Home Contests & Challenges Archives Company of Heroes 2: WAR PAINT contest

[Resource] Company of Heroes 2 Meshes for all factions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
Its what you've all been waiting for:
Meshes for all factions!

----------!Note!-----------

This is not an officially supported resource. 
All included models are copyright to Relic Entertainment. 
The models are provided as-is for the purposes of enhancing this competition.
These are only to be used for modifying Company of Heroes 2.
The UVs and mesh normals may not match exactly to the in-game models as these required cleanup after export. 

If you are changing the normal map or have details that need to match pixel to pixel, please check them in the game itself. 

US Expeditionary Force

Soviet Army

German Army
*German Army does not include the Panther tank. Model would not export cleanly. 
British Army

Oberkommando West

Replies

• georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    I found a viewer that can saw you FBX files , so how these can help us to see our work ? is there a way to minimize time of checking the skins otherwise than playing the game etc etc?
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    georider said:
    I found a viewer that can saw you FBX files , so how these can help us to see our work ? is there a way to minimize time of checking the skins otherwise than playing the game etc etc?
    Yes. Just about every 3d art creation program on the planet right now can load up FBX files.  (Blender, Max, Maya, Lightwave, Substance and many others, and viewers like Marmoset) 
    So you can preview your textures in your content creation app rather than having to bake the pack and load up CoH2. 

Also programs like 3dCoat and Substance Painter can load up a texture set and you can paint directly on the model, so more complicated skins become much easier to produce. 
  • puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    puppeteer polycounter lvl 4
    This is fantastic! Earlier you were mentioning how crazy it must be to go into the game every time you want to check out the skin result. Well that was how I was working the past couple of weeks. This saves so much time.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH, cant wait to try when i get home
  • GenAugustus
    i can't seem to open this type of file with photoshop.
    Is there any reason for that to be happening?
    What my screen says everytime I try to open a mesh, it says that "it's not the right type of document"... 
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Probably because its an FBX, i think photoshop can only do OBJ
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    @GenAugustus These are FBX files for 3D programs like Max and Maya to preview the meshes. Photoshop will open the texture files (PSDs, TGAs, etc).
  • f_x
    Thanks again for this.  It's a very useful resource for COH2 skin mods beyond just the scope of this contest.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    Oh wow.  I'll have to explore this more, but if this means I don't have to load the game to view my progress, then you sir have saved me a TON of time.  Thank you!  It's too bad no one figured this out(or were told how by Relic) 6 months ago....
    Thanks again!
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Vailias since the majority of us (2d dev's) we are not familiar with 3D , can you provide some toutorial how we can see our skins in that way. Thank you in advance along with cheat mod that will be our salvation for our spending time!
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    georider said:
    Vailias since the majority of us (2d dev's) we are not familiar with 3D , can you provide some toutorial how we can see our skins in that way. Thank you in advance along with cheat mod that will be our salvation for our spending time!

Well, your skins are textures, so you just import the models into a 3d app of your choosing, then apply a material, then assign the textures to the matching slots. Mainly the diffuse color. 

If you have a particular program you use, I'd honestly suggest starting with a google search or the individual program documentation, as the exact process varies per program, but importing models and assigning materials are some of the very first things you'll do in a 3d package. 

Photoshop can import 3d models also, though I haven't done that in a few years. Check the help files or search "Photoshop import 3d model" on google and you'll get several video tutorials and help links. 

Photoshop can't import FBX directly, but it can import OBJ, 3ds, or DAE. 
    Here's a free converter for FBX files if you need it:
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909
    Starbuck said:
    Oh wow.  I'll have to explore this more, but if this means I don't have to load the game to view my progress, then you sir have saved me a TON of time.  Thank you!  It's too bad no one figured this out(or were told how by Relic) 6 months ago....
    Thanks again!
    Yep that's what it means. :)   
    Ryswick said:
    I LOVE YOU
    f_x said:
    Thanks again for this.  It's a very useful resource for COH2 skin mods beyond just the scope of this contest.
    :D Thanks! Glad to be of help. 
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Just wanted to chime in to say thanks :)
    These will be a great help!
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    By popular demand I'm making the modified model export script available for download.
    Click here to get it

To make this work you'll need to put the enclosed files in your scripts folder under your 3dsMax install directory. 

This is nearly identical to the original script released/developed by Corsix and modified by Darkbladecr  

Only real change is I have disabled the material extraction and setup as it just kept throwing errors, and frankly, y'all should be capable of that. :)

More setup instructions here http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?248913-TOOL-RGM-Importer-v0-24-Works-for-NEW-versions-of-3D-max!

Also of use if you want to keep modding after this contest: http://www.coh2.org/topic/37612/tool-coh2-rgt-viewer/page/1
    The RGT (texture file) viewer and extractor. 

Between these and the info provided by relic, you should be able to get whatever models you want to mess with out. 

If they open up skinpacks to more than just vehicles in the future, this could be useful.
  • realb33rm4n
    And...if I am a Maya user?  :o