Home Technical Talk

fixing Zbrush Go-Z and Scaling , how?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
xvampire polycounter lvl 14
hi Guys, I have my 3dsmax scene Unit scale 1 unit = 1 cm, to work on unreal scene, 

unfortunately zbrush GoZ  doesnt like this setup , ( unless i use fbx  of course ) 
we wont have move tool works properly. ( tried to find the solution in google with not much solution  unless i use snake hook )  . as well as other weird unit problem like dynamesh.

to retain subdivision in zbrush without reproject it i usually use goz for that, so how do you fix this issue?

I come up with brute force solution, which is not really elegant, but it works on my workflow at the moment , 

basically  change Goz macroscript scale , and  write simple scaling script and run goz before export. 
here is the  stuff i have so far. 

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cxi8lnrsl68ep9p/goZ_better_export.zip

------------------

MAKE BACKUP before overwriting anything, use at your own risk

copy to Macro_GoZ.ms
C:\Program Files\autodesk\[[[your 3dsmax version]]]]\scripts\Startup

drag and drop goZ_better_export.mcr to your 3dsmax viewport to install.

you can find the tool in 3dsmax - customize - user interface - toolbars
Category: "Arif_Export"
toolTip:"GOZ_better_export"
---------------------------------------
the tool is still very brute force for now , so use at your own risk
clean up Goz temp folder before using it ( located at C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZProjects\Default 
)
-- to use ,
follow the installation instruction, 
run the script when you want to export to zbrush, and vice versa run Goz in zbrush when you want to export it back to 3dsmax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcGysl_fWOs

last time I use go-max , but the tool not updated for latest 3dsmax :*(   

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    out of curiosity - what is the benefit of using GoZ? i remember using that in the early days, running into scale issues like some coworkers and losing work over it. resorted to OBJ exports which are very predictable here and never looked back.

is it about exporting multiple subtools at once?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You can export crease data with Maya GoZ. I prefer OBJ because it's really straightforward, universal, and doesn't have weird issues.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    eh realizing not many ppl using goz anymre ... ^_^;...     
    yea I use goz due to my lazy effort on exporting during 3d concept stage.  it is for multiple subtools, and retaining its subdivision in zbrush.
    but thats ok, i guess using obj for one subtool at a time works just fine too.