Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: nDO painting mode on existing dDO project?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Linkitch polycounter lvl 13
I'm working on a project that I'm pretty far with in dDO, but I want to try adding some normal detail by painting on the model. I don't really see an easy way of going about doing this.
If I open up dDO and load the project, and then load up nDO. All nDO then wants to do is convert my active layers.
Am I missing something obvious?

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Linkitch!

For now, at least, NDO is the primary normal map development tool. You'll want to make almost all of your details in it before you move on to DDO. In DDO, you can add a bump map channel to your project (in the top right of the primary DDO window, click the dropdown menu, Add New Map > Bump) and the bump map you've added will be combined into the normal map upon export. This is a workaround for now, but be aware that DDO will not respect the bump channel's input for texture masking - you'll need to 3D paint any details around the bumped area.

It's also worth mentioning that you can 3D paint a bump map on your model via the bump channel. Select a bump layer, click on DynaMask, and paint away! :smiley: 

• Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Can I just add, the bump map will be added to your normal map only in some exporters (the game engine ones I think). Some it will not.