Home General Discussion

Shadow of the Colossus was ahead of its time

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Sorry for being such a fanboy but in terms of animation (yes, animation, you know me :blush:  ), well, damn, this game was simply mindblowing and STILL STANDS UP TODAY! Actually, I'd even say, it's still the best at what it's doing in terms of motion and to think, it was all keyframed!!

I will start with the horse (please mute the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SugEdJ6meLg

I can't be the only one impressed here. Every motions, while not blending perfectly between each other (video game obliged), you can feel the weight, the speed, the inertia, the balance and the push-impulse in each steps and motions. The animation of Agro, the horse, today hasn't been surpassed,yet, you really feel like you're controlling a living being and not an AI (and god knows how many games today have badly animated horses).

Now, I won't even get started on the colossus because, I'd have towrite a thesis for each one of them but god, never in a game have I ever felt this frightened seeing these colossal majestic beasts and IT'S NOT JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR SIZE; IT'S THEIR WEIGHT!

Weight is one part of the most difficult task to convey onto creatures, game or movies but SOTC did it wonderfully, even with limited technology. Even the smaller colossus convey more weight and credibility than any other creature I've seen in other games.

Shoutout to Avion, one of the most beautiful boss fight I've ever witnessed in a video game.

This game will never receive enough praise.

Replies