Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tutorial - Forest Ground Tiling Texture & Free Stuffs

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
Hey everyone! I wanted to share with all of you. The tutorial is finally out :D
For those that are interested, it has 25+ HD Videos, Over 14 hours, and we cover the entire creation process of making a tiling forest ground texture. I have also created some more free brush alpha's for you guys AND a 1 hour long intro to zbrush course for FREE! Which covers setting up a tiling texture workflow in zbrush, gathering reference for your next project, and some simple zbrush tips and tricks to help get you started.
I really hope this all helps you guys and I appreciate everyone's support and feedback in making this tutorial. It will be on sale for the whole first week with $10 off! Head on over to gumroad and check it out!

Thanks again everyone and enjoy, happy learning!
https://gumroad.com/purepolygons

Questions/Comments:
www.facebook.com/purepolygons

Marmoset Viewer Version can be found here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kZAVx

Updated Images: 04/18/2016

https://youtu.be/Ka9E_Fz7pSY

Replies

• Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Hi,

i thought I'd have a look at this after seeing your work earlier on in the WYWO thread, I was impressed. However, after looking at your gum road - even the free tutorial is attempting to charge me $4.99.... When you say it's free :/

Additionally, whilst I understand you have put ALOT of work into this - I simply cannot justify it being $49.99 each (with the $10 discount - which also isn't working on gum road as it says $59.99) despite all the things you provide I would only use the video personally to follow...
    I personally believe you would sell a lot more to a wider audience (including hobbyist and professionals if it was cheaper).

keep up the good work will be waiting reviews before I consider it further :)

edit: don't want to get any hate so just for comparison this is equally as expensive as gnomon's...
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Dave Jr,
    It is absolutely free :)
    The $4.99 just pops up because gumroad is making a "suggestion" if you want to donate $5 for the free tutorial, but it definitely is free don't worry haha!

Also for the tutorial itself, it is the same thing it is only a suggestion from Gumroad since the original price was $59 it asks how much you would like to pay, but you only have to enter $49 into there :) As for the price, I understand it isn't the cheapest tutorial, but I can assure you that neither is the content! I spent tons of time making this look beautiful for you guys and packing it full of as much information as I can. Tutorials on places like Gnomon and Digital tutors usually hold a higher price tag and with less hours/content within the tutorial. The price may not be for everyone as I know not everyone can afford the tutorials from Gnomon and Digital Tutors also, but if you get around to checking it out at some point it has enough info in it to get you so far into zbrush that you can create a lot more than just tiling ground planes when you are through :)

Thanks a lot for the comments and I'm sorry for any confusion with the prices! All the best and I hope you at least checkout the free stuff and see if you like it before buying the full length tutorial.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh ok I will checkout that content... You will probably twist my arm so expect an inbox from me soon enough ;)
  • av0101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    av0101 polycounter lvl 7
    looks great hope to check it out soon!
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    $49 for in depth step by step insight on the creation of  some of the highest quality textures I've seen on polycount... count me in.
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you very much for the tutorials, they really seem to worth the money, the previz looks awesome! The truth is that these kind of tutorials can save you lots of time and make you achieve much better results, since they are made by people who actually work in the industry and face time and budget problems everyday! (And Naughty Dog is a fucking awesome studio).
    However I think that education should be reachable for everybody, and sometimes  the best tutorials are those that you have to pay a high price for, but that is why places like polycount exist!
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the compliments guys! I had hoped to find the best balance for price to content that I could as that is always the toughest thing for people it seems, but I'm happy to hear you guys think it's worth it! If you share the post on facebook I am offering people a 10% discount as well!
    www.facebook.com/purepolygons

And since I know not everyone will be buying it of course, I definitely wanted you guys to still be able to get your learn on and pickup some free alpha's while you're at it :) So I did my best to keep everyone in mind
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome Jacob!  Where in the hell do you find the time to do this? hah

Dave JR, think of it this way.  $50 for a very in depth tutorial that shows every step of a very nice looking texture, from a texture artist at a top tier game company isn't that much to pay  ;)   Will buy!

• Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bought :) Haven't regretted it and after looking at the contents would of paid more! Well worthwhile for anyone who's sceptical out there - this is a AWESOME tut.

• xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Slowly pushing myself from props/hard surface modeling to environment art, so $50 bucks is a good price point for how much your covering.

Ya'll need to consider that there are classes/schools out there who only cover a fraction of this stuff for $2000 a class, let alone with professors who were in the industry 5+ years ago. Anyways, thanks for this Jacob!
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome Jacob!  Where in the hell do you find the time to do this? hah

Dave JR, think of it this way.  $50 for a very in depth tutorial that shows every step of a very nice looking texture, from a texture artist at a top tier game company isn't that much to pay  ;)   Will buy!
    Dave Jr said:
    Bought :) Haven't regretted it and after looking at the contents would of paid more! Well worthwhile for anyone who's sceptical out there - this is a AWESOME tut.
    xChris said:
    Slowly pushing myself from props/hard surface modeling to environment art, so $50 bucks is a good price point for how much your covering.

Ya'll need to consider that there are classes/schools out there who only cover a fraction of this stuff for $2000 a class, let alone with professors who were in the industry 5+ years ago. Anyways, thanks for this Jacob!
    @kernersvillan - Thanks a lot Josh, I appreciate the kind words :) hahaha and I know, i really need to get some more sleep in all seriousness. I had actually planned to have this done by November of last year, but here we are.

@Dave Jr - Thanks a lot for supporting the tutorial! And thanks a ton for the kinds words, I'm really glad you ended up enjoying it :)

@xChris - I was actually a Sci-fi only guy for about 3 years almost at Insomniac, but slowly I've been enjoying organic more and more. I still have a ton to learn, but I would definitely say to give organic a try. Maybe you find out you really like it :) Thanks!
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Sold! This is awesome info. Thanks
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot SSJTroll! I saw some of your environment work on your portfolio. Beautiful stuff man :)
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Great stuff Jacob! Hope to get this soon as I'm doing a module at my university on texture art :)
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    well sculpting tileable textures with ZBrush is not entirely new to be honest.
    But these are some great results I have to say. So thanks for sharing and for your effort.

The puddles look great, but thats heavily depending on the engine that you use and how they need to appear.

Also displacement is something that cant really be used on ground textures. More realistic would be Parallax-mapping which doesnt create real geo. Or even only normalmap (for Unity) ... so the results are a bit misleading because it cant really be used in practice.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    LOVELY!! now i just need to get some money, You're an inspiration J.N! =)
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger said:
    But these are some great results I have to say. So thanks for sharing and for your effort.

The puddles look great, but thats heavily depending on the engine that you use and how they need to appear.

Also displacement is something that cant really be used on ground textures. More realistic would be Parallax-mapping which doesnt create real geo. Or even only normalmap (for Unity) ... so the results are a bit misleading because it cant really be used in practice.
    So this tutorial isn't really practical for gamedev?
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    defragger said:

well ..... I wouldnt say this in general.

The nice Marmoset screenshots with displacement and puddles and everything will definitely work for portfolio pieces and maybe for naughty dog, but unfortunately not all of us. That doesnt mean there is nothing to learn from this tutorial!

This is a good way to make nice tiling ground Materials. I also think ZBrush is the way to go. But there are many great ZBrush tutorials already out there. The Nanomesh thing for example has been explained in depth elsewhere.
    I dunno .... just my opinion.

It is not my intention to bad-mouth something here. Please everyone decide for themselves if it is useful.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    I'm pretty sure you can use a height map in ue4, and pack it into a pmsk. Epic is also making use of parallax occlusion mapping in paragon, this is a stream that happened last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gBAOB7b5Mg
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle said:
    Great stuff Jacob! Hope to get this soon as I'm doing a module at my university on texture art :)
    wirrexx said:
    LOVELY!! now i just need to get some money, You're an inspiration J.N! =)
    defragger said:

@3DKyle - Thanks a lot Kyle! Best of luck at your university :)

@wirrexx - Haha thanks a lot man, that means a lot

@defragger - That's true, this isn't a new technique or ground breaking haha, but I wanted to make this tutorial for a couple of reasons. A lot of the content can be found across the internet, but you will need to look in many many places and all of the material is not connected in how it is explained. So i wanted to make an all encompassing tutorial that shows each of these process and how they related to each other/how they can be used together to make a game ready texture. While displacement maps can be expensive, they are also being used a lot more in Games for both real time tessellation and parallax mapping. It is great to know how to use them and create them, because they will become part of the standard workflow as technology continues to advance. We already have much higher polycounts in console games and even in my recent Procedural Nature scene I am using real time tessellation at about 30fps on about 3 year old hardware.  Feel free to check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gut5ermayK4
    Of course it may be some time until this becomes the "standard" but it's good to learn it and understand it sooner than later :)
    Thanks for the comments!

@Maximum-Dev
    All of the processes shown in this demo are the same techniques I use to create my ground textures here at my Gam Dev job and I have been using at my last few companies as well. You can definitely use this to make game-ready textures and just "re-size" the textures as needed or turn off tessallation as needed :)

But I do need sleep very badly, so please disregard any misspellings or possible ramblings lol

• jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to try to get this into Marmoset viewer for you guys so you can see it in realtime too :)
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love your tutorials and only just saw your procedural pack... I really want to achieve those visuals myself for my own folio so am pretty uncomfortable at buying it at the moment :) looks like I have some research to do!
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Will definitely check it out when I get some extra cash!
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr said:
    I love your tutorials and only just saw your procedural pack... I really want to achieve those visuals myself for my own folio so am pretty uncomfortable at buying it at the moment :) looks like I have some research to do!
    Will definitely check it out when I get some extra cash!
    Thanks a lot guys :) Appreciate it and hopefully I can finish up the next chapter for it soon. I still want to do a pass of adding snow on top of the material and then showing how to set it all up in UE4 with material blends/landscapes etc.
    Does that sound good ? :D
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone!
    I have always wanted to go back and update the texture since I was never fully satisfied with the result. So I have gone back in and made some updates and changes that I am much happier with! I hope you'll all agree. All changes made to the texture are using the same techniques seen in the tutorial. New and old versions can be seen in the pictures
    Marmoset Viewer Version can be found here:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kZAVx

Here are the pics :)