Home Technical Talk

Need your topology check - newbie.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Przerywnik polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys. Im a student of graphic design, im making my graduation project right now. I did the sculpt and now i m doing the retopo. This is the most disturbing thing ever... >.< 

There are some pics, im using the references from the web, but sometime its not so simple to find it out how to go with the loops to dont interrupt them.  I want to texture and render it in ue 4 and also try to rig it and animate some idle stand or something. I need your opinion becasue im stuck a little. 

Best regards, Milosz.

Replies

• Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Don't be too concerned with keeping everything quads and having contiguous flow for your lowpoly mesh. You're not gonna be subdividing it so you don't really need clean edgeflow. I'd be more concerned with having the topology follow the features and shapes of your mesh. 
    My usual strategy is to build face loops around important areas like the mouth, eyes, ears, jaw, etc, as separate islands so to speak and then connect them together and clean up if needed. A good rule of thumb is to keep the number of sides on your loops to the power of two. You don't need to obsessively count and match up every piece, but as long as you stay in the ballpark of those numbers things tend to line up nicely. But of course, throw in a few extra loops if you feel you need them. It's more important that it looks good rather than be theoretically perfect. 

Also I suggesty using symmetry, it's gonna save you a lot of time.

• Przerywnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Przerywnik polycounter lvl 4
    @Fingus

Hello my friend! Im really thankfull for your response. Im learning by myself for most time. Your tips are rrerally helpful. I didnt know that it works like that, I was always trying to retopo it in the perfect way, and when something gone wrong I just started from beggining.. and thats the result, below. I think that im more satisfied about it, because its more complex and low polygonal. How do you think? I will keep in mind all your great tips, mate.

Next step, doing the retop of body i will keep the loops using the reference from net i just found.  I think its also a really nice thing we got here. And quite simple to understand. Best regards Polycount!