Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Might need a better disk...

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
kohg polycounter lvl 9
So after setting everything up (maps and mesh) in DDO and baking the maps, i opened up 3DO, to find out that i most likely need a new disk. Right after opening up 3DO a message popped up saying that i should close Photoshop for insufficient memory. When i pan the view it turns pitch black and once i'm done the image/mesh reappears again. When i tried to open the material browser the program pretty much crashed.

Also  when i work in max, every now and then, just by browsing through mozilla i get an insufficient memory message, which leads me to conclude that it definitely has to be disk related.

My PC specs are the following:
GForce 660ti
AMD FX 8359 - 8 core - 4ghz
8Gb RAM
My current disk has 500gb from which, currently only 190gb are free.

Now before i rush into buying a new disk i just wanted to make sure that i'm diagnosing the problem correctly.

Also while i'm at it, my mesh displayed horribly in the 3dviewer but it doesn't in marmoset, i baked my normals in Vray and i usually flip the Y in marmoset and i did the same for DDO. I remember having the mesh being displayed similarly in marmoset and was fixed through fixing some topology and UVs, so strangely it worked in marmoset but it didn't seem to work in DDO.

And one final question, is there a way to add more meshes to the project? I really didn't understand the group work flow thing.

That's all for now and thanks.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Your HDD is fine. The issue you're describing sounds like insufficient RAM. CTRL+SHIFT+ESC will bring up the Task Manager. From there, you can click on the Processes tab to see what your memory usage is at any given time. With 8GB of RAM and running anything over 2k in the Suite, you're already close to 3GB of memory or more. If you're working in 4k and you have other applications open, you're probably out of memory by this point. You may wish to upgrade to 16GB of RAM - that should significantly improve performance. :smile: