Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE] Modular Oasis Buildings "Moorish"

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PianoPolish polycounter lvl 8
Hello...

My name is Antonio. I'm a amateur Level Designer. This time I created a map based in the Chebika Oasis, Havasupai Oasis and the Kalahari Desert. I called this Oasis "Emerald" due to the water is too shiny and clean like a emerald. :) First I have to clarify that the vegetation assets are not created by me. I only have re-textured a lot of them including the big red rocks. ;)

These modular buildings are my first assets that I created for a game.  :p For baking the textures in the maps, I used "CrazyBump" and obtained the textures from various free textures pages. 

Here are some key reference. I really like the atmosphere created in this artwork of UNCHARTED 3, so I use it in the map.

I follow some tips of the workflow from Anthony Vaccaro in this thread:

http://polycount.com/discussion/98332/uncharted-3-environment-art-dump-anthony-vaccaro11/07/14/havasupai-arizonas-desert-oasis/

Also I was watching some of the work from Bradford Smith in his portfolio:

http://bradfolio.com/portfolio/naughty-dog/uncharted-3-drakes-deception/

Some screenshot, sorry for the quality. I'm really bad taking pics.

Some aerial pics of the map.

I re-textured some of the stock rock than come with the CRYENGINE Free-SDK version, because  they look really weird.

On the right side, the rocks with the custom texture. I created the river white rocks. These are my first rocks in 3DS Max. B)

Sorry for the f_cking wall of screenshots,  >:) I would really appreciate any suggestion, feel free to leave a criticism. :)

Cheers.

Replies

• mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Pretty good looking scene. How did you do the large dunes? Modeled or sculpted with terrain system?
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    That look pretty good individually! I'd say the assets look a bit too much like they're shoved together instead of fitting together naturally. Some clever decal work can help with that. but overall nice work!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really good assets and lighting, composition of objects could be better in places and blending of foliage with ground looks a little odd in some shots, its still pretty awesome and looks true to the references
  • PianoPolish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the nice feedbacks, everyone. Really glad. :)

@MRGESY : I used World Machine for the terrain. B)

@FRENETICPONIES : Thanks for you suggestion. Next time, I will focus on that.

@GED : Yes, I agree. The rough, scrub grass don't match with the terrain grass texture. I changed the foliage color a little bit brown and it works, but in the shadows areas the foliage don't matched with the sky color and looks weird so my only option is to desaturate the terrain grass texture but I must paint the whole terrain again. Thanks for you suggestion.
  • PianoPolish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my little and final update of the project. :3

I also worked on a skin texture and material for the main character game to test the CE rendering skin with the atmosphere of the map. The Female Elf Model was made it by another team member from Japan. I used PS to create the Textures of the Elf Character (hair, body, face, eyes, cloth).  I had never worked on a skin texture and material so don't expect something amazing. ;)

The key reference to create the melanin of the skin and the eyes color in a sunny and glowing atmosphere:

Some shots of the Female Elf Model (skin, hair and eyes test):

Finals screenshots of the map finished:

Feel free to leave a criticism. And thanks very much for watch.

Cheers. And Happy New Year. :)  

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think that character is extremely out of place and distracting to an otherwise cool looking scene. Nothing in the scene fits with her design, and her look fits with nothing in the scene.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    I agree, let the environment speak for itself. Unless you want to turn it into DAZ studio.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Maybe if she was clothed in desert style clothing etc she would fit more, perhaps this sort of style but more moorish in colour and pattern http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/95/1600x1231_16541_Stormcaller_2d_fantasy_character_desert_elf_mage_sorceress_woman_picture_image_digital_art.jpg , the bikini just makes her seem more like a barbie doll with no story at the moment. Her face looks pretty good though and the hair is coming along well too.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Hay! I love your natural assets (rocks, trees, foliage and grass) and how they're all compiled.

Thanks for sharing :D 
  • PianoPolish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, thanks to everyone for the feedbacks. :)

@BARDLER : Yes, is true. This is something that touch hard with the anachronism (moorish and nordic), but the game concept is a Fantasy RPG, so the girl elf design don't have sense, is legitimate in this genre.  I only created that scene with the girl to test a white skin rendering in a sunny and glowing atmosphere. Thanks for you feedback. Sweet works I see in your Portfolio, btw. 

@MRGESY : I understand what do you mean, so I will keep with the atmospheric direction of the map. DAZ Studio? Wow... I never see that..! I think it's a cool stuff. Thanks for the feedback. 

@Beard3D Bandit  : The natural assets were made by various artist (I only create the textures and the white river rocks) the rest of the map (terrain, buildings, layout, lighting, atmosphere... etc) was made by me. Thanks for watch.  :)

@GED : Oh... Of course. She will be clothed. :D  Sorry I should post the cloth concept with the previous screenshots. Yeah, it have Moorish style in the colors and vectors. These are the two main concepts.

This desert map is one of the various world that will be available to play in the RPG game project that we are working on (cold, tropicals, dry, etc). So the cloth design must beneutral, without and specific culture direction.  I will try to get a better skin and hair material. Thanks again for you suggestion. B)

Well, that was my final update of this project. Many thanks for the feedback and suggestion,  everyone. Really appreciate.

Cheers and the best of lucks in your future projects. :)