Home Technical Talk

To MODO or not to MODO...: MODO VS the Rest... (MODO users needed!)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
hey all,

So, it has been quite some months since I last did 3D Modeling. I remembered that there was quite the MODO Buzz (meshfusion, nice booleans etc.) when I was still active and are now wondering if MODO is being more widely used and accepted by users and if they are glad they switched programs.

So for all MODO users;

1. Has the switch to MODO been worth it  (financial and time investment) ?
  2. Has MODO changed your workflow ? (faster/slower)
  3. Would you advice MODO for 3DART students ?
  4. What are some of the things you do NOT like about MODO ?

Replies

• Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    This will be interesting.
    I recently made the switch from Maya to Max and I'm really disappointed - especially about the lies of faster modelling and more robust history (modifier stack). I have a friend who whines a lot about Maya and is considering switching to Modo, so this thread might be a nice read for him as well.
  • MrBFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox greentooth
    I'm interested in trying Modo myself, the modelling tools ive heard tons about but what would be nice to hear is what the rigging tools in it are like compared to Maya/Max.
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just try blender. it's fairly easy to use and have a lot of shortcuts that will help you do your tasks. It just take a little getting used to. Plus, you can find add-ons that will help you maximize your work flow and facilitate the way you model. Finally, it's free.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkStar said:
    Just try blender. it's fairly easy to use and have a lot of shortcuts that will help you do your tasks. It just take a little getting used to. Plus, you can find add-ons that will help you maximize your work flow and facilitate the way you model. Finally, it's free.
    Blender is great but I doubt it can replace some of MODO''s flagship tools.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Well, there are some nice things about Blender that are much more of a pain to set up in Modo. Stuff like smoke simulation, high-performance rigs, responsive multires sculpting with eight million+ polygons, are all not really there in Modo. There's some other neat features in Blender like the grease pencil and the bevel modifier which don't really have an equivalent in Modo. Blender has also always been much more stable for me since about 2.61.

Meshfusion is only occasionally useful IMO compared to regular old booleans because the performance degrades very quickly after a few booleans. It can really save the day every once in a while but a lot of times regular old subd modeling is a better choice.

I'm definitely a lot faster at modeling in Modo than any Maya variant but only a little faster than I am in Blender. But, then again, I've been using Blender for about ten years and Modo for only around one. I'd advise giving both programs a try taking at least one simple asset all the way through the pipeline and see which one feels better to you.
  • a3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3D
    JedTheKrampus said:
    I'm definitely a lot faster at modeling in Modo than any Maya variant
    What is it that makes maya slower in your experience?
  • JamieRain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRain vertex
    Everyone keeps saying that they hear x is better and faster than x but I rarely ever see any in depth talks/arguments. I'm definitely going to check this thread often. I too was thinking of making the switch to Modo. 
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    I used to be a Maya user for 3-4 years. Eventually switched to Modo.

Modeling certainly feels better, as I dont have to worry about polygons optimisation so much. I can have as many N-gons as I want till very last moment. Maya would crash or break shading most of the time. And just in general its much more intuitive / streamlined. Add insane modo customisation and you have a mix for success :D
    Baking is WAY better too. 
    Better renderer. 
    Mesh Fusion.
    Cheaper.
    Less random crashes. 
    And so on.

As of students learning Modo first, not sure. They still need to know Maya / Max probably. As these 2 are still core 3D applications in game dev. 
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I spent a couple weeks learning Modo and symmetry kept breaking, the steps for fixing it were such that I reverted to Max.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Yep same, I gave it a fair shot but the way it handles symmetry made me give up fast. Very surprising it's not been fixed over the years.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Used to have problems with symmetry in 701-801. Works fine for me now all the time. If not mesh cleanup fixes it all in most cases and if that doesnt work, then there is instance mirror alternative similar to how you would work in Maya really. 

Also I believe in 901 you can have topology based mirror now too. 
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I'll bite. There are a lot of reasons why it takes me longer to get stuff done in Maya. First, in Maya you have less flexibility with geometry. For example, in Blender I can extrude a vertex like this and get a perfectly usable result for further modeling.

In Maya as far as I know you would have to do this with the Create EP Curve tool which means that you might have to make another curve and loft between the two, then convert the NURBS surface to geometry. And this is all time when you don't have access to mesh modeling tools that you might want to use like edge collapse, so you have to use the curve tools for everything. It's a very indirect and unwieldy way to work for me compared to the strategy of using geometry directly.

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The forum is being weird and only letting me post two paragraphs at a time. Continuing on:

Second, in Blender and Modo the bridge tools almost always work well with sort of arbitrary selections. Modo's is a little more finicky than Blender's which can bridge just about anything, but in any non-artificial situation it still does the job. I don't even know how many times I've tried to bridge something in Maya that should be bridgeable and it just won't work at all unless I do the bridge two edges at a time bit.  Also, if you bridge two regions of faces in Maya and there aren't the same number of faces it will just delete them without bridging anything. Blender can do that bridge no problem.

Third, Maya seems to crash a lot and do a lot of weird stuff. Despite Maya's restrictions on mesh geometry, I still find that my typical modeling methods always lead to something fucky eventually, and the mesh cleanup tool in Maya never seems to be able to clean it up--once a mesh is messed up in Maya, I usually can't seem to fix it, whereas with Modo and Blender I can usually figure out what's going on if the usual steps fail me (remove doubles, make normals consistent, and select non-manifold in Blender, and mesh cleanup in Modo) and get back to something usable. I delete my history lots in Maya and it never quite seemed to help, same thing with merging the mesh to a cube.

Fourth, I really, really dislike Maya's selection. I like to select stuff by clicking on it with a tablet, but with the default selection setup if you move your mouse just a little bit during the click it assumes you wanted to select with a box and selects stuff on the other side of the model. If you increase the size of the click dead space in the selection preferences it's still difficult to impossible to select an edge loop or face loop using the fast path in Maya (which is double-clicking on the next component while holding Shift.) Instead Maya will select all of the other faces besides the one you're clicking on to make the loop. Also, the select shortest path tool is really finicky in Maya because you have to click right on the vertices. In Blender it just selects the shortest path to the vertex that's closest in screen space, which makes it a lot easier to mark UV seams.

Fifth, there's a delay before marking menus open. I prefer that marking and radial menus open instantly and I really don't appreciate having to wait for half a second to start getting to something that's in a second tier like edge collapse or having to wait for half a second to get to an entry that I don't remember. It's a small thing but it really annoys me.

Sixth, I really like Modo's baker. It's pretty good for normals and AO and it's OK for lightmaps. It's got one of the best rounded corners shaders around, has solid antialiasing, and handles floaters pretty well. Blender's bakers are bad compared to Maya (no AA and slow) and it's one of the areas where I hope to see some improvement but don't quite know enough to make the situation better.

There are more things that I don't like about Maya but I feel like this post is wearing on a bit so I'll wrap it up.

Maybe Maya genuinely has a bunch of usability and stability problems, but it's also possible that since I've been using Blender for so long I'm just not used to doing things the Maya way. I hear a lot of the same stuff from people coming from 3ds Max to Blender. The thing about Blender and Maya is that there are lots of pitfalls and gotchas you have to watch out for, and while I know just about all of them for Blender I just know a few for Maya (like, always delete history before doing rigging and animation, and the combine with a sphere trick.) Maya has great pipeline integration and animation tools, so I can understand why it's the industry standard, but I feel justified when I say that I don't like the way it does a lot of things.

As for Modo symmetry, I find mirrored instances to be pretty reliable. Mostly I try to avoid the builtin symmetry except for very simple stuff.
  • Owers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owers polycounter lvl 10
    Modo is weird. I've been using it for years and love it, but find it very difficult to recommend to others simply because of its off-putting quirks. For example, its modelling tools are great and you can work quite fast if you adapt to using keyboard shortcuts as opposed to the UI, and its UV tools are just as good. But it also lacks some tools that you'd take for granted in Max or Maya, such as manipulating vertex normals (you must install Farfarer's vertex normal toolkit to use soft/hard edges and even then it's not perfect), and viewing/controlling vertex colours (supported, but the tools are absolutely abysmal). I've also found its stability to be diminishing since starting with 501. I'm still on 801 so I don't know if anything has improved since then.

I'd say get the trial and try to make something simple using the same process as you would in any other program. If you come across any roadblocks due to missing or insufficient tools and you absolutely can't work around them then maybe consider using something else. Otherwise stick to it, because it can really can be a great program in certain aspects.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually Modo's smoothing groups are all right for soft/hard edges, but the discoverability is pretty bad and the implementation is a little weird. It's in the menus, under Geometry->Polygon->Set Smoothing Groups, and each smoothing group is a letter or number. So for example you could have smoothing group A on one area and smoothing group B on the other, then you would set the smoothing group to AB on an area between them to have a soft edge between that group and the others. It's a little cumbersome and it only works if there's no vertex map with custom normals, so you can't use it at the same time as the vertex normal toolkit IIRC. Put the command on a hotkey and it's a reasonably fast way to set up hard edges where you need them.
  • Owers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owers polycounter lvl 10
    Oh right. Yeah, I used to rely on smooth groups in Modo quite a bit. But I've been using Farfarer's toolkit for so long I've completely forgot about them. They did have an annoying tendency to break when smooth groups where combined though (using AB in your example), I think that's what pushed me towards installing the toolkit in the first place. But that certainly is an option.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah they're definitely a little weird sometimes. The vertex normals toolkit is definitely a step up.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I enjoyed modeling in Modo a lot. And I've been a Maya user since 2007. It certainly is a breathe of fresh air.

At the end tho I perfer to render my things in Maya due to its many selection of plug-ins. Renderman, Arnold, V-ray, Redshift3D to name a few.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always go MODO :P

I've been using MODO since 101. It's hard to nail down exactly what it is about it that feels good... partly it's that the majority of tools and features all work together across all the things (sculpt tools work on sculpts, but also regular geometry, and on UVs) all the falloffs and action centres work in 3D and UV space, as do the transform and modelling tools, etc... there's not 3 versions of the same functionality depending on what you're doing.

The scripting and customisation is also (although tricky at times) really powerful.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    Massive fan boy here and I seriously cannot tell you how much time I save using modo over maya / max.

I will say up front that I found the switch from Max > Maya far easier then the switch to Maya to Modo - Modo just kind of works "different" and I found it took a bit of time to adjust my work flow in my head.

My second point is that Modo, out of the box, is not massively optimized for creating game art. It takes a bit of time to understand that new workflow as I said before, what tools are useful etc and then customize your own UI / Interface. This is pretty easy to do in Modo but it does take some time and patience. 

But I've now been on it since 701 and once you got this bad boy set up, get a few must have scripts + plugs in installed its an absolute work horse. 

The modeling tools are really good, pile on top of this the upgraded snapping tools from 801, the work plane and action centers you have a stunning package that allows you to model really complex shapes really quick.

Then you got the UV tools! Now this is a massive time saver for me, the "unwrap" tool, relax tools and packing tools have serisoly saved me months of dev time since starting out. MASSIVELY useful with light mapping UV's and I've recently discovered Farfarers align and texel density tools which again, saving masses + masses of time. 

Few other bits I love...

Baking outputs alow you to setup all your bakes and burn out everything in one click! Very useful.

Duplication tools are mega simple, again once you combine them with action centers and snapping these are so powerful and easy to use...

Copy + Paste, this is so simple but its so awesome... you can just Ctrl C + Ctrl V any verts, edges, polys, meshes from once mesh to another or into new scenes + objects... it sounds simple but its so damn handy! 

these are just a few useful bits really but to sum it up! It takes a bit of getting use to but once it clicks its a stunning all round package and for a pricetag of 900£ its a bargin. I'll be pretty surprised if modo is not a much bigger player in the games indy in the next 5-10 years for sure. 
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Returned to Maya for a few weeks for unrusting my skills in it after 2 years using Modo extensively.
    Maya is really behind in making selections. In several instances you have to click everything you want to select while in Modo I can use smart selections and the built-in paint selection. Also, the way Modo separates Backface Selections by using Middle Click or Right Click is far superior than having to check a toogle option.

I will probably continue to use Modo as my modelling app and Maya for everything else. Watching Tor Frick is also a huge motivation for me to continue to customize the heck out of Modo and become as fast as he is.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    customize the heck out of Modo

This is the key to modo once you know how to model with it  B) I rarely use the menus as I have my own scripts and a tool box just a click away. Means you can stay in the zone without crawling through menus to get what you need.

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    During my early learning years and my whole professional career I've gone from: 3ds Max -> Maya  -> 3ds Max -> Maya -> Modo. After all this time I believe without a doubt that Modo is the most powerful modeling package.

Though I would love some of the Maya UV-tools and I would def love some better vertex normal tools, even though the Vertex Normal Toolkit is amazing, it's still lacking some things.
  • echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    I have a question for the Modo professionals here.  I few months ago I had told a friend(who has been a bit of a mentor) that I was thinking of picking up Modo since I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about it and it's cheaper than Max( it was time to renew my Max license) and his response was basically this(paraphrasing): why?  Modo is still a niche tool and no employer will buy Modo for just one guy, you'll conform to their workflow and tools.  Either stick with Max or pick up Maya.

How true is it?  Does Modo have a decent market share, or is it pretty niche?  I would love to pick it up, we've got a few floating copies at work so I've been slowly learning it, but I still need to use Max as my primary modeler.  Is it worth spending the money and time on it if I'll only be using it at home?  Should I just stick with Max(I'm actually very happy with Max, Max & Blender are my primary modeling tools).
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6

I have a question for the Modo professionals here.  I few months ago I had told a friend(who has been a bit of a mentor) that I was thinking of picking up Modo since I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about it and it's cheaper than Max( it was time to renew my Max license) and his response was basically this(paraphrasing): why?  Modo is still a niche tool and no employer will buy Modo for just one guy, you'll conform to their workflow and tools.  Either stick with Max or pick up Maya.

How true is it?  Does Modo have a decent market share, or is it pretty niche?  I would love to pick it up, we've got a few floating copies at work so I've been slowly learning it, but I still need to use Max as my primary modeler.  Is it worth spending the money and time on it if I'll only be using it at home?  Should I just stick with Max(I'm actually very happy with Max, Max & Blender are my primary modeling tools).
    Not a Modo user, but I think the license is flexible so that it allows you to use your personal license at work.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Not mentioned a lot in this discussions, but although there's less tutorials for Modo out there, some of the stuff is really legit. Richard Yot's Shading Masterclass was responsible for great leaps in my understanding about materials, especially at the time when PBR was heavily discussed everyday. His Shaderball scene is also fantastic for studying shaders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dabUGczE_d8

https://vimeo.com/richardyot/videos
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I bought my own license and use it every day. No hassle of asking the employer, its fairly cheap anyway especially during discounted periods. Some people use blender this isnt any different. I use Max / Maya only for final steps of the workflow. 
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I don't have any complaints with Maya modeling toolkit; there are so many scripts for Maya plus you can create your own.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Modo is great these days so long as you have a high end gpu (performance is horrible on mid range gpus compared to Max/Maya).

@echofourpapa
    Unfortunately Modos market share still seems to be a tiny fraction of Maya's/Max's. I think it might be smaller then Blenders too. Like others have said though, the license is flexible, so if you're employer is OK with it you can use your own license at work instead of them having to foot the bill.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some great feedback and  tips already, thanks guys.

My PC is actually horribly outdated but it still manages to run MODO alright. I cannot use OPENGL/ADVANCED OPENGL but I do not even know it's benefits (something to do with HDRR?).

What troubles me the most as a 3d student is that there are basically no Game Art tutorials available for MODO. Sure there are some modeling tutorials worth watching but real lowpoly/smoothing groups/baking/texturing I have yet to find.  Maybe some of you can be superduper awesome and make a relatively simple asset from start to finish using MODO.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Here are some good YouTube channels that might help you, they sure did help me grasp Modo faster after switching from Maya:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDmOobbSOonY66M6fsJO7GQ
    https://www.youtube.com/user/patcran/featured
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ2NYo3MqqKi96TqQyl5_jQ
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm0eInZakuzX4sEGcMO4c5w

Also, The Foundry is going to have a series of webinars:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/161767/modo-mari-games-webinar-series#latest

You can also find great ones on Gumroad.  I recommend Tor Frick and Vaughan Ling.  And if you're interested in offline rendering, Richard Yot got you covered with a series of training on shader setups, materials etc on Vimeo.

Only downside I can see in Modo vs Maya is the lack of support from third party applications / lack of plugins.  Apart from that, love every bit of it.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've thought about doing this before - only problem is I've customized my interface so much that I dont know how useful it would be. I'd have to combine any tutorials with my config's so you wouldnt be seeing the out the box version. 
  • echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    To everyone who answered my question, thank you!  I think I'm going to pick it up.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    What troubles me the most as a 3d student is that there are basically no Game Art tutorials available for MODO.
    Not an asset tutorial but the link in my signature has a (slightly outdated) tutorial on optimising modo for game art purposes, mostly links to scripts really. But don't be discouraged by a lack of tutorials (and there are game art tutorials — Tor Fricks Modular Environment Masterclass comes to mind, though the bulk of that is UDK stuff) there's little I can think of specific to modo and game art that isn't covered somewhere. A lot of knowledge from other packages carry over (particularly in regards to modeling).
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10

What troubles me the most as a 3d student is that there are basically no Game Art tutorials available for MODO.
    there are a bunch of them at Digital Tutors. Also you can buy Tor Frick's tuts from Steam or from his Gumroad page. 
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What troubles me the most as a 3d student is that there are basically no Game Art tutorials available for MODO. Sure there are some modeling tutorials worth watching but real lowpoly/smoothing groups/baking/texturing I have yet to find.  Maybe some of you can be superduper awesome and make a relatively simple asset from start to finish using MODO.

The thing is that the techniques are the same, it's just the software that changes. So, why do you even bother about game specific tutorials when you can achieve the same things (specificaly Subdiv) in most of the software you can find. I think that your perception of being good at something is dependant of the tools you use, but that's not true. Personnaly, i would suggest you to learn how to model first, then after, if you think that a software will make you go faster, find the one that fits most of your needs.  It's like buying a car... :D:p  The main purpose is to get from point A to point B and im sure that someone who has a Jetta can be faster then someone who has a Ferrari. It's all about the driving skills.  And don't get me wrong, i'm not telling you that MODO is a Ferrari.

• StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was going to do some UVing at home on Monday Morning around 8.30-9ish gmt - quite happy to jump on twitch for a wile if your intrested.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tzur_H for the suggestions. Will check out those webinars for sure :)

@ STORMYBA, I think it would still be useful regardless of the customized interface you have. Additional plugins or scripts or more important since they allow operations the main program cannot do.
    I hope you
    dzibarik said:

there are a bunch of them at Digital Tutors. Also you can buy Tor Frick's tuts from Steam or from his Gumroad page. 
    Mind = blown! So glad Tor decided to do some tutorials. Thanks a bunch for pointing this out.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MisterSande