Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Victorian creepy interior scene

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6
Hey all -

Been working on this scene and would like some feedback. Anything I should add to make it more interesting? Looking to make this a portfolio piece, so please critique away! :)

Rendered in Marmoset. Though I do plan on bringing this in to Unreal at some point.

I can post individual assets and flats if needed!

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assets look good but the first thing I noticed was the really strong light coming through the door but its totally pitch black on the other side. 
  • griffiti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    griffiti polycounter lvl 4
    I agree with Mats Effect, the lighting is too strong. You can see the intensity of it on the left. There looks like a lot of ambient light in the room as well. For me the wallpaper tiles too obviously because of the dirt you have on it. Could you use a separate dirt texture as a second layer in the shader? The composition in the first image isn't really working for me either. What's the focal point of the scene? Try and guide the viewer's eye to this with the assets in your scene.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the feedback!

@griffiti - The thing to me thats missing from the composition is lack of personality in the scene. I can't figure out whats missing or what could spice it up a bit. As for composition, I was trying to guide the eye to the table and the book on the table by using the light coming from the door. In turn this would also guide the eye to the candle holder right above the table. 

I also don't know if I can do layered shaders in Marmoset? I have never done it in Marmoset before...hmmm. But good advice on that one, the wall always did look a little stale to me. 

@mats effect - Good call - I threw a plane behind it this morning to get the light to reflect back and it makes a ton of difference. No the outside lights up. I guess I wasn't really thinking about that area since I was focusing mainly on the interior of the room.
  • griffiti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    griffiti polycounter lvl 4
    @mobkon Yes I agree with your personality comment. Could you have a feature along the wall like a fireplace? This could be an additional light source too. Or create more clutter on the desk with books and paper scattered on the floor around it? I think you should guide the eye to one thing in particular and use the other props to help support the guidance rather than jumping from one prop to the next. I'm not sure about layered shaders in Marmoset as I'm pretty new to it too!