Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Moorish Diorama

karynatrychyk
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
karynatrychyk polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys!
There is a project I started some time ago, and I decided to make this thread to keep myself more organized and to get some feedback :)
This work is inspired by Moorish architecture and it's a fragment of an old building that could be probably found somewhere in Morocco. I'm a big fan of ornaments and carved details and it's always fun to make such kind of things.
Here is a blockout.

Some hi-poly details:

And a donkey:

C&C are welcome!

Replies

• karynatrychyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made tiling blocks for the wall in substance.

• karynatrychyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more new tile for the scene.

• karynatrychyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys!
    I just finished making textures and moved to Unreal to merge everything together. And at this point I would really appreciate some crits and advice. Here there are my working screenshots.
    I plan to make blended material for walls and to add some decals. And I really need to make a new lighting setup.

• karynatrychyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again! Here is what I came up with. What do you guys think?

• Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Hay Karyn! Lovely work on the textures, I love howtexturing brings a model together, I hope you don't mind me noting a few things.

Ofcourse, I don't know how far along this is to being 'complete' for you, but as it stands I shall try and provide a little bit of feedback :)

1. Flora: My personal target this year is to bring some environments to life with some flora/grass/foliage. When I look at the current renders you have provided I immediately think 'BROWN'. Once you have finished with the decals and the finishing touches on the materials of the building, I would begin to somehow think about adding some wonderful contrasting tones.

Whether it's a tree outside, with it's roots attempting to bulge and break open the paving outside with flowers seeping through, or perhaps research in what market stands are available in places such as Morocco. OR BOTH!! Bring some life into this, and make it mean something.

2. SCALE!: This is something that take me 'out' of an image, impressively speaking. The first thing I try and do before even modeling anything, is listen to music and make a list and some drawings about what this building is for. Is it residential? An illegal trade market that (on the outside) looks like a postal office? Once you know what it is, then you are able to play with scale. (in my mind, is how someone would work, eat and sleep there?)

So, scale! Immediately looking at the image, the donkey looks WAY tiny. This could be one of a few things, one being the door on the left with the steps leading up. Whether it's that the door itself or the fact that the stairs look very large I don't know. Perhaps play with that particular entrance a little more? Whether it's a modest couple planks of wood that make up the steps, or maybe a mosaic stepped entrance with a small staging area. The second I said that, I imagined the dweller of this building as someone who could have bought it for cheap, and is currently bringing life back to it by repairing and repainting it. 

One more thing are the central windows, in England we usually have Bay Windows, so I may be biased by saying they look residential, and very large in scale. One method of fixing that could simply be by having clutter or maybe draped material hanging down.

Apart from that, I can't really think of anything else, I got a smoothie for xmas and I'm about to make a Banana and dark chocolate smoothie! Enjoy!

Peace,

Beardy.
  • karynatrychyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Beardy, thank you for the feedback!
    I totally agree about adding some more colors, I thought about packs of goods and ivy on the wall, tree is also a great idea, I will add something to bring more life into it.
     For scale I relied on the image below, but I probably need to adjust a few things to make them more clear.

Thanks again and merry christmas! :)
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay!
     I see! Yeah, it almost looks abandoned. Something that you've probably already looked at are references such as 'Abandoned architecture and Nature'. 

The focal story of your structure could be nothing more elegant that the abandoned building being overrun 'and in some areas' be structurally supported by nature. Depends where you take it haha!

I get what you mean now about the scale, in that case it may come together in the end and it's just my eyes :D 

Peace,

Beardy.

• karynatrychyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more tweaks and I think it's close to finish :)

• Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's looking good! I'm guessing you lowered the door (left side), scaled the donkey etc. The foliage looks great too!

I've just finished with a high poly project myself so I'm looking for a nice project to do, perhaps look into creating different types of rocks. :D 

Do you see anything that can be improved in this scene? When you look at it yourself karyn? 

Peace,
    Beardy

• karynatrychyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, Beardy! You are right, I lowered the height of the second floor and adjusted some other elements.
    I also started to make a tree, I found a kind of very cool looking argania trees with knotted trunks, but it drew too much attention to itself and rivaled with the building, so I changed it with humble grass :)

I regret I didn't plan a slightly larger environment, it would give me more options with composition. But for now I think I will finish this piece and start something new. There are so many things I want to do :)

Cheers!
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem! Nice conclusion to a project, it's always good to move on to something new :D 

Peace,
    Beardy.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
  • PianoPolish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PianoPolish polycounter lvl 8
    Wow... I really like the details that you have put in the moorish vectors and ornaments. And  the mule looks pretty cool. :)
  • karynatrychyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, guys! Glad you like it :)