to delight this guy with this dream moment.

I've seen what love for our art and industry can do to the human heart, how it enriches us to create and bring a bit of pleasure to the lives of so many.

To take the nature of craft and work it into something that many will enjoy is one of life's joys.  It is a good passion to have, and I hope he someday soon gets a chance to partake with some of such experience.
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Make sure to take some pictures with him when you go and post them to the thread. I am sure we'd all like to see it!
  • tombarber92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris89 said:
    Hi LittleClaude,

Who do i contact in case we can help out? We are in the the south east, half an hour by train from London.

Hi Chris89,

LittleClaude kindly put this message out for me as this is my student at West Herts college in Hertfordshire.

Feel free to message me at tom.barber@westherts.ac.uk

Thank you everyone for your kind words,

Tom

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Macrow said:
    Blond said:
    You can write about how depressing this is, or you can write something encouraging for the young man.  With news features like these, I always imagine what if the person was reading through these, what would you want them seeing?  I'd rather have them seeing something genuinely caring and uplifting.

Here's to a rich experience for this guy.  I wish well for him, and hope everything goes smoothly for those who step up to delight this guy with this dream moment.

I've seen what love for our art and industry can do to the human heart, how it enriches us to create and bring a bit of pleasure to the lives of so many.

To take the nature of craft and work it into something that many will enjoy is one of life's joys.  It is a good passion to have, and I hope he someday soon gets a chance to partake with some of such experience.
    Er....didn't think about it but you're right.

However this guy is, I wish him to be able to accomplish all the stuff he truly wants in life.
    To add more optimism, I know a few people of my entourage who also were told by their doctors they woudnt live past the year...yet managed to live on decades after.
    The human body is a package of mysteries able of great miracles.

• littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    /\ True, Stephen Hawking is a case in hand living three times what was expected by many in the medical field. Like you say the mind is amazing how it can over come any obstacle in its way.