Home General Discussion

Best Software to create sketches to be used in Maya?

JDM
Hello, I heard somebody say about a software that was great to create reference images and sketches to be used in maya, unfortunately couldnt catch the name.   Any recommendations? 

Thanks. 

Replies

• JDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDM
    Doing some research I think that was sketchbook pro... any comments about it?  is it worth it?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Any paint program is probably going to be equally good. I don't see what advantages sketchbook pro would have over photoshop for example other than maybe symmetrical painting.

• JDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDM
    I been testing it and I think it's great!, much easier to use than photoshop specially if you have a digital tablet
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    PS is nice, but super expensive for only doing sketches.
    Sketchbook pro is cool, and had a very clean, non-overloaded interface last time i used it.
    Also look at Krita, which is an amazing full featured painting tool and free. Its open source and developing very quickly
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Any program with good symmetry drawing should be great.

I primarily use clipstudio for now. 
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i second krita

the symmetry tools are awesome
    you can put your symmetry line where you want and it will draw the symmetry in realtime
    you also have radial symmetry which is alot of fun playing with
    also the brush system rocks :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Krita is the best sketching app I have used so far. It also handles vectors if you need them. Ah I see SNOWINCHINA also likes Krita. Yeah the brush sims are amazing!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    sketchbook designer is also worth a look...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXENHOzf3AE
  • JDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDM
    Thank you guys!  I'll test krita, so far loving sketchbook pro, pro version it's cheap and well worth it - $29 yearly subscription
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Any paint program is probably going to be equally good. I don't see what advantages sketchbook pro would have over photoshop for example other than maybe symmetrical painting.

Sketchbook also has great perspective tools. Super nice for those of us who aren't quite as strong in 2d as 3d. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Frankly if you're going to be drawing references for scenes that require complex perspective and you're going to be modeling them anyway then you should just start by modeling them. "Sketch" it by blocking it out in 3D. Trying to draw it just strikes me as a waste of time and energy, especially for people who are as you put it: Stronger at 3D. 

I'm familiar with Sketchbook Pro, it's a fine drawing program. As is I'm sure everything else listed in this thread. OP asked for the "best" software and my point is pretty much that there isn't one, preference is really the deciding factor here. Even for symmetrical painting, you can symmetrize a picture via hotkey by setting up an action in Photoshop.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Frankly if you're going to be drawing references for scenes that require complex perspective and you're going to be modeling them anyway then you should just start by modeling them. "Sketch" it by blocking it out in 3D. Trying to draw it just strikes me as a waste of time and energy

I hope I am not going to sound like a naysayer, but I personally strongly disagree with this. Even simply sketching a profile curve straight on the screen with a dry-erase marker or with a screen annotation software can save a ton of time. Nothing beats the fluidity of the human hand, and on top of that, having an established goal to work towards is always a huge time saver compared to improvising in 3D, with all the limitations that comes with it (impractical curve handles to tweak, faces to extrude, move brushes causing surfaces to get lumpy, and so on).

I understand that "jamming straight in 3D" seems to be popular these days as shown by the many timelapse videos floating around, but good design rarely comes from improvisation (even though happy accidents can always happen of course).
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I like pen, pencil, and/or non-photo blue pencil with either regular old paper or graph paper for the initial drawings to be quite honest. It's easier to make the marks that you want to make without having to adjust them afterwards. You'll need a scanner to get the results into your computer accurately though. For cleaning up the lines and the dust, fixing a few proportions, and putting in colors it's hard to beat Krita, but you might actually not need to go through that stage at all if you're just using it as modeling reference.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    pior said:
    Frankly if you're going to be drawing references for scenes that require complex perspective and you're going to be modeling them anyway then you should just start by modeling them. "Sketch" it by blocking it out in 3D. Trying to draw it just strikes me as a waste of time and energy

I hope I am not going to sound like a naysayer, but I personally strongly disagree with this. Even simply sketching a profile curve straight on the screen with a dry-erase marker or with a screen annotation software can save a ton of time. Nothing beats the fluidity of the human hand, and on top of that, having an established goal to work towards is always a huge time saver compared to improvising in 3D, with all the limitations that comes with it (impractical curve handles to tweak, faces to extrude, move brushes causing surfaces to get lumpy, and so on).

I understand that "jamming straight in 3D" seems to be popular these days as shown by the many timelapse videos floating around, but good design rarely comes from improvisation (even though happy accidents can always happen of course).
    I didn't mean to suggest that people just skip the concept design phase and go straight into detailed modeling if that is what you're reading, what I mean is that 3D is a far superior for laying out your scenes perspective than using perspective drawing tools in a paint program.

My issue is that it's easy to mistake a bad painting for a bad design. Does this suck because the design sucks? Or is it because my painting sucks? With that in mind when people try to tackle a scene there's strong bias to make design choices based on whether or not they can draw it easily and effectively, not on what will give them the best design.

So they'll do things like simplify the perspective by making it a long distance shot, or obscure the floor with foreground objects so that the intersections don't look wonky, or they stack the scene with foliage/rocks or other organic objects that can be fudged better in perspective, or they simplify their shapes and choose angular objects that are easy to lay into a perspective drawing (or crazy shapes that can be fudged like organics) and people rarely ever offset the flat edges of their objects from the VPs in their painting because it just means more perspective bullshit to solve. Tools like Sketchbook Pro's makes it cleaner to draw a line to a VP than setting up massive pinwheel spokes but it doesn't do much to alleviate the most tedious tasks of perspective setup.

What should have been an attempt to find the best design quickly becomes an exercise in trying to work around their own drafting inadequacy.

Working in 3D frees you up from all this baggage because no matter how complex your scene becomes it will effortlessly render it in perfect perspective. (with correct cast shadows too, which almost no artist bothers to solve for and just eyeballs in concept sketches) And you can still go back and do crude greasepen sketches over it if you have an idea, but in instances like that accuracy is not a concern.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
    Okay, so I only ended up on this thread because I just typed in Krita into the search bar and am generally terribly lazy.

Anyway, I am actually agreeing with BOTH pior and Atticusmars, which might be odd, but it honestly depends on your perception of concept art, and what you are actually conceptualising.

Like, the OP asked about what I assume is a program to quickly doodle some orthographics in. Maybe some emblem designs that he can trace over. In that case, Pior's position is indeed correct, doing these kind of little designs in any program with symmetry is indeed the easiest way to go about it.

But if you start doing a full scale concept art, that needs to be perspectively correct, like AtticusMars is thinking, then doing the basis in 3d is the easiest.

In the end, the most efficient way is combining the two in some kind of unholy matte painting monsterousity. In the above picture, doing the top two designs was easy, but the lower design took me just as much time as the top two due to fiddliness of perspective. If I had just made the base block in Blender or whatever, I could've made a quick render, brought it in as a file layer/smart layer, and continued on doodling architectural details on there.

Just don't forget that at the end of the day, concept art is about conceptualising, so even if it's incorrect, the point is that you experiment with ideas and that you jot them down in a shorthand that is useful to you as an artist. (And arguably, it is part of the job of a 3d artist to succesfully translate a concept artist's shorthand into something nice)

That said *puts Krita-dev hat on*, there's some neat features in Krita that can help iterating on concepts. I uploaded a *.kra file of the above here: https://share.kde.org/index.php/s/IZHd9Lnjcfq2vyk
    Draw on the layer "sunpattern (doodle here)" to see what clone layers and transform masks can do, or tick 'assistant' in the tool options of the freehand brush to see the perspective tools in action.