Home Technical Talk

Long-Running Technical Talk Threads

Replies

• Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Cheers. :) 

Do you have a specific criteria for what threads get stuck? In honesty, I think a couple of those should be reconsidered as ones which stayed. I think it's great having a Stick thread Dedicated to specific Shapes/Modelling (maybe a revamped version?).

It's helpful having it all contained in one thread which is easy to find at the top of the board, rather than everyone creating separate threads for individual shapes. Maybe it should just have a more blunt title such as "How Do I Model this Shape? - Post for help with specific shapes."

Basically anything which is comes up frequently I think it'd be a great idea to keep stickied, though I thoroughly appreciate that 10000 stickies per section is too many. :P
  • Eric Chadwick
    I think most new members ignore stickies, and just make a new thread for their personal issue. Impatience and all that.

It's then up to those in the know to redirect them to the established threads or to the wiki or to post a solution, whatever they think fits best.

I don't think another sticky is going to solve basic human nature. But I could be wrong!
  • FourtyNights
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Because the tech artist WAYWO thread wasn't dead enough already :( I don't think this improves anything personally!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Added links to the Bit Depths and Skew threads. 
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I think most new members ignore stickies, and just make a new thread for their personal issue. Impatience and all that.

It's then up to those in the know to redirect them to the established threads or to the wiki or to post a solution, whatever they think fits best.

I don't think another sticky is going to solve basic human nature. But I could be wrong!
    I can appreciate what you're getting at, but at the same time, removing them doesn't solve that basic human nature either. It just makes it that much more difficult for people who might be researching thoroughly(and independently) to find information relevant to them/their search. 

If we're embracing that mentality anyway, then clutter isn't relevant either, because by that logic there will be a new thread for every time someone has a problem (which admittedly happens a lot now). At that point though, I'd rather have a clutter of valuable sticky threads taking up half the page, than a new topic for every time someone has a topology issue. (I see Dem Shapes is back, which I recognize and appreciate! I'm just using it as an example).

I can see the benefit in consolidating some of them into groups, like the several normal ripping related topics, or the pipeline/technique related topics. 

This just doesn't really seem like a solution to a problem to me personally. But maybe i'm misunderstanding what the problem was/is. 

• Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    I think a lot of the 'information only' threads are fine to unstick - because the information contained within them could be a polycount wiki section?

• Eric Chadwick
    If you want them back, that's easy enough to do. I found it a drag having them in my face all the time, but I see there is a benefit for stickies.

Which ones would you like stickied vs. not? We can re-sticky all or some.
  • Eric Chadwick
    OK, I re-stuck all the threads except the first three. Would anyone like those to be stickies? Also are there any other Tech threads that should be in this list?

We're willing to do what helps you the most. This is after all, your forum! :smiley: 
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Because the tech artist WAYWO thread wasn't dead enough already :(
    Ugh, so true. I really wish more people would post there.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Hey Eric is there any way to rename the thread of how you model them shapes to something like "How do i model this ? PLEASE LOOK AT THIS THREAD BEFORE ASKING" . might help with the appearence of threads that could simply use google
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Eric Chadwick
    Cleaning up Technical Talk a bit. Old stickies with little traffic have been moved into this list for safe keeping.