Home Adobe Substance

Ivy / Foliage Generator

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Vincent074 polycounter lvl 7
Hello guys I was wondering if any of you substance designer wizard could help with an obstacle I'm trying to overcome. 

My goal is to create a sort of Ivy generator where I can just supply substance with 2 bitmaps
  • path for the Ivy branch
  • a leaf cutout

the effects  aren't finished yet, but I'm struggling to come up with a way to nicely distribute the leafs along the branches without making masks that cut the leafs in a weird manner. 

I could simply forget about the generator, and do it manually in Photoshop.. but I feel like if I have an answer to this problem I can apply the knowledge to a much broader scope

anyway, I would be grateful if you guys could share some of that knowledge   :)

Replies

• GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, nice branching you have there. Ivy generators are a cool idea. One day I was trying myself to get a correct L-systems for an random ivy plant with vanilla nodes and I got pretty funky results. About you problem I would try to focus on spawning the leaves in a general position of your branching with different sets of patterns or generator nodes or some kind of luminosity mask. I also heard about fx maps being a huge help in this situations. Good luck with this one! 
  • Vincent074
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent074 polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the advise, currently learning more about the pixel processor.. perhaps it could help :)
    If I manage to work it out ill post it here