Home Unreal Engine

Partial Texture Removal in RealTime?

CGPixie
null
Offline / Send Message
CGPixie null
Hey everyone,
I'm fairly new to UE4 and still not knowing how everything works I was hoping I could get some help :)

How do I remove a part of a texture to reveal another texture underneath, all in real time?

Imagine there is a wall covered in dirt, and using a water hose (or throwing a bucket of water) you clean up the dirt to reveal the surface underneath, while taking into account the collision area where the water particles come into contact with the wall.

I basically want to know how to make a "stain removal" in UE4. I figured there must be a way to achieve this through decals or masks, but I'm not 100% sure how...

Any help will be much appreciated :)

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    This is a more complicated question than it might first appear. 

You'll need a material with both layers, and a way to mask between them. Perhaps vertex color or some other technique. 
    Then you'll have to be able to write to that mask via the particle collision. This is doable, but you'll definitely need some programming/blueprint to go along with it. 
  • CGPixie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGPixie null
    Thank you! :D I did think about vertex painting, but wasn't sure whether it was possible to do so in real time and if I can have my character do so in game. I guess I'll have to experiment and find out a way. But, of course, if anyone has done something similar to this before, I'd very much appreciate any advice.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    they'll be adding the possibility to manipulate vertex colors through blueprint with 4.11 or 4.12. that's at least what they sad in the twitch stream about POM and foliage
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    If you can create specific masks or use a pre-vertex painted(in the modeling package) mesh, you could control the blend with a Lerp and use the strength controls as parameters. You'll lose the variety that comes with vertex painting manually, but it might be an easier setup.