Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aspiring 3D Environment artist: Give me a reality check.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
Here is the thing, I'm 25 years old and about to complete my degree in Industrial Design. I've made maps for fun for some years but only discovered and taken 3D environment art seriously recently.

I'm attracted to 3D environment art because it uses skill in painting, texturing, modelling and art direction all in one. I've always been really interested in colour theory and lighting as well. I topped my class in drawing and am known as one of the better CAD users (Solidworks and Rhino).

That being said I feel like I'm getting a late start, anyway here is some misc work of mine.

7DC157FCEC66ED7CCF6DA286D19AC0182C253556 19201080
7A6370AF50C2EEB5CA32CBE40C53105E1282346E 19201080
E5B05DF83AFD211C977E61A19DF523061CD889CF 19201080

Basically I want to know if I have "what it takes" and also was hoping someone can clear up any misconceptions a may have about working as an environment artist.

Main Role:

- To use game assets to create visually compelling levels within the guidelines of both the art director and level design restraints.

Secondary Roles:

- The creation of game assets for the use in levels.

- The creation of textures for use in levels.

- The ability to concept sketch for ideation and communication (not production painting)

Pipeline:

- Start with preliminary sketches

- Identify models and texture to be made.

- Create level with these assets according to the guidlines.

Programs:

- Photoshop for textures and painting (proffiecient)

- 3DS max for the creation of props (learning)

- Substance designer for texturing (haven't used at all)

- Knowledge of unity, UDK and other mainstream engines (I primarily been using source)

Industry:

- Yes there are jobs in 3D art.

- Salaries range from 45K - 55K entry, up to 68K mid-level, up to 74K senior, with advancment to art director.

Basically I need a reality check from someone more experienced. Do I have what it takes? is it worth pursuing? I've only had the confidence to take such a notion seriously recently, before that I've struggled to get a "real career" in engineering which just lead to depression.

I'm currently involved in a project as an environment artist, it's a friend who said they will pay me for assets.

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You will not be concepting unless in very small teams, so focus fully on your 3D. The stuff is not bad, but at 25 youre behind. The mixer is nice, especially if you did all of the image, but the rest seems way below. You need to be able to get the whole highpoly > lowpoly baking workflow down and know how to texture properly, this takes time. You can do it (Junior+ level) in 4-12 months depending on your current knowledge, skills and dedication. Make sure to use that industrial design knowledge to make better stuff than the others, that will turn out very valuable in the long run. Don't waste your time with sci-fi concepts or crazy stuff, you have plenty time for that when you have all the technical things down, replicate reality as good as you can for now. Also dont waste your time with silly projects that lead nowhere, do straight up modeling and texturing, full workflow, there are some nice full workflow tutorials that will help a lot, like tracker knife or AK47.
    Do straight up hero props, no environments. Its easier to throw away and faster finished and you lean more by doing one complex thing than 50 simple ones. Don't mess up your chances by sending your stuff to early, make sure to get another portfolio check 4+ months down the road. A weekend job is always a good idea if you rely on money, also makes you want to achieve the other one more.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike said:
    You will not be concepting unless in very small teams, so focus fully on your 3D. The stuff is not bad, but at 25 youre behind. The mixer is nice, especially if you did all of the image, but the rest seems way below. You need to be able to get the whole highpoly > lowpoly baking workflow down and know how to texture properly, this takes time. You can do it (Junior+ level) in 4-12 months depending on your current knowledge, skills and dedication. Make sure to use that industrial design knowledge to make better stuff than the others, that will turn out very valuable in the long run. Don't waste your time with sci-fi concepts or crazy stuff, you have plenty time for that when you have all the technical things down, replicate reality as good as you can for now. Also dont waste your time with silly projects that lead nowhere, do straight up modeling and texturing, full workflow, there are some nice full workflow tutorials that will help a lot, like tracker knife or AK47.
    Do straight up hero props, no environments. Its easier to throw away and faster finished and you lean more by doing one complex thing than 50 simple ones. Don't mess up your chances by sending your stuff to early, make sure to get another portfolio check 4+ months down the road. A weekend job is always a good idea if you rely on money, also makes you want to achieve the other one more.
    Hey thanks heaps for the advice. Yes my 3D is lacking mainly because I've only used programs that aren't good for game asset design (gun is in rhino, mixer is in solidworks) both are really bad for game art. My uni provides full premium digital-tutors tutorials which seems to have really good resource. My main focus is improving my workflow, I've found I've been capable whenever I try something but brining all the elements together (sketch, model, texture and in game) is really lacking.

The tip about focusing on realistic hero models is a really good Idea I will definitely take this to heart and focus. I know I'm behind but that's life I guess. I will keep trying, thanks.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Hey, fellow Industrial Designer graduate here. I agree that you need to focus on the technical parts that are in demand, like high-to-low workflow, baking, PBR texturing, definitely start practicing on props of varying complexity and take them to finish. Drawing skill is good to have, it will help  better visualising ideas, but it's only a side skill compared to the main one, which is 3D.

I was interested in 3D from as early as highschool, so by the time I finished college, I knew a lot of 3dsmax (I used to make school projects in 3dsmax not Rhino like requested), and parts of the industry workflow (baking, UV'ing, texturing, after gathering every resource I could find). After you land a job, you'll get up to date with the industry in a couple of months (in a week of work at a job you'll get more done than in a month at home). The advantage you have is the eye for composition, colour, form, etc from the Industrial Design background, you can apply that to the props you make to get them interesting enough to catch the eye of any employer.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer said:
    Hey, fellow Industrial Designer graduate here. I agree that you need to focus on the technical parts that are in demand, like high-to-low workflow, baking, PBR texturing, definitely start practicing on props of varying complexity and take them to finish. Drawing skill is good to have, it will help  better visualising ideas, but it's only a side skill compared to the main one, which is 3D.

I was interested in 3D from as early as highschool, so by the time I finished college, I knew a lot of 3dsmax (I used to make school projects in 3dsmax not Rhino like requested), and parts of the industry workflow (baking, UV'ing, texturing, after gathering every resource I could find). After you land a job, you'll get up to date with the industry in a couple of months (in a week of work at a job you'll get more done than in a month at home). The advantage you have is the eye for composition, colour, form, etc from the Industrial Design background, you can apply that to the props you make to get them interesting enough to catch the eye of any employer.
    Thank you so much for the promising words! It's good to see another Industrial graduate enter the field. I will definitely focus on that, I have lots of friends who want models so it should keep me busy!

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Yeah, you'll have to work pretty hard to catch up, but if this is what you want to do, it'll probably be worth it in the long run. I don't know, because I'm kind of in your situation too, albeit 3 years younger.

If you want to go 100% 3d, the best advice I have is to look at other people's work at websites such as artstation and zbrush top row and see where the bar is set for 3d. Break down what you see into base components, analyze them, then try your best to raise the bar. Games are becoming more and more similar to movies in terms of 3d, so movies are excellent inspiration nodes too.

Like others have said; really get a good foothold on the PBR process. Cage baking, mesh exploding, efficient UV mapping, materials, how cloth simulations work, water simulations, explosions, blood masks, axis-coordinated textures and so on, and how they all fit together within a game engine, and interact with the 3d assets that you make.

good luck! :D
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros said:
    Yeah, you'll have to work pretty hard to catch up, but if this is what you want to do, it'll probably be worth it in the long run. I don't know, because I'm kind of in your situation too, albeit 3 years younger.

If you want to go 100% 3d, the best advice I have is to look at other people's work at websites such as artstation and zbrush top row and see where the bar is set for 3d. Break down what you see into base components, analyze them, then try your best to raise the bar. Games are becoming more and more similar to movies in terms of 3d, so movies are excellent inspiration nodes too.

Like others have said; really get a good foothold on the PBR process. Cage baking, mesh exploding, efficient UV mapping, materials, how cloth simulations work, water simulations, explosions, blood masks, and so on, and how they all fit together within a game engine, and interact with the 3d assets that you make.

good luck! :D
    Thanks man. The only reason I feel confident doing this, besides being behind, is that while my technical skill with 3DS max and zbrush is not up to snuff, my degree and experiences have still taught me the design process and delivering projects as well as general design thinking. Next year I'm going to try incoporate my projects with something design related (probably augmented / virtual reality) I'm also doing free lance work for a game atm, earning under minimum wage tho, it's my internship I guess.

Also with being behind, I guess I will just be 25, 26 surrounded by 21 year olds when I get my first job right? is that really that bad besides wasting a few years, or do people only hire young?
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Just to add, there is no ahead or behind.....there is no catching up, or ahead of the curve, there is only good and bad. Given that you can work in this field until your 60s i imagine, it really doesent matter when you start.

The advice on doing props and single hero pieces is solid too
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav said:
    Just to add, there is no ahead or behind.....there is no catching up, or ahead of the curve, there is only good and bad. Given that you can work in this field until your 60s i imagine, it really doesent matter when you start.

Good Point, my age is definitely an insecurity with me, but at 31 I could have 6 years experience. And I'm sure the last 6 years of engineering and design will help in some way - my sci-fi crates will be the most user friendly! 
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Yeah, age isn't a factor imo, there are people coming in fresh that are 30+, and you can improve very quickly if you set your mind to it. Be determined, manage time well, try to network, and that's about all there is to it.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Just gonna add to what others have said, you might just be at the beginning of climbing that hill but there is no catching up to do, of course it some what depends on the country you want to work in but mostly this industry doesn't age discriminate. Back in school there were lots of guys older then you just starting with 3D and most of them are in a good place right now, so wouldn't worry about that, take your time to get better.

a degree in industrial design sounds quite nice on the CV for an environment artist, so I would work on stuff where you can use the skills you have learned from that, at the moment you should focus on simple stuff and get the basic workflow right though.
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Drav said:

Thank god someone understands this! :pensive: 

Age is irrelevant (unless you're 80), because you're not on some kind of timer where you can only work up to age 35 and then be barred from the industry. So you're not BEHIND anyone. From my experience, you're not gonna be surrounded by 21 year olds when you get a job. And hell, if you're gonna become super insecure about your age at some point, you can just freelance from your bedroom chair. Harder to do that as an engineer and having to watch hot young new engineers being hired at your company!

As far as you "having what it takes", the question should really be "will I be able to put in the necessary work?"
    There's no innate "having it", it just boils down to the number of hours put in. To check if you're already there, simply compare your work to current games and go back to grinding your skills.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're looking for brutal honesty, no I don't think you're there, yet

What you have, is roughly in line with what the industry was doing 10-15 years ago. What I see is barely acceptable for mobile platforms today and not at all acceptable for current development for consoles or PC. BUT I think you have a good foundation to spring from. 

Your portfolio and art needs to answer questions that an employer will have. They have fears and anxiety about your ability and your portfolio needs to address those fears and answer all of their questions, so they are confident in your ability to walk in and knock it out of the park. Most places aren't looking for someone to get their foot in the door and train up while on the job. They want someone who meets or exceeds their expectations. Keep in mind that each place is a little different but there are some common things.

Having been on the hiring side of things here are some things I would address:

How is it constructed?
    Based on the shots I'm looking at, I'm not sure how you make your assets.  
    It's not just about dropping jaws with final polished shots, but your methods need to be clearly laid out and solid. It helps to see the wireframe overlaid the model. This lets them know how advanced you are at modeling. What you know about topology and how you deal with difficult areas on a model. Do you use a lot of conjoined models or separate pieces? Do you understand why this is ok on high poly but frowned upon for the low? Do you know the difference and how to bake? Will the models be easy to understand and edit by other artists? 

UV's?
    It helps to see how you layout your UV's. Do you waste space and use giant maps with tiny details that won't down-res well? Do you know how to mirror UVs effectively and deal with seams? Do you know where to place seams? Can you deal with stretching effectively? Do you know when to straighten pieces, even if it introduces stretching?

Materials and Shaders?
    I see a lack of material definition and very basic shaders. I don't see a solid understanding of reflection or normal maps. I see a lot of flat materials with a lot of of detail in the color Chanel. 

Engine preview and working knowledge?
    I don't see anything that indicates that these assets have been put in a game engine. This raises flags that you might not be familiar with some of the core features of an engine and you might not be familiar with working inside of one. Again it's not impossible to train someone in this regard, but that just means you will need to be really strong in another area to make that training and ramp up time worth it. Answer this question, so they don't have to worry about it. 

Each game and engine is different and you can't be expected to know something that is strictly proprietary to their company. But there are enough free or near free engines available that will help check that off the list. They have a lot of common threads between then and it really helps to know some of the common pitfalls of working on realtime content. It helps you avoid a lot of issues and if you don't have that experience it shows. Again this can be "on the job training" but then you have to be amazing in another area that more than makes up for this.
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Everyone here has excellent suggestions and feed back. I have been suggesting this to various people here on Polycount so below is a copy and paste. If you follow this tutorial it will teach you a great deal about modeling and UV mapping.

I would start a new project and follow a correct pipeline.

I suggest following this tutorial made by Polycount's very own Millenia. It is an older video so the texturing pipeline is pre Physically Based Rendering. Follow his tutorial from High Poly to low poly modeling, his UV methods, and how he bakes that detail down. After UVing you can watch his texture process however keep in mind the industry has shifted from DNS or Diffuse (with Ambient Occlusion stored within the texture map), Normal, and Specular to PBR which is Albedo, Metalness, Roughness, Normal, and Ambient Occlusion. (Follow the references provided below.)

Weapon creation tutorial - Part 1 (high poly model) - Millenia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tgy0lBdJK0

Weapon creation tutorial - Part 2 (low poly model) - Millenia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceN-tdgf_fs

Weapon creation tutorial - Part 3 (UV & baking) - Millenia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_1ql8yH2Ow&spfreload=10

Weapon creation tutorial - Part 4, final (Texturing) - Millenia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8oC1HsjOgk

Some great reference for PBR texturing:
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fb9_KgCo0noxROKN4iT8ntTbx913e-t4Wc2nMRWPzNk/edit

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/02/18/working-with-physically-based-shading-a-practical-approach/

http://www.artisaverb.info/PBT.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNwMJeWFr0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt30zzBQb3w

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Everyone else's advice seems solid, the one piece I can give you is make sure your stuff is fully textured and finished when put in a portfolio. High-poly models without textures on any of them on a portfolio gives off a feeling of a lack of understanding of a certain aspect like texturing or the ability to finish a project, unless the highpoly is damned amazing and usually then only accompanied by plenty that are fully finished.

As an environment artist for modern games, you'll also want to know when and how to properly use tiling textures and multiple UV sets, albedo/diffuse/colormap (diffuse generally had more lighting information baked in vs modern albedo/color), tangent-spaced normals, spec&gloss or roughness, metallic, AO map, lightmaps or emissive maps, etc. As an example a building may make usage of multiple tiling textures for their materials on UV Channel 0 or 1 (depending on how the engine names things), and have a second UV set strictly used for the baking of lightmaps or ambient occlusion.

There is also the ability to make things like buildings modular in nature as an environment artist, whether that be having the models be easily swapped out with other texture sets, or built so that they can be snapped together like legos if you were a level designer. (Bethesda's games are a prominent example of this)

I'd also switch to Unreal Engine 4 over the UDK as that is an older game engine (UDK is Unreal Engine 3), or learn CryEngine/Unity 5, or all of them a little while specializing in one. I used to use the source engine a lot when I was younger for level design, but frankly unless you're working for Valve Software or are making assets for the TF2/CS:GO/Dota 2 marketplace you likely will never find another studio that uses it in comparison to say how many studios today that use Unreal or Unity. Everyone seems to be using a pbr workflow these days or are catching up to it, so I'd learn that ideology. Even if you end up working for a company that uses more dated technology or a simpler handling of rendering or something like a mobile game, it is still important to show that you can create art in the most modern workflows.

One last thought is that generally the larger the company you work for, the more specific job tasks you will have. IE some large studios will have lighting artists, foliage artists, weapon artists, vehicle artists, etc. I'm not sure if you're clear on this but I'll get this out as it was one of my misconceptions at first : Level design is usually thought of as separate from an environment artist's position as one is to make fun and interesting levels, and the other is to take that level without altering it's general flow and make the visuals look compelling. The smaller your studio is the more likely it is that you'll be taking on multiple roles. IE I think someone who worked on one of the Far Crys said they had what they called "Level Decorators" or something of that nature, where they didn't actually build the main layouts of the levels but focused on adding in things like props, foliage, set dressing, etc. That's also a very very specific job however so I'd say just focus on making really nice "hero" models/props for now like the above suggested.