Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4: Crusher

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kettun polycounter lvl 10

This. Took way too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsZjCyK868

Just a few inches more and he -could- very well appear as a modded challenger in Unreal Tournament. And that's why it took too long. I did LODs, Hairworks, Apex, Advanced rigging (like 3 times because of filecorruption) And the tech I needed not actually beeing released? weak excuse, I know. But I just wanted to try out hairworks. and then dropped it again.

Inspired by the streamer itmeJP who does a live pen and paper rollplaying games series called “Rollplay”, I decided to make Crusher, his character on the show called Mirrorshades. which is a Shadowrun campaign, Cyberpunk. It’s starting to form a pattern already.

Tech Specs

Model is 65k Polygons, has LOD’s, Apex Cloth and a fully working skeleton. With a few more tweaks it could be used in UT.
It uses 3x2k textures, in addition to a whole bunch of tiling textures adding up to about another 2k in total.

It is of course rendered in Unreal Engine 4, at realtime, and uses Layered materials, parameterized, for easy tweaking.

Some Process.

Animated GIF of the hair.
http://imgur.com/APQ9idh

Any Feedback, positive, negative, constructive, deductive, is welcome and embraced.

Also, first time I'm really making a thread like this. Be gentle... I guess? :D

Oh yeah, since it's rigged, and skinned, and I kinda wanna get this guy into UT. Are there any talented animators out there I could... strike up a conversation with?

Replies

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    That is some super nice, highly polished work!
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is some super nice, highly polished work!
    Thank you, that's really nice to read!
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Very fancy looking. 
    What's his story? 
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, I didn't actually add it.

In the Cyberpunk future of 2050, the UGE, (Unexplained Genetic Expression) has started causing people to rapidly evolve into different races. Crusher, as he is known, is a Metahuman who, during his early years grew into a troll. A traumatic experience that already left a fairly unintelligent human, as a "one intelligence" Troll. At this point in his life, he has lost the ability to speak, and can't even tie his own shoelaces.

Crusher has extensive Cybernetic enhancements, most prominently, his two Mk1 Ares Tech Cyberarms, but also a wired reflexes system attached to his spine. Trolls in the Shadowrun universe have an incredibly tough, usually calcified or leathery skin forming dermal plates, warts, or otherwise reducing "appeal" to non meta's. Crusher also has a severe allergy to iron, hence why his skin is rather pale. My personal take on that is that he's got a similar sort of thing done to him as Raiden from the Metalgear series, white blood, which is why he is so incredibly pale.

If you wanna know of his misadventures though, I strongly suggest watching the D&D campaign on twitch.tv/itmejp, called Mirrorshades, which is a Shadowrun campaign, it's a lot of fun to watch. 
  • Raane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raane polycounter lvl 3
    Nice work man!
    The thing that jumps out at me is that his facial hair in the top images doesn't really feel part of the model. The ones further down the page (and the gif) work a little better. Perhaps give it a little blue shadowing where the hair grows and on the whole beard you could bed it in with a subtle 5-o'clock shadow to showing the bits where he's shaved or the smaller (non hairplane) hairs closer to the skin.
    Other than that he looks great! I love the shoulder pads, the lit dynamo and fiber jacket pipes work really nicely.
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raane said:
    Nice work man!
    The thing that jumps out at me is that his facial hair in the top images doesn't really feel part of the model. The ones further down the page (and the gif) work a little better. Perhaps give it a little blue shadowing where the hair grows and on the whole beard you could bed it in with a subtle 5-o'clock shadow to showing the bits where he's shaved or the smaller (non hairplane) hairs closer to the skin.
    Other than that he looks great! I love the shoulder pads, the lit dynamo and fiber jacket pipes work really nicely.
    You're completely right about the beardhair! I'm actually still looking into how to actually do that. The skin doesn't cast any shadows (dunno why), so while the hair has awesome backscattering, that extends to the beard, on the wrong side. making it feel more out of place than it should be. The lower images are actually nvidia Hairworks, which dont have backscattering.

I'm definitely adding the 5 'o' clock shadow like you suggested though, thanks!