Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rapier

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
Here is a rapier that i started working on yesterday, used curves to make the basket guard. Tell me what you think!

Replies

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress, redid some of the basket (asymmetrical now) and added the handle itself. Some parts are still placeholders, but its getting there.

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates.

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, does anyone know a good way to bake these colors in XNormal like and id map? Painting this out in photoshop seems like an absolute nightmare, right now its just Maya materials assigned to the faces. 
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind, solved it, just filled the vertex colors and baked that, really obvious but I totally forgot I have done it a million times when baking stuff from zbrush. 
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Nice modelling. I think the rounded pommel suits a dexterous weapon more than the hexagonal one, unless you're following reference
    xNormal has a 'bake base texture' option, you should look into that I think, I've never used it though. 3ds Max and Maya both have colour id baking features.
    Maxilator said:
    Never mind, solved it, just filled the vertex colors and baked that, really obvious but I totally forgot I have done it a million times when baking stuff from zbrush. 
    Oh ok.  :#
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice modelling. I think the rounded pommel suits a dexterous weapon more than the hexagonal one, unless you're following reference
    xNormal has a 'bake base texture' option, you should look into that I think, I've never used it though. 3ds Max and Maya both have colour id baking features.
    Maxilator said:
    Oh ok.  :#
    I tried that base texture thing, didn't work for me, just gave me a flat color everywhere there was geometry. About the pommel, I don't know, the first one was a placeholder, I might go back and change it if it looks off when its assembled but right now i prefer it hexagonal, has a bit of a more stern look imo.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo some texturing, feel more or less done but I'm leaving it for tomorrow to see if I want to change anything. 

Just noticed, the blade isn't as short as it appears in this picture, looks so due to fov and the angle. 
  • HashBrownHamish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HashBrownHamish polycounter lvl 5
    Maxilator said:
    I would like to know what you mean by that because i've ran into that problem too may a time ^^

Model is looking fine btw but i think it could use some more gloss/spec variation in the metal especially the handle 
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator said:
    I would like to know what you mean by that because i've ran into that problem too may a time ^^

Model is looking fine btw but i think it could use some more gloss/spec variation in the metal especially the handle 
    Well, It's pretty straight forward, you fill vertex colors in the areas you wish to separate and just save the high poly (for some reason maya wouldn't save the vertex colors in .obj format so I had to save it as .fbx and that worked) when you then bake in xNormal, turn on the option "bake high poly vertex colors" where you choose the maps you want to bake. Also, don't forget to uncheck the "ignore per-vertex-color" where you import the HP mesh.