Home General Discussion

Actually using models - Not just wasting space

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
Hey all,
So I'm not sure how many people have had this problem, but I've personally noticed that usually, when working on a project, my motivation/enthusiasm on it depends on whether the project will actually be used somehow, and not just left on my hard drive to take up space.

Whenever I work on a single model, I get the feeling like I'm doing pointless work or wasting time, since the model wouldn't really be needed - if that makes any sense. It also feels kind of bad to just leave a model just "gather dust" and take up space on my HD. But when I work on an asset for a game, for example, I feel a lot more motivated knowing that the piece actually has an use and feels like it's needed, and won't just be a waste of time.

A few ways I've thought of trying to overcome this would be to:
- make custom content for a game, like a custom map or custom models (though I'm not sure what games actually allow this, I've looked into Age of Mythology though, as I'm a huge fan of the game. I also know that COD 4 allows custom maps on the PC)
- make a larger project that takes up multiple assets, and thus perhaps making it feel like the assets have an use in the project (like a composition or even a game, as I have a fair bit of Unity/C# knowledge)

Anyway, I'd like to hear you guys' opinions on this; maybe I'm taking a wrong approach here? I feel like working on a larger scale project could do the trick. :smile:

Replies

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    You can always set getting some of your assets on a marketplace as a goal, like the Unity Store or Unreal Engine 4 marketplace. Or try your hand at the TF2/DOTA2/CSGO etc. markets.

Besides markets, there's also contests and competitions for fun. IE the monthly environment challenge can perhaps be motivating to you, while not strictly a competition it's nice to be able to work on the same thing with other artists and share your works in progress as motivation to the end.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Do an entire environment with all the props (find a concept or photograph which inspires you), do a (polycount?) competition, or take part in a mod!  You can create or join a team with a goal in mind. Ark for example is very open for modding.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    It's funny that you mention it.. while I do have similar feelings, finishing single assets is not a big deal.
    Finishing a complete scene for portfolio takes a lot more dedication than the creation of a single asset (of course).
    There's a set of additional skills needed to make a scene look good.

I'd go for a small scale scene. Oh and choose your concept/theme wisely! Something that you can manage, but with a few elements you still need to improve on. Oh and of course take something where you find a decent amount of reference images.
  • Bluestemos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the replies guys :smile:

@Deathstick : I'll have to look into the markets a bit. As for competitions, they could actually be interesting. I thought about taking part in the Monthly Noob Challenge, but I'll have to see if my studies will allow me.

@ghaztehschmexeh : Teams are kind of hard to form, especially if we're talking about people who live near me, as I don't know anyone else who has similar interests. 
    An environment could be fun to make, though.

Also, doesn't Ark require UE4 usage? I'm in no way experienced with UE, so that might be a bit problematic at first - but I think I'd get the hang of it after a while.

@Cay : I guess I could try making a modular environment, like a tileset. That way I could focus on smaller parts at a time, and only make as many parts as I feel like, while not making something way beyond my skill level or too large. I've noticed that modular level pieces are actually selling quite well on the Unity and UE marketplaces, so I think that could definitely be something I might try.

Again, thanks guys - I think I've solved this. :smile:
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    The way I see it - it's part of improving one's skill. Imagine guitar, how many songs you need to practice that you'll never play to anyone? Same thing. If that's what you want, seeing your art improving with every piece should be a good enough reward to keep you creating more and more.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Seeing as you have the skills to actually make a game I am not surprised you find the act of just making a model and texture to be pointless work. Modeling and texturing are subordinate to the game design. If the models and textures are not being created to serve a game, they are indeed pointless.
      Since you know C#, start there. Make something that needs models and will give them a purpose to exist. If the assets you make work for your project they have a higher likely hood of working for others as well.