Home Technical Talk

360 seamless pattern projection using an alpha in zbrush or sp

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
demigodssw greentooth
guys I cant find any way to project a pattern on a spherical object using an alpha without getting any seams basically i want something like the pattern of a football on a sphere for getting details normal map details.
Plz help

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    What you're asking isn't possible. Projection painting is view/camera dependent. So as the distance from the camera falls away from perpendicular to parallel the texture projection will eventually 'smear' as it crosses the viewing threshold.(Mari has edge-masking to avoid this)

You could use radial symmetry in ZB on multiple axis and try and hack it by rotating the mesh.....but really, for something like a football(hexagonal/pentagonal pattern on a sphere) this could easily be modelled in your 3D program.
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    What you're asking isn't possible. Projection painting is view/camera dependent. So as the distance from the camera falls away from perpendicular to parallel the texture projection will eventually 'smear' as it crosses the viewing threshold.(Mari has edge-masking to avoid this)

You could use radial symmetry in ZB on multiple axis and try and hack it by rotating the mesh.....but really, for something like a football(hexagonal/pentagonal pattern on a sphere) this could easily be modelled in your 3D program.

I wont be painting it manually for eg i will create a fill layer in substance painter and put the pattern on the height map slot so that the pattsrn is applied to the whole mesh
     you're are right about the modeeling it in mesh part but if the scale of the pattern is very amall (example pattern on crysis nano suit) then it becomes very difficult to modwl it on the mesh
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    The nano-suit pattern example would be a tiling texture mapped to the UVs. If you could create a tiling texture of whatever pattern you want to apply then this would work. You would need to have good UVs, plus it might be difficult on a spherical mesh as the seams would be visible.
    A character's suit is much easier to tile-map as the seams would be strategically hidden.

This is different from projection painting though, which is view dependent as I mentioned above.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator

For a high frequency pattern on the ball (Not the stitched patches) a tri planar projection might work.

• demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    after lots of googling i cant find any way i asked some guy at my office though and they did something like that by modelling so guess i will have to model 
    thank you musas and m4dcow