Home Technical Talk

Injecting custom screen space effects into maya viewport

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
brurpo polycounter lvl 8
I know that I can create custom effects and plug it into the plugin slots of viewport 2.0, but I am no programmer and cannot create such complex codes and dll's

I tried reshade, a neat injector for games that uses its own shading language thats adaptive and works with dx8 dx9 dx10 dx11 and opengl with the same code.

Got a shader package for it from Marty Mcfly called MasterEffect and modified it a little so some of those things worked in maya.

There are a lot of problems, it cannot store more then one frame, so temporal filters are not possible.
It access the zbuffer to do its magic.
But it only access the zbuffer (it uses it to create a normal buffer) so only "simple" filters are possible, as there is no other info, screen space reflections, screen space raytracing, voxel based effects, etc, are not possible. Also, if MSAA is turned on, reshade cannot access the zbuffer anymore, so effects that need it wont work. There is SMAA (post processing anti-alias) in it, but its not as effective as using maya's MSAA.

Also, playblast, obviously, does not capture it, neighter the render.

I have to use an old version of fraps that does not repeat frames, it only writes a frame when the frame updates, so I can set maya to play every frame max real time, and fraps will correctly record it, regardless of the frame rate (its impossible to do it with newer versions of fraps)

Anyway, it works. (kinda)

There are a lot of screen space effects, depth independent, and two depth dependent.

SSAO (using a method to add fake color bleed) and DOF both need the depth.

Here are some tests:

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Hey this is some cool stuff!
    Going to try it out myself. Thanks for sharing.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I love it!
    Just playing around with all the preset FX so far. Lots of fun. Maya with god rays and lens flares is fantastic! Very nextgen modelling experience.
  • brurpo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brurpo polycounter lvl 8
    HAHA!
    Well there is another thing I figured out about it.
    Even tough you turn on float point render target, reshade can only use it when you turn on MSAA (???) no idea why, otherwise it will use LDR frame buffer, and if you turn MSAA on, reshade cannot access the zbuffer. :(

Will try to create a thread at reshade forum, and see if we can sort some of those things out!

Anyway, I guess reshade is a good alternative to showcase your models without the need to go outside maya, like marmoset, or a game engine.
  • Cryunreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Can you give me link on your reshading implementation? It is very interesting.